SPI not working after update and upgrade

Hello, 

I am using nanoPi Neo Core with mini shield nanoPi NEO CORE/CORE2. 

The OS that i am using is Armbian stretch downloaded from this link : https://www.armbian.com/nanopi-neo/

The armbian image that I am using is : Armbian_5.65_Nanopineo_Debian_stretch_next_4.14.78

If I try to enable SPI without doing update and upgrade, it works.

If I do update and upgrade and then try to activate SPI, it is not working. I dont find the spi device in /dev. 

Any idea what could be the problem?

P.S: Before last week, I didn't have this problem. So I think it is related to a recent update done on this image. 

Thanks in advance.

Regards,

On 5/9/2019 at 12:30 PM, Antony Abi Rached said:

Any idea what could be the problem?

Your problem description is too vague and without logs problem does not exists. Try clean image from download section and remember that this is amateur bases support and topic bumping - getting unjustified attention - is serious forum offence.

Thank you @Igor for your reply.

I would like to really thank you guys for the effort that you are doing with armbian.

My intention is not to offend you on this forum. All what I tried to do is to mention the problem that I had and that way other users can see this issue and share their point of view. 

It's been a year already that I am using armbian and I am really enjoying it. A big respect for the work that you are doing.

For the issue that I mentioned, I tried the last image of neo core of armbian website. The name of the image is Armbian_5.83_Nanopineo_Debian_stretch_next_4.19.38.

If I try to activate the spi using armbian-config or by changing manually /boot/armbianEnv.txt file, the spi is not working. I cant find a file related to spi in /dev. 

Here is /boot/armbianEnv.txt file output :

verbosity=1
logo=disabled
console=serial
disp_mode=1920x1080p60
overlay_prefix=sun8i-h3
overlays=spi-add-cs1 spi-jedec-nor spi-spidev uart1 uart2 usbhost1 usbhost2
rootdev=UUID=7bd3acd9-0796-4ea2-bcc2-89cd47ce6426
rootfstype=ext4
param_spidev_spi_bus=1
usbstoragequirks=0x2537:0x1066:u,0x2537:0x1068:u

Thank you in advance for the help.

Regards,

Antony

I tried to use only spi-spidev but I got the same result.

here is the output of dmesg | grep spi

[    2.488500] sun8i-h3-pinctrl 1c20800.pinctrl: pin PA15 already requested by 1c28c00.serial; cannot claim for 1c69000.spi
[    2.488518] sun8i-h3-pinctrl 1c20800.pinctrl: pin-15 (1c69000.spi) status -22
[    2.488545] sun6i-spi 1c69000.spi: Error applying setting, reverse things back
[    2.488579] sun6i-spi: probe of 1c69000.spi failed with error -22

Thank you for the help.

Regards,

Antony

22 minutes ago, Antony Abi Rached said:

[    2.488500] sun8i-h3-pinctrl 1c20800.pinctrl: pin PA15 already requested by 1c28c00.serial; cannot claim for 1c69000.spi

Oh ! This means you should not load the "uart3" since it is using the same pins as SPI ...

4 minutes ago, Antony Abi Rached said:

Do you think that uart3 is enabled somewhere else?

Looking at the sources, it seems to be enabled in the Main DT...

So, you will need to decompile it, edit to change the uart3 node status from "okay" to "disabled", then recompile it.

Since NanoPi-Neo is a H3, use the DT compiler from http://ftp.debian.org/debian/pool/main/d/device-tree-compiler/device-tree-compiler_1.4.7-3_armhf.deb

5 minutes ago, Antony Abi Rached said:

Okay I will try that and get back to you.

I've done a commit in Armbian patches so that in future nightly builds the UART3 will be disabled by default and people wishing to use UART3 will need to load "uart3" overlay...

https://github.com/armbian/build/commit/eb61dc0fe4db222df8ebac4ac1f8086ac3e67f3a