Tinkerboard As a linuxcnc controller.

berin

I'm only just getting started with this project. So far I have gotten a lot of help from some great people and looking to get further along with this project as time goes on. My main goal is to turn the tinkerboard into a linuxcnc control system with a drop in SDcard/EMMC image(s). The images will be preloaded with everything needed to setup a cnc machine for different control systems such as GPIO, ETHERNET, SPI depending on one's choice or needs for control.  The gpio will provide direct step/dir, end stops, router power control signals, etc.... the normal cnc machine control logic one would expect when using a parallel port. Ethernet and SPI will be options for anyone using drivers like the MESA controllers for example.

At this point I have the working and current FULL preempt RT images and kernel DEB packages for any one looking to build or install. I have posted the files HERE. I have a working image setup with linuxcnc already compiled, and 3d/opengl video drivers fully working. If anyone is interested or willing to host the multi gig file let me know.

CURRENTLY HAL for SPI, GPIO and ETHERNET are not built. These are areas I'm looking for help.  Also at this point I could really use a hand with TUNING the build or tuning options for compiling the kernel if any. I'm weak in regards to software, strong in the hardware as well the electronics side.  The last few issues I'm having are with the driver support for my LCD. it is not currently working at all. I have a raspberry pi 7" LCD with a native res. of 1024x600. I have to run it at 1024x768 which stretches the image a bit as well makes smaller print harder to read. The other issue though more of a personal one, I have an I2C RTC setup but i2c is not fetching the TIME/DATE but rather seeking network time. I do not know how to fix this and the few febal attempts I've made, I discovered that armbian has been rather locked down to use network time rather then seek multi sources for current time. I'm currently on the kernel 4.19 full preempt RT kernel. If anyone is interested in seeing photos of the project and the VERY custom  mold and shell I built for this project check this LINK I've gotten a lot of positive feed back on it so far.

6 hours ago, berin said:

. I have a raspberry pi 7" LCD with a native res.

I would specify "HDMI" or "DSI"

for the HAL topics, a quick browse of LinuxCNC showed a BeagleBone port, it should work as a template/example