Final Image for Nanopi M4 ?

perlian

When can I expect a final Armbian image for the Nanopi M4 ?

I'm eagerly awaiting it and many others will surely be too

The image of friendlyarm is simply an imposition
You have the feeling of being on the road with the handbrake on.

3 hours ago, perlian said:

When can I expect a final Armbian image for the Nanopi M4 ?

I'm eagerly awaiting it and many others will surely be too

We don't use term such as final image, but "supported" which meaning is described here: https://docs.armbian.com/#what-is-supported

5 hours ago, perlian said:

Hi. The Armbian images for the NanoPi M4 are well advanced. I heard bluetooth isn't working now. (bluetooth works, install with armbian-config) Otherwise everything should work well. 
The FriendlyARM images are also not that bad. There is an issue with hostapd. But if you don't need it, then you can just remove it.
Armbian is clocked at 2Ghz/1.5Ghz vs 1.8Ghz/1.4Ghz on the FriendlyElec images. So it is quite a bit faster. But that's at the cost of higher temperatures and a higher power consumption. You can of course clock it lower in Armbian if you want that.
If it would not be for the other RK3399 boards(RockPro64, RockPi4,..), then the NanoPi M4/NanoPC T4/NEO4 would probably have been in the supported list a long time ago. They are already in it on the build script.
If you have issue's, then please report them.

11 hours ago, NicoD said:

The FriendlyARM images are also not that bad. There is an issue with hostapd.

Hi

you say that the FriendlyArm Image is not so bad

But.......its a nightmare to install or update software with the FriendlyArm Image using apt

Sometimes it takes hours to upgrade the packages after a fresh install

With my Odroid XU4 and Armbian it is done in some minutes

Starting programs has always a delay for seconds before something happens

Actually I run FriendlyArm (Bionic) with an SD card

On EMMC module it dont start for unknown reasons 

I will try the new Armbian next days

59 minutes ago, perlian said:

On EMMC module it dont start for unknown reasons 

For eMMC you can use the eflasher image. You put that on an sd-card, and boot with the sd-card and eMMC connected. It will then install the image onto the eMMC.
It's a bit a walk around. This works a lot better with armbian.
It's not normal if that takes so long to upgrade. Is the network connection good? Do you use wifi or ethernet?
I think if you just remove hostapd everything should work with apt. Otherwise use aptitude to fix the problem. The use is the same as apt, but when it can't install or remove, it gives you different choices of what it can do. Sometimes you've got to choose no many times until the right sollution is found. Sometimes is quickly.
You can also get help on the friendlyElec forum on that. There should be a few people keepin an eye and ear open there for those issues.
I only use armbian, but tried FriendlyDesktop last week to test their OpenGL drivers. I didn't have problems I couldn't quickly resolve.

With Lubuntu armhf there is a problem with keyboard configuration. This is my fix for that.

Problem with keyboard-configuration
Before upgrade do : 
sudo locale-gen "en_GB.UTF-8"
sudo dpkg-reconfigure locales
sudo nano /etc/environment
  add          -> LC_ALL="en_GB.utf8"

Armbian is in my eyes as good as perfect on the M4. I don't know of anything important not working. Bluetooth does work, sudo armbian-config -> network devices ->install bluetooth
For the 3.5mm audio jack there's an easy fix.

Download this file (open terminal and type this)

wget https://forum.armbian.com/applications/core/interface/file/attachment.php?id=4093

Run the following command

alsactl --file ./asound.state.draft.201902018 restore

With that I don't know anything else not working. Greetings.

20 hours ago, perlian said:

its a nightmare to install or update software with the FriendlyArm Image using apt

Sometimes it takes hours to upgrade the packages after a fresh install 

two possibilities.. Their debian/ubuntu sources are a bit outdated (means a lot of packages have to be updated) and/or your SD card is crappy slow in small block random IO which normally ends then in really annoying apt upgrade sessions..

lol.........no the SD Card is the newest and fastest Sandisk with 32 GB and it works perfect in my Odroid XU4

The reason was the old Friendlyelec Bionic Image that i have used

Today i download the last one and it works much better

Apt operations work fine and fast now

I also have used the hint from NicoD to make  the EMMC Card working ...thank for that

Is the workaround over an SD Card also needed for Armbian ?

Tomorrow i try the newest Armbian Image and im sure it will work like a charm 

Thanks to all the good guys here and specially Igor and his team for the greaat Job in the past and hopefully in the future

I first heard about him when i got my new Cubietruck and its still supported until now !!!!!

59 minutes ago, perlian said:

Is the workaround over an SD Card also needed for Armbian ? 

With Armbian you can install from sd to emmc with : sudo armbian-config
Then something like copy to eMMC or hard disk.
It's very easy.
Good luck with it.

On 5/6/2019 at 2:35 AM, NicoD said:

For eMMC you can use the eflasher image. You put that on an sd-card, and boot with the sd-card and eMMC connected. It will then install the image onto the eMMC.
It's a bit a walk around. This works a lot better with armbian.
It's not normal if that takes so long to upgrade. Is the network connection good? Do you use wifi or ethernet?
I think if you just remove hostapd everything should work with apt. Otherwise use aptitude to fix the problem. The use is the same as apt, but when it can't install or remove, it gives you different choices of what it can do. Sometimes you've got to choose no many times until the right sollution is found. Sometimes is quickly.
You can also get help on the friendlyElec forum on that. There should be a few people keepin an eye and ear open there for those issues.
I only use armbian, but tried FriendlyDesktop last week to test their OpenGL drivers. I didn't have problems I couldn't quickly resolve.

With Lubuntu armhf there is a problem with keyboard configuration. This is my fix for that.

Problem with keyboard-configuration
Before upgrade do : 
sudo locale-gen "en_GB.UTF-8"
sudo dpkg-reconfigure locales
sudo nano /etc/environment
  add          -> LC_ALL="en_GB.utf8"

Armbian is in my eyes as good as perfect on the M4. I don't know of anything important not working. Bluetooth does work, sudo armbian-config -> network devices ->install bluetooth
For the 3.5mm audio jack there's an easy fix.

Download this file (open terminal and type this)

wget https://forum.armbian.com/applications/core/interface/file/attachment.php?id=4093

Run the following command

alsactl --file ./asound.state.draft.201902018 restore

With that I don't know anything else not working. Greetings.

When i try the command i always get this  message

Found hardware: "realtek_rt5651-" "" "" "" ""
Hardware is initialized using a generic method
alsactl: set_control:1325: failed to obtain info for control #19 (No such file or directory)
No state is present for card rockchiphdmi
Found hardware: "rockchip_hdmi" "" "" "" ""
Hardware is initialized using a generic method
No state is present for card rockchiphdmi

I want to use the 3,5 mm jack for Audio not the HDMI

3 hours ago, perlian said:

Did you try if 3.5mm works after that? It's just resetting the devices.
Open pulseaudio and go to configuration and disable the hdmi-sound. (hdmi only has outputs)
Then see if your sound works.

19 hours ago, perlian said:

lol.........no the SD Card is the newest and fastest Sandisk with 32 GB and it works perfect in my Odroid XU4

21 hours ago, chwe said:

Their debian/ubuntu sources are a bit outdated (means a lot of packages have to be updated) and/or your SD card is crappy slow in small block random IO

"newest and fastest" quite often ends here: :lol:

https://forum.armbian.com/forum/31-sd-card-and-psu-issues/

that's why I don't care about such information without actually prove that the used card is really fast (forum search will guide you how you can test it)... Especially when it's about Images we (as armbian team) are not 'in charge'.

5 hours ago, perlian said:

about which Image do we talk here? switched to Armbian or still on FriendlyElec's image?

a short reminder (https://forum.armbian.com/guidelines):

A support question must include the following:

Board you use
    Issue you face
    Description of your set-up (e.g. powering, connected hardware, used SD-Card)
    'sudo armbianmonitor -u' - this gives us some needed logs which makes debugging a way easier!

besides being in 'Development' not 'Technical Support':

Development

A section for more experienced users. For example for SoCs where Armbian support is currently not mature enough for full support, questions related to the build framework and 'Board Bring Up' for new boards we might consider supporting in the future. We can't provide the same level of support for WIP (work in process) SoCs cause kernels for those boards are simply not ready yet. Board Bring Up is mostly for experienced users which want to contribute in support for new boards/SoCs, a *please support random board* without any rational and no interest in contribution for such a support will simply be ignored. If you just want to point us to a new interesting board our water-cooler (General chit chat) is the right place for it. 

btw. @lanefu can you adjust the text there? 'Technical support' isn't anymore.. so the text need some small adjustments.. :):thumbup:

15 hours ago, chwe said:

"newest and fastest" quite often ends here: :lol:

https://forum.armbian.com/forum/31-sd-card-and-psu-issues/

that's why I don't care about such information without actually prove that the used card is really fast (forum search will guide you how you can test it)... Especially when it's about Images we (as armbian team) are not 'in charge'.

about which Image do we talk here? switched to Armbian or still on FriendlyElec's image?

a short reminder (https://forum.armbian.com/guidelines):

A support question must include the following:

Board you use
    Issue you face
    Description of your set-up (e.g. powering, connected hardware, used SD-Card)
    'sudo armbianmonitor -u' - this gives us some needed logs which makes debugging a way easier!

besides being in 'Development' not 'Technical Support':

Development

A section for more experienced users. For example for SoCs where Armbian support is currently not mature enough for full support, questions related to the build framework and 'Board Bring Up' for new boards we might consider supporting in the future. We can't provide the same level of support for WIP (work in process) SoCs cause kernels for those boards are simply not ready yet. Board Bring Up is mostly for experienced users which want to contribute in support for new boards/SoCs, a *please support random board* without any rational and no interest in contribution for such a support will simply be ignored. If you just want to point us to a new interesting board our water-cooler (General chit chat) is the right place for it. 

btw. @lanefu can you adjust the text there? 'Technical support' isn't anymore.. so the text need some small adjustments.. :):thumbup:

I'm talking about the Armbian image, of course.

But the script seems to have worked despite the error message.
Audio is now output as intended on the 3.5 mm jack.

So far everything works well momentary

Currently tested are the Friendlyelec Bionic Image on EMMC and the Armbian Image on SD card.

The Friendlyelec works smoothly on the EMMC card.
Except for the problem that you have to switch manually between HDMI and 3.5mm jack.:(

On 5/5/2019 at 5:31 AM, NicoD said:

There is an issue with hostapd. But if you don't need it, then you can just remove it.

Do you have more information on this? I've been trying to setup my nanopi neo4 as an access point without success, and I believe the hardware is very similar, so it's likely  a similar problem.

FWIW, I got farther with the FriendlyArm distribution, but it still has issues that I haven't resolved yet.

I would much rather use Armbian anyways. It's much more polished, and the support is top notch!