Build NEWEST Linux Kernel 5.0.9 on Banana Pi M3

jiapei100

Hi, all:

I wonder if there is a manual to DIRECTLY build Linux Kernel (Say, current version 5.0.9) against any board, as far as uname -a is known ? For instance, current Armbian for Banana Pi M3 is of the following uname -a value:

sky@bananapim3:~/Downloads/sunxi$ uname -a
Linux bananapim3 4.19.25-sunxi #5.78 SMP Mon Apr 8 07:46:22 CEST 2019 armv7l armv7l armv7l GNU/Linux

Anyway, I'm trying to test it out...

Cheers

Pei

4 hours ago, jiapei100 said:

I wonder if there is a manual to DIRECTLY build Linux Kernel (Say, current version 5.0.9)

Mainline Linux kernel is from six months ago and one year behind Armbian kernel, also stable version v4.19.y where most of the stuff is regularly back ported. Compiling mainline kernel and expecting (better) functionality is overoptimistic/pointless, especially in case of Banana M3.

You can try new Armbian kernel, but I have no idea if it boots at all on your board, by using armbian-config tools -> system -> alternative kernels.

1 hour ago, Igor said:

Mainline Linux kernel is from six month and one year behind Armbian kernel, also stable version v4.19.y where most of the stuff is regularly back ported. Compiling mainline kernel and expecting (better) functionality is overoptimistic/pointless, especially in case of Banana M3.

You can try new Armbian kernel, but I have no idea if it boots at all on your board, by using armbian-config tools -> system -> alternative kernels.

Thank you Igor... I noticed sun8i-a83t-bananapi-m3 is supported by kernel 5.0.9 ?

sky@bananapim3:~/Downloads/kernel/linux-5.0.9/arch/arm/boot/dts$ ll sun8i-a83t*
-rw-rw-r-- 1 sky sky  6724 Apr 20 15:17 sun8i-a83t-allwinner-h8homlet-v2.dts
-rw-rw-r-- 1 sky sky  8944 Apr 20 15:17 sun8i-a83t-bananapi-m3.dts
-rw-rw-r-- 1 sky sky  9913 Apr 20 15:17 sun8i-a83t-cubietruck-plus.dts
-rw-rw-r-- 1 sky sky  9438 Apr 20 15:17 sun8i-a83t-tbs-a711.dts
-rw-rw-r-- 1 sky sky 26406 Apr 20 15:17 sun8i-a83t.dtsi

However, when I tried to convert from .dts to .dtb, I obtained the following ERROR message:

sky@bananapim3:~/Downloads/kernel/linux-5.0.9/arch/arm/boot/dts$ dtc -I dts -O dtb -f ./sun8i-a83t-bananapi-m3.dts -o ./sun8i-a83t-bananapi-m3.dtb
Error: ./sun8i-a83t-bananapi-m3.dts:46.1-9 syntax error
FATAL ERROR: Unable to parse input tree

It looks it's reporting an ERROR from the following lines:

45 /dts-v1/;
 46 #include "sun8i-a83t.dtsi"

Is /dts-v1/; buggy???  BTW, I'm NOT using cross compiling...

Sorry for my NAIVE question, is it possible to specify my DTS and build a particular .dtbs for a particular board (banana pi M3) ?

Thank you 

Pei

2 hours ago, Igor said:

Read what I wrote. Again.

It's weird that I do NOT have WIFI enabled for Banana Pi M3 now. I'm NOW connected to Banana Pi M3 with WIRED cable.

I EVEN tried the command nmtui-connect SSID on this page https://docs.armbian.com/User-Guide_Getting-Started/#how-to-connect-to-wireless .

but obtained a dialog with the following TEXT:

No such connection 'SSID'  

Any suggestions?

Thank you 

Pei

11 minutes ago, jiapei100 said:

Any suggestions?

I can assure you there are no quick fixes. I also gave you enough hints to save you months of your time but since this goes only in one direction, I will stop here. This board is not supported: https://docs.armbian.com/#what-is-supported

Just now, martinayotte said:

SSID should be replace by your router SSID, such as "MyDLinkRouter" or whatever you named it ...

It is possible that DT is mixed up and wireless doesn't work at all ...  and there are some other problems like broken thermal throttling.

Hi, Igor:

I noticed that you upgraded the kernel to 5.1.0 via armbian-config

However, after I tried to use this Other Kernel 5.1.0, NOT ONLY the Wifi, BUT ALSO the wired is gone...

That is to say: now, I cannot even ssh into Banana Pi M3... crying...

Did you ever successfully upgrade the kernel to 5.1.0 on M3?

Cheers

Pei

6 hours ago, jiapei100 said:

Did you ever successfully upgrade the kernel to 5.1.0 on M3?

Everything you need to know its written and it was told to you several times. Write access to this forum has been demoted for one month. Start reading!

I am having moderate success with https://github.com/wens/linux/ sunxi-next branch, which builds a working 5.3.0-rc2 kernel for the BPi M3:

root@BPiM3:~# uname -a
Linux BPiM3 5.3.0-rc2-31255-gf7c674075fd3 #4 SMP Tue Aug 13 14:59:11 AEST 2019 armv7l GNU/Linux

WiFi works (but slow < 1Mbps on my board, still just using the microusb), Wired works fine too.