OrangePiZero AP-wifi authentication issue:

madurani

Armbianmonitor:

Hello guys,

I configured bridge via nmcli/nmtui br0. Slave devices of bridge are eth0 and wlan0(as wifi access point).

OS: Armbian_5.59_Orangepizero_Ubuntu_xenial_default_3.4.113

root@orion2:~# nmcli c s
NAME                UUID                                  TYPE             DEVICE  
bridge-br0          fff57bce-6051-458d-9394-7101741af59f  bridge           br0     
bridge-slave-eth0   25720542-2bdd-498e-992e-4415385673d5  802-3-ethernet   eth0    
bridge-slave-wlan0  ed8b07bf-a793-4717-8c99-2e84d54af672  802-11-wireless  wlan0  

Configuration looks fine, but when I try login to AP, my smart phone shows error message: "Authentication issue" , and on side of server:

orion2 wpa_supplicant[1017]: WPA: wpa_sm_step() called recursively
Device is trying to offload WPS Probe Response while not supporting this

Configuration of AP:

Spoiler

root@orion2:~# nmcli c s bridge-slave-wlan0
connection.id:                          bridge-slave-wlan0
connection.uuid:                        ed8b07bf-a793-4717-8c99-2e84d54af672
connection.interface-name:              wlan0
connection.type:                        802-11-wireless
connection.autoconnect:                 yes
connection.autoconnect-priority:        0
connection.timestamp:                   1555962464
connection.read-only:                   no
connection.permissions:                  
connection.zone:                        --
connection.master:                      fff57bce-6051-458d-9394-7101741af59f
connection.slave-type:                  bridge
connection.autoconnect-slaves:          -1 (default)
connection.secondaries:                  
connection.gateway-ping-timeout:        0
connection.metered:                     unknown
connection.lldp:                        -1 (default)
802-11-wireless.ssid:                   Orion2
802-11-wireless.mode:                   ap
802-11-wireless.band:                   bg
802-11-wireless.channel:                7
802-11-wireless.bssid:                  --
802-11-wireless.rate:                   0
802-11-wireless.tx-power:               0
802-11-wireless.mac-address:            --
802-11-wireless.cloned-mac-address:     --
802-11-wireless.mac-address-blacklist:   
802-11-wireless.mac-address-randomization:default
802-11-wireless.mtu:                    auto
802-11-wireless.seen-bssids:            DC:44:6D:F6:92:CB
802-11-wireless.hidden:                 no
802-11-wireless.powersave:              default (0)
802-11-wireless-security.key-mgmt:      wpa-psk
802-11-wireless-security.wep-tx-keyidx: 0
802-11-wireless-security.auth-alg:      --
802-11-wireless-security.proto:          
802-11-wireless-security.pairwise:       
802-11-wireless-security.group:          
802-11-wireless-security.leap-username: --
802-11-wireless-security.wep-key0:      <hidden>
802-11-wireless-security.wep-key1:      <hidden>
802-11-wireless-security.wep-key2:      <hidden>
802-11-wireless-security.wep-key3:      <hidden>
802-11-wireless-security.wep-key-flags: 0 (none)
802-11-wireless-security.wep-key-type:  0 (unknown)
802-11-wireless-security.psk:           <hidden>
802-11-wireless-security.psk-flags:     0 (none)
802-11-wireless-security.leap-password: <hidden>
802-11-wireless-security.leap-password-flags:0 (none)
bridge-port.priority:                   32
bridge-port.path-cost:                  100
bridge-port.hairpin-mode:               no
GENERAL.NAME:                           bridge-slave-wlan0
GENERAL.UUID:                           ed8b07bf-a793-4717-8c99-2e84d54af672
GENERAL.DEVICES:                        wlan0
GENERAL.STATE:                          activated
GENERAL.DEFAULT:                        no
GENERAL.DEFAULT6:                       no
GENERAL.VPN:                            no
GENERAL.ZONE:                           --
GENERAL.DBUS-PATH:                      /org/freedesktop/NetworkManager/ActiveConnection/2
GENERAL.CON-PATH:                       /org/freedesktop/NetworkManager/Settings/2
GENERAL.SPEC-OBJECT:                    /org/freedesktop/NetworkManager/AccessPoint/1
GENERAL.MASTER-PATH:                    /org/freedesktop/NetworkManager/Devices/3

Could you please help me with solving wpa_supplicant issue?

Thank you,

Marek

Edited by Tido
added spoiler - for better reading, please do that yourself next time. thx

11 hours ago, madurani said:

Could you please help me with solving wpa_supplicant issue?

First you have to ACK that on-board wireless drivers with legacy kernels are lowest quality. Running AP is already an added value ... if you get that far. This chip or let's say wireless driver is the worst out of the worst. Keep that in mind when engaging in a complex setup. Next. Network manager which came with the Ubuntu Xenial is on the level "barely working", while on Debian Jessie already makes troubles in the default setups.

If you are planning to make this work, start at least with a modern 4.19.y kernel, where driver is sadly the same quality, but at least other things are better. And with Debian Stretch or Ubuntu Bionic, where Network manager comes with much less bugs.

My suggestion is also to use some known to work, well supported USB wireless chip at least for setting things up. In a current setup, kernel 3.4.113 + OPi zero wifi, chances for success are tiny.

9 minutes ago, Igor said:

First you have to ACK that on-board wireless drivers with legacy kernels are lowest quality. Running AP is already an added value ... if you get that far. This chip or let's say wireless driver is the worst out of the worst. Keep that in mind when engaging in a complex setup. Next. Network manager which came with the Ubuntu Xenial is on the level "barely working", while on Debian Jessie already makes troubles in the default setups.

If you are planning to make this work, start at least with a modern 4.19.y kernel, where driver is sadly the same quality, but at least other things are better. And with Debian Stretch or Ubuntu Bionic, where Network manager comes with much less bugs.

My suggestion is also to use some known to work, well supported USB wireless chip at least for setting things up. In a current setup, kernel 3.4.113 + OPi zero wifi, chances for success are tiny.

I used old kednel, because I read on some other topics, that driver xradio_wlan work there without problem.

Could You please advice/recommend me some supported chip(usb wireless) which work without kernel recompilation and driver is included there?

3 minutes ago, madurani said:

because I read on some other topics, that driver xradio_wlan work there without problem

xradio_wlan doesn't work without problems anywhere. We wasted so much time with it, because of it, that its pointless to loose more.

5 minutes ago, madurani said:

Could You please advice

See download pages for tested hardware and see which recommended ones fit your budget - recommended is Realtek 8811AU. Most of them works (fine) only with a modern kernel, but lower you go, more problems and lack of advances functions are expected. I can't provide you more details, what function works and where. Don't have that info.

2 hours ago, Igor said:

if you are planning to make this work, start at least with a modern 4.19.y kernel, ....

I completely reinstalled OS to Linux 4.19.25-sunxi, but same problem with wpa persist. But it look, that reason for problem isn't driver of wifi, but kernel, because error message note, that "offload WPS Probe" isn't supported in kernel:

Apr 23 10:27:42 orion2 wpa_supplicant[660]: Device is trying to offload WPS Probe Response while not supporting this
Apr 23 10:27:42 orion2 kernel: [   73.846396] netlink: 'wpa_supplicant': attribute type 213 has an invalid length.
Apr 23 10:27:42 orion2 kernel: [   73.849554] netlink: 'wpa_supplicant': attribute type 213 has an invalid length.
Apr 23 10:27:42 orion2 wpa_supplicant[660]: Device is trying to offload WPS Probe Response while not supporting this
Apr 23 10:27:42 orion2 wpa_supplicant[660]: wlan0: CTRL-EVENT-SCAN-FAILED ret=-95 retry=1

1 minute ago, madurani said:

isn't driver of wifi, but kernel, because error message note, that "offload WPS Probe" isn't supported in kernel:

That is too quick to conclude. The driver is identical. But you can try with some other wifi hardware to make such conclusion.

I tried configure one USB-WIFI(which I had home): >>> ID 0bda:8171 Realtek Semiconductor Corp. RTL8188SU 802.11n WLAN Adapter

wlan0     unassociated  Nickname:"rtl_wifi"
         Mode:Managed  Access Point: Not-Associated   Sensitivity:0/0   
         Retry:off   RTS thr:off   Fragment thr:off
         Encryption key:off
         Power Management:off
         Link Quality:0  Signal level:0  Noise level:0
         Rx invalid nwid:0  Rx invalid crypt:0  Rx invalid frag:0
         Tx excessive retries:0  Invalid misc:0   Missed beacon:0

root@orion2:~# nmcli d
DEVICE  TYPE      STATE         CONNECTION  
br0     bridge    connected     Bridge      
wlan0   wifi      disconnected  --        

It should be managed via r8712u module . All look correct, but device stay DOWN and isn't possible to brink it to UP.

It look, that will be problem find some USB-WIFI device which will be correct to work with Armbian kernel. 

2 hours ago, madurani said:

to work with Armbian kernel. 

... to work under Linux in general. If you use old kernels you are just further away.

Just a note that more wireless chips are supported out of the box under modern Armbian kernels then on upstream kernel from Ubuntu or Debian. Try if you don't believe :) 

Yes, it will not be simple. Welcome to Linux wireless networking.

1 hour ago, madurani said:

Kernel should be new:

root@orion2:~# uname -a
Linux orion2 4.19.25-sunxi #5.78 SMP Mon Apr 8 07:46:22 CEST 2019 armv7l armv7l armv7l GNU/Linux

Yes, that's a good start.

I tried with Realtek 8811 - it works fine if AP is without password while it doesn't if I set password. We could conclude its something generic, bug in Network manager or something in kernel is missing, but what?

uname -a
Linux lime 5.0.9-sunxi
Ubuntu Bionic

BTW. You can achieve the same network topology with ifupdown + hostapd and there such setup is known to work. Also with better performance.

1 hour ago, Igor said:

Yes, that's a good start.

I tried with Realtek 8811 - it works fine if AP is without password while it doesn't if I set password. We could conclude its something generic, bug in Network manager or something in kernel is missing, but what?

uname -a
Linux lime 5.0.9-sunxi
Ubuntu Bionic

It can be wpa_supplicant. and parameter disable_scan_offload. But config file of wpa_supplicant not exist and service is managed via NM.

Same issue was reported in redhat bugzilla https://bugzilla.redhat.com/show_bug.cgi?id=1570903. Issue should be solved with patch in version wpa_supplicant-2.6-16. I am not sure, but I think, that in Armbian is some older version(now I don't known check it) of mentioned package, but it is relevant with distribution based on RHEL. Probably is needed raise some bug for Armbian, but I haven't idea how to do.

System reported same issue:

netlink: 'wpa_supplicant': attribute type 213 has an invalid length.

47 minutes ago, madurani said:

Probably is needed raise some bug for Armbian, but I haven't idea how to do.

Pointless - we can't and don't fix upstream bugs. Reason? Number of employees: RedHat (12.000). Ubuntu (600), Armbian (0)

We use stock Ubuntu or Debian package base/versions. "Armbian Bionic" has the same package versions as "Ubuntu Bionic". Main change is in the kernel and optimizations.

On 4/23/2019 at 7:45 PM, Igor said:

BTW. You can achieve the same network topology with ifupdown + hostapd and there such setup is known to work. Also with better performance.

I bought a USB wifi adapted with Chipset:Ralink RT5370. Seem, that all work very fine, but only one little problem.

Network interfaces eth0 and wlan0 are under a bridge br0. Bridge work, but NetworkManager automatically add other one connection/profile to eth0. I tried to delete it via nmcli and nmtui, but after reboot mentioned connection appear again.

I have one static ip-addres on br0 and one via dhcp on eth0.

I found partly solution to disable this connection via nmcli/mntui, then ip-addres on eth0 isn't active, but a connection/profile is in list as inactive.

Is there some possibility block automatically creating of connection/profiles in NetworkManager?

2 hours ago, madurani said:

Is there some possibility block automatically creating of connection/profiles in NetworkManager?

Check how to use "ignored interfaces" in NetworkManager manual.

Next issue I have on other Orange Pi Zero. I have there installed extended NAS module(https://www.aliexpress.com/item/Orange-Pi-Zero-NAS-Expansion-board-Interface-board-Development-board-beyond-Raspberry-Pi/32789632568.html?spm=a2g0s.9042311.0.0.27424c4dSqneog) which includes two additional usb ports and sata port.

Problem is, that one usb port looks broken. When I connect there usb-printer or usb-cmera, then this devices aren't visible via lsusb and connection to sata disk is lost.

Is there any possibility to test whether it is hardware issue or bad configuration of linux?

1 hour ago, madurani said:

Problem is, that one usb port looks broken. When I connect there usb-printer or usb-cmera, then this devices aren't visible via lsusb and connection to sata disk is lost.

Is there any possibility to test whether it is hardware issue or bad configuration of linux?

The second USB port is not an USB output port, it is an input to allow connecting this expansion port to other kind of boards.

Simply look at the schematic, you will see that this input port is feeding signals to SATA hub.

20 hours ago, martinayotte said:

The second USB port is not an USB output port, it is an input to allow connecting this expansion port to other kind of boards.

Simply look at the schematic, you will see that this input port is feeding signals to SATA hub.

For understanding: Second USB port, can be used only for connection between NAS board and some PC or orange server which doesn't have 13 pins port like Orange Pi Zero?

And devices such as usb-printer, usb-camera, usb-storage or usb-hub can be used only with first usb port?

Next issue: Cups and usb-printer

I had on same OrangePiZero configured usb printer (HP Laser P1566) on arbian(debian) via cups. Printer worked very well however, on OS I had many problems ,with network, wifi and etc.  and so I migrated OS to armbian(ubuntu).  All problems looked like they were fixed however printer works really weird.

When I print different tasks/jobs, then from Cups side are all marked as completed, but printer prints actully only first job and others are ignored by printer.  Printer prints again only  if I  turn it off/on or  after I unplug usb-cable reconnect it.

Here is example from syslog: Fist task was printed second no. Both task are in Cups queue mark as copleted.

May  8 13:27:12 persefona kernel: [ 1459.498953] usblp0: removed
May  8 13:27:13 persefona kernel: [ 1459.895166] usb 4-1.3: reset high-speed USB device number 4 using ehci-platform
May  8 13:27:20 persefona kernel: [ 1467.524718] usblp 4-1.1:1.0: usblp0: USB Bidirectional printer dev 9 if 0 alt 0 proto 2 vid 0x03F0 pid 0x092A

May  8 13:27:56 persefona kernel: [ 1503.574821] usblp0: removed
May  8 13:28:05 persefona kernel: [ 1511.712138] usblp 4-1.1:1.0: usblp0: USB Bidirectional printer dev 9 if 0 alt 0 proto 2 vid 0x03F0 pid 0x092A

Only one error is in syslog after plugin printer to usb port:

May  8 13:26:52 persefona systemd-udevd[2015]: Process '/bin/sh -c '/usr/bin/nohup /usr/bin/hp-config_usb_printer 004:009'' failed with exit code 127.

11 minutes ago, madurani said:

configured usb printer (HP Laser P1566) on arbian(debian) via cups

Look out for printing experts. Armbian support ends when USB ports works. And they do.

• Igor locked this topic
  • Tido unlocked this topic