Since Tanix TX6 can boot from the SD card

xaduha

i tried the 5.2.8 dtb, but this is not the problem - no output on hdmi neither. on my other qplus box hdmi out works fine with 5.3, so the problem seems to be specific to the eachlink box. so looks like there is no real way around some kernel bisecting to find out which commit is causing this ...

33 minutes ago, hexdump said:

some kernel bisecting to find out which commit is causing this ...

I would highly appreciate this, otherwise it's impossible for me to find real cause, especially without HW in question.

@hexdump that should be non-breaking commit, so if you're not up to fixing it, please reply to that patch with bug report (you can download mbox version of that patch, import it in your e-mail client and then simply reply to it).

Anyway, I would still like to fix original issue, but I really don't know where to start...

@jernej - i did not find any way to download the message as mbox file - neither on patchwork nor on the list archive - and i'm not sure if i would be able to import it into gmail ... could you maybe please reply, reference my bisect message from above and put me on cc? (i assume you are on dri-devel - right?)

a lot of thanks in advance and best wishes - hexdump

@hexdump can you try this to see if it helps with eachlink HDMI connection detection? Replace "DRM_CONNECTOR_POLL_HPD" in https://elixir.bootlin.com/linux/latest/source/drivers/gpu/drm/bridge/synopsys/dw-hdmi.c#L2118 with "DRM_CONNECTOR_POLL_CONNECT | DRM_CONNECTOR_POLL_DISCONNECT".

It's just workaround, but if it helps, it will help with understanding of the problem.

@jernej - sorry - the above values were when booted 5.3-rc3 with your test from above - monitor connected, but no hdmi output. the below is 5.2.8 with working hdmi out:

0x06000104 - 0x0
0x06003000 - 0x2E
0x06003004 - 0xF1
0x06003007 - 0x2

best wishes - hexdump

@jernej - the result for 5.2.8 without your suggested change and without video=HDMI-A-1:e are the same as for the 5.3-rc3 version above (i.e. non working hdmi) - the 5.2.8 results from above are without your suggested change and with video=HDMI-A-1:e (i.e. working hdmi)

meh, I really don't know what to do at this point without actually having HW here. There are several known issues with H6 HDMI driver and they are all strange. Maybe if I manage to fix at least one I'll be able to deduce what could be the reason for others.

I have one possible solution in mind for DRAM driver though. I'll make test patch a bit later.

@jernej - could it maybe be that the eachlink simply has a hardware design failure, so that some hdmi detection signal is not properly connected and maybe even android uses the forced hdmi connect? ... with this eachlink box nothing would surprise me: the dram seems to be strange, the serial connector is there, but one has to solder in additional stuff to actually make it work etc.

looking forward to your dram ideas - do you think there is a chance to really get 3gb out of this box? or only to make it booting safe without mem=2048M?

do you also have some idea what might be the problem with emmc on those h6 tv boxes?

best wishes - hexdump

7 hours ago, hexdump said:

could it maybe be that the eachlink simply has a hardware design failure, so that some hdmi detection signal is not properly connected and maybe even android uses the forced hdmi connect?

Maybe, but I doubt. Still, you can check if pin 19 on HDMI connector is wired (HPD pin, source https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/HDMI). From what I see, BSP also uses this for monitor detection.

Anyway, there might be some HW thing, since only STBs show some type of HDMI issues (monitor detection on Eachlink, CEC issue on Tanix TX6).

looking forward to your dram ideas - do you think there is a chance to really get 3gb out of this box? or only to make it booting safe without mem=2048M?

Given that experiments confirmed my theory, I think only 2 GiB can be used. I'm trying to achieve correct detection - 2 GiB without workaround. We'll see.

do you also have some idea what might be the problem with emmc on those h6 tv boxes?

No, not really. eMMC is not so important to me, so I don't think I'll investigate this anytime soon.

BTW, initial Tanix TX6 DT was merged to mainline yesterday (without ethernet for now).

@jernej - yes, i'll test it - i should have more time the next days - on my list: half dq u-boot test, uboot 2gb detection on eachlink, the above emmc patch and responding to the driv-devel list regarding the video= cmdline parser regression ...

it is funny, i ran across this emmc fix for the h5 today as well and had in mind to test if it might apply to the h6 too :)

@jernej - good news: this patch seems to fix the emmc problem - on the eachlink i can now read and write the emmc in a stable way and on the qplus - where it was hanging on boot with emmc enabled in dtb - it does not hang anymore on boot and i can also read and write the emmc :)

@jernej - i just tested your eachlink dram issue patch from above, but sadly it still reports 3gb with it :( ... i used current mainline u-boot, plus your h6 plus half-dq patch and the eachlink h6 mini config and dtb from your u-boot tree

half-dq test on tx6 mini will follow most probably tomorrow ...

update: half-dq patch tested now as well successfully and reported to the u-boot list ...