Tinker Board S and MT7601U problem with access point

Mafer

I'm trying to create an access point on a Tinker Board S with a MT7601U wifi dongle, since the wifi that it incorporates I could not make it work. When I configure the AP, this message appears.

One of your wireless drivers are on a black list due to poor quality. AP mode might not be possible!

Is not supported in Armbian? is one of the hardware devices tested?

9 hours ago, Mafer said:

Is not supported in Armbian? is one of the hardware devices tested?

Yes, its tested and it works, but don't expect too much, especially if you use 4.4.y kernel. This MT7601U is one of if not the cheapest USB adapters around.

Thanks for your message. It is always your help. I have the kernel version 4.19.33 and I tried to operate this device mt7601U, an rtl8192e and another mt7610u TP-LINK Archer T1U that I have. Unsuccessfully. Which device can make the connection easier or would another be recommended? Thanks.

6 hours ago, Mafer said:

Which device can make the connection easier or would another be recommended? Thanks.

Recommended for AP operations: Realtek 8811AU, 8812AU, RT3572, RT5572.

mt7610u is yet another cheap key/driver which just got Linux support. But it's in very infant/alfa state. It works, but AP mode comes last to fix, if. We have no resources to fix any of broken drivers since each driver represents a serious operation which we can't possibly afford.

I would agree - the MediaTek/Ralink drivers are ok for client (STA) operations, but even there, they're a bit spooky. Not just for Armbian, but Linux in general - great adapters for Windows perhaps.

Realtek 11 b/g/n generally work, and I'm rather partial to the Atheros ath9K chipsets, as they're fairly open, and do a good job across all WiFi modes.