Switching DTB how?

mutluit

Hi,

I have an Armbian image that uses the DTB for the Banana Pi R1 aka Lamobo R1 device.

That same image boots fine also on a Banana Pi M1 device, but still needs the DTB be switched to the M1 device.

On the online help page https://docs.armbian.com/known_issues/cubox/ it is written that one can do such a DTB-switching

with the armbian-config tool: "use armbian-config to select proper DTB for your board (armbian-config -> system -> DTB)"

BUT: there is no "system" entry in my version of armbian-config:

Armbian 5.31 stable Debian 8.11 configuration utility, http://www.armbian.com

And the login message says:

Welcome to ARMBIAN 5.31 stable Debian GNU/Linux 8 (jessie) 4.9.7-sunxi

How can I switch the DTB to Banana Pi M1, and which of the following is the correct DTB for the classic M1 ? :

-rw-r--r-- 1 root root 56302 Feb  2  2017 sun7i-a20-bananapi.dtb
-rw-r--r-- 1 root root 54841 Feb  2  2017 sun7i-a20-bananapi-m1-plus.dtb
-rw-r--r-- 1 root root 55061 Feb  2  2017 sun7i-a20-bananapro.dtb

Thx

Edited by mutluit

8 hours ago, mutluit said:

use armbian-config to select proper DTB

Is your device one of those https://www.armbian.com/download/?tx_maker=solidrun ?

8 hours ago, mutluit said:

Banana Pi R1

We don't support this board since we ran out of the interest to deal with this super rubbish hardware. Use search above if you want to understand why.

If you want to use different DT, add 

fdtfile=yourdt

to the /boot/armbianEnv.txt

4 hours ago, Igor said:

> Is your device one of those https://www.armbian.com/download/?tx_maker=solidrun ?

No, it's not.

I unfortunately don't understand the meaning of this question? As I said my two boards are BPI-M1 and BPI-R1.

I'm not a much active user here, so maybe I missed something in the meantime; would appreciate if you could clarify pls.

> If you want to use different DT, add 

>    fdtfile=yourdt

> to the /boot/armbianEnv.txt

Ah OK, thank you very much!

Addendum:

Ok, for my BPI-M1 I now put this line into the /boot/armbianEnv.txt file and did a reboot:

fdtfile=sun7i-a20-bananapi.dtb

Unfortunately the logo doesn't change, so I don't know whether it's using the new DTB or still the previous default DTB.

Is there a way to find out which DTB is currently loaded?

Thx

Edited by mutluit
addendum

32 minutes ago, mutluit said:

I unfortunately don't understand the meaning of this question? As I said my two boards are BPI-M1 and BPI-R1.

I'm not a much active user here, so maybe I missed something in the meantime; would appreciate if you could clarify pls.

You were referring to the part of the manual which was describing Cubox family ... manual is not in perfect condition, so its partially our fault.

34 minutes ago, mutluit said:

Unfortunately the logo doesn't change

The logo will not change, but low level board settings will.

Just remember that R1 is not supported with Armbian. You can find many tips by using search, but problems you will need to solve on your own.

5 hours ago, Igor said:

Igor, why can't you please just simply answer the most relevant part of the question: is it possible to know which DTB is loaded, and if yes then how?

I know that you both tkaiser and you seem to hate Banana Pi products, as in all and every postings one can read it from you both for many years now.

But I think you both are mislead and simply wrong as the Banana Pi's are just fine like the many other boards.

Edited by mutluit

18 minutes ago, Igor said:

Use search. I am sure it has been mentioned.

Ah, just forget that search crap and your policy of not wanting to help.

I'm throwing out Armbian and building my own kernel.

Thx, for all the fish!

34 minutes ago, mutluit said:

is it possible to know which DTB is loaded, and if yes then how?

You can see during u-boot phase, the filesize when the DTB is been loaded, this filesize should match the size of one of the files seen in /boot/dtb/.

37 minutes ago, mutluit said:

of not wanting to help.

I help a lot, but can help everyone whenever they want. Your request is also far above contract you have.

1 hour ago, mutluit said:

I know that you both tkaiser and you seem to hate Banana Pi products

Perhaps it looks like like a irrational decision, but its not -> crappy and wrong(!) manuals, low quality product and incompetent people have great potential for huge waste of time if you go that path. I have to remind you that dealing with (this shitty) hardware and with you is 99% sponsored from our private pocket. If you have problem me not helping you, read as "I refuse or don't have to pay for dealing with you".

42 minutes ago, mutluit said:

I'm throwing out Armbian and building my own kernel.

:thumbup: :D Here, people will gladly help you. Ups, they want money for wasting their time. That's really strange, right?

On 5/8/2019 at 2:08 PM, mutluit said:

Is there a way to find out which DTB is currently loaded?

Check 'cat /proc/device-tree/model' or other nodes under /proc/device-tree. This is the loaded device tree seen by kernel.