Pine64 A64 Networking Stopped Working

jrullan

I have a Pine64 A64+ (2GB RAM version) with Armbian 5.75 installed. 

After creating the SD card image networking works perfectly, but then after a few days it just stop connecting to the Wi-Fi network. 

Troubleshooting Wi-Fi:

I can see the APs in the GUI and also using the armbian-config tool.  When using armbian-config: Network -> Select default interface = wlan0 -> WiFi -> I select my home Wifi and press Return key :

it says `Connecting...` then after about 30 seconds:

`Could not activate connection: Activation failed: The Wi-Fi network could not be found`

Troubleshooting Wired connection:

I connect my board directly to my router. Using armbian-config (again) I select eth0 and try to activate it and I get the following error:

`Could not activate connection: Activation failed: IP configuration could not be reserved (no available address, timeout, etc.)`

How I guess it is a corrupted configuration:

If I take the sdcard out and burn the same image again onto it everything works again.  I've done this three times so far and it works every time, so I guess it might be something that gets corrupted on a power failure (power goes every now and then). I have tried to run dpkg-reconfigure network-manager thinking it might fix it but haven't been successful either. 

What can I do to fix this?

20190505_105356.jpg

20190505_105551.jpg

20190505_105800.jpg

• Igor unlocked this topic

@Igor, just curious, did you find anything out of the ordinary in the armbianmonitor log? I tried to make sense of it and I did notice that it includes the same information from different dates (every boot?).  Last date in the log looks kind of different though. For example look at the lines 13128 vs 13942.  In any case,  I don't think I have sufficient knowledge to troubleshoot this myself, any help will be greatly appreciated.

@Igor, should this post be moved to another forum?  I get the impression not many technical guys/gals are able to see it or maybe there are not enough people with the same problem or interested in solving this issue.

The thing is I had to make a determination on which image to use with this board and I chose Armbian because previous versions had worked perfectly.  So I set it up with some programs to teach kids programming and planned to use it on ten stations I prepared (I already had the ten boards). But I haven't been able to finish them up because of this networking problem.  

2 hours ago, jrullan said:

Frankly im a bit disappointed with the support I've received so far. 

For support that you pay absolutely nothing for???

BTW. I have some work around the house. This bloody highly educated handy man wants staggering 50 EUR/h to fix things around. Would you be so kind to come (on your costs) and do it for free that I would not need to pay for? Please!

21 minutes ago, Igor said:

BTW. I have some work around the house. This bloody highly educated handy man wants staggering 50 EUR/h to fix things around. Would you be so kind to come (on your costs) and do it for free that I would not need to pay for? Please!

@Igor, First let me apologize if my comment gave you the wrong impression.  I don't know you and I even can't assume you are the only technical support person that tries to help voluntarily on a project like this.  

I wrote that comment because it is what it is.  My suggestion was that maybe if the post were to be shown in another category other people could contribute with their knowledge and experience.  

I am actually quite grateful with your suggestion and out of respect for your time and knowledge I promptly did what you told me and reported back my results.  Then there were no more responses from you or anyone else.  After 8 days of expecting to hear back from you or anyone else I brought a new suggestion and explain my frustration of not having any responses.  I was certainly hesitant to share my frustration and risk being misunderstood (as I obviously have), but this is why most people come to the forums,  to reach out to others in moments of frustration. 

I certainly didn't mean to disrespect you in any way,  so if you think I have,  then I apologize again.   

That being said,  going back to the legitimate topic of this post,  I did what you suggested and it still gives the same error.  I also wondered what in the log if any you noticed out of the ordinary.  And I would also like to know what else should I be looking for or trying in order to identify the cause of this behavior and fix it,  without having to burn the image again. 

2 minutes ago, jrullan said:

First let me apologize if my comment gave you the wrong impression.  I don't know you and I even can't assume you are the only technical support person that tries to help voluntarily on a project like this.  

There are very little people that have time and actually know something while on the other side there are way too much people that contribute nothing for research, nothing for development, nothing for dealing with them but give stress and demand professional service. It's OK if you ask but it is very wrong when you start demanding support or bump topics to get more attention ... things and our relationship instantly change for 360. Most of people that contribute to the project know about the problems there are, but we don't have resources to patch them/everything. Not even close.

5 minutes ago, jrullan said:

After 8 days of expecting to hear back from you

Waiting years(!) for resolution is something totally normal in this world. I know its hard to understand this, but this is the truth. People that are willing to pay a pile of cash that some specific problem is getting fixed have to wait months, years. Pro bono time is far more limited. There are very little people from those that actually know something, have free time and are willing to/needing to make such trades.

Further readings:

https://forum.armbian.com/topic/9983-getting-rtl8723bu-5g-wifi-working/?do=findComment&comment=79000
https://forum.armbian.com/topic/10180-ubuntu-bionic-image-is-missing-chromedriver-package/
https://forum.armbian.com/topic/10260-armbian-stretch-desktop-and-browsers-for-multimedia-content/
https://forum.armbian.com/topic/10195-orangepizero-ap-wifi-authentication-issue/?do=findComment&comment=77766

We would like to hire a few people to relieve over-stressed volunteers (to be able to help you!), but since this means "your" donations will need to raise for about 20 times this is very unlikely to happen.

38 minutes ago, Igor said:

It's OK if you ask but it is very wrong when you start demanding support or bump topics to get more attention ... things and our relationship instantly change for 360. 

Absolutely fair point.  I apologize for my lack of judgement.  I'll edit my post to remove the offensive line.  

For the technical part of this post,  is there any other recommendation you think is worth trying?  If not,  don't worry I'll keep searching around. 

Just now, jrullan said:

I'll edit my post to remove the offensive line.  

No need. 

1 minute ago, jrullan said:

For the technical part of this post,  is there any other recommendation you think is worth trying?

By not using network manager but ifconfig. For anything more than this its a long shot, digging into the kernel ...

On 5/5/2019 at 5:07 PM, jrullan said:

but then after a few days it just stop connecting to the Wi-Fi network.

can you be a more specific:

1. can it be broken down to just WiFi or eth - (cable is more reliable == preferred) ?
  2. eth - does your router DHCP?