Zyxel NAS326 (Armada 380) booting from UART problem

@GUTEK@

Question

Hello
(sorry, I am writing through a translator)
I have a Zyxel NAS326 with a physically damaged NAND - it does not save the device configuration.

board photo:

mobo.jpg
Because I do not have access to the programmer, I want to replace NAND and program it in the NAS.
However, I can not run U-Boot via UART.
I tried the adapters on PL2303HX and FTDI FT232RL.
I'm using a kwboot on this topic:

and the u-boot file from this: https://forum.doozan.com/read.php?2,27108,31893#msg-31893

Every time this error pops up:

root@gutek3:/gutek/nas326# ./kwboot-x86_64 -f -t -B 115200 /dev/ttyUSB0 -b uboot.bin -s 0 -q 1
Sending boot message. Please reboot the target...|
Sending boot image...
  0 % [+++++++++++++++++xmodem: Bad message

Sometimes it seems to start uploading, but there is also a error:

root@gutek3:/gutek/nas326# ./kwboot-x86_64 -f -t -B 115200 /dev/ttyUSB0 -b uboot.bin -s 0 -q 1
Sending boot message. Please reboot the target...\
Sending boot image...
  0 % [......................................................................]
  0 % [..................................+++++++++++++++++xmodem: Bad message

Please help.
Thank you.

1 answer to this question

You probably know that you're a bit off-topic, so I won't go into further details about that. :)

This very much sounds like a handshake problem, such as ...

* Bad connection (bad wiring, lose connection, etc.)

* Incorrect timing on the UART interface

* EMI problems (make sure your board is not near strong electrically generated magnetic fields, such as transformers, mobile phones, WiFi etc.)

On the mentioned URL, did you notice this ...

If you apply this patch to u-boot tree and build it, you will get a kwboot binary that works for Armada 38x chips. The timing is still variable, so it will take multiple attempts to successfully kwboot, but it is definitely possible.

... Looks very much like UART timing is off, which is likely what's wrong and why you sometimes almost succeed and sometimes it stops working immediately.

You're likely on the right track, this kwboot thing just seems to be flakey. I'd try using another program for the uploading.

As far as I understand, a standard serial terminal that supports Xmodem, will do fine.

I'm sorry I can't be of more help, but I hope that you'll get the board up and running; it seems like a nice one; especially if you can modify it to support more than two drives.