Ubuntu Bionic image is missing chromedriver package

I'm using Armbian's Ubuntu Bionic image on a Libre Computer AML-S905X-CC (LePotato). It appears the chromedirver package is not available:

Package chromedriver is not available, but is referred to by another package.
This may mean that the package is missing, has been obsoleted, or is only available
from another source

E: Package 'chromedriver' has no installation candidate

My use case is, I need to file an online complaint with a regulatory agency. The complaint is filed via a Python script, and Python uses Selenium to operate the web browser and populate the four page form.

Please provide chromedriver (Chromium) and geckodriver (Firefox/Iceweasel) for the platform.

-----

Note that the web drivers can be tricky on ARM. I've got a working script that uses Python and Selenium on Fedora 29, x86_64. I need to port to low cost ARM hardware. To date I have not been successful with getting things working with Chromium/Chromedriver or Firefox/Geckodriver on ARM. I've even tried to build Geckodriver from Rust/Cargo sources.

One of the sore spots in building chromedriver and geckodriver is, the projects use that damn abandonware model. You have to start at Chromium or Firefox provided by the platform, and then use an old version of the driver that matches the web browser. The old version of the driver will be unsupported because they only support bleeding edge, so you have to work around past problems that never got fixed.

-----

$ lsb_release -a
No LSB modules are available.
Distributor ID: Ubuntu
Description:    Ubuntu 18.04.2 LTS
Release:        18.04
Codename:       bionic

8 hours ago, Jeffrey Walton said:

Please provide chromedriver (Chromium) and geckodriver (Firefox/Iceweasel) for the platform.

If its missing, talk to Ubuntu to pack this for you or do some research if its packed and provided in some non-standard repository.

Or just clone and compile:
https://github.com/bayandin/chromedriver

2 hours ago, Jeffrey Walton said:

Bugs get reported to the platform provider first.

You did and I gave you advice what would IMHO be best to do. Please don't expect anyone will invest hours or weeks of their private time to solve a problem you have with a software which has absolutely nothing to do with Armbian. If you can't do it, check perhaps here https://www.debian.org/consultants/ or proceed as advised. Armbian is amateur based. We fix only problems we made and when we find time. Sometimes it takes days, sometimes years. 

Excerpt from licence under which Armbian is provided:
https://github.com/armbian/build/blob/master/LICENSE

NO WARRANTY

11. BECAUSE THE PROGRAM IS LICENSED FREE OF CHARGE, THERE IS NO WARRANTY
FOR THE PROGRAM, TO THE EXTENT PERMITTED BY APPLICABLE LAW.  EXCEPT WHEN
OTHERWISE STATED IN WRITING THE COPYRIGHT HOLDERS AND/OR OTHER PARTIES
PROVIDE THE PROGRAM "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESSED
OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING, BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF
MERCHANTABILITY AND FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE.  THE ENTIRE RISK AS
TO THE QUALITY AND PERFORMANCE OF THE PROGRAM IS WITH YOU.  SHOULD THE
PROGRAM PROVE DEFECTIVE, YOU ASSUME THE COST OF ALL NECESSARY SERVICING,
REPAIR OR CORRECTION.

15 hours ago, Igor said:

You did and I gave you advice what would IMHO be best to do. Please don't expect anyone will invest hours or weeks of their private time to solve a problem you have with a software which has absolutely nothing to do with Armbian...

Armbian provided the software.

8 hours ago, Jeffrey Walton said:

Armbian provided the software.

What you want is perhaps possible with a commercial support contract. But since we are very low on people, this seems unrealistic.

On 4/29/2019 at 4:35 PM, Jeffrey Walton said:

Armbian provided the software

Wait.... The tone of your message, and the lack of used words, indicate that you do not get the concept of free open source software.

You haven't paid a dime for it but expect, and basically insist judging from your messages, that you get support.

I think @Igor was very clear, and friendly, in pointing you in the direction how to solve the issue. If you expect more, find a commercial distribution which runs on your hardware, which has the option to buy commercial support.

On 4/20/2019 at 5:10 PM, Jeffrey Walton said:

'm using Armbian's Ubuntu Bionic image on a Libre Computer AML-S905X-CC (LePotato). It appears the chromedirver package is not available:

It's not available in the Ubuntu AMD64 repos either...

As suggested, you'll have to sync up to the git src and build it yourself (or find a local freelancer if needed) - as this project chases a moving bus with dependencies on the version of Chrome itself (which is constantly changing), this would be a bit maintenance intensive...

Hello,

So it's possible to develop selenium for Armbian if we pay someone skilled enough for ?

I mean it's technically possible to do it ?

Just asking, because I really need it. But no idea which price it could be.

I know it works on raspeberry pi.

Or did someone make geckodriver work ?

Thanks.

Edited by Dliryc

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.