5.1.0-sunxi64 kernel on Pine64 breaks ethernet (Unsupported interface mode: rgmii-txid)

tomtor

On 5/9/2019 at 2:36 PM, tomtor said:

but 5.1.0 breaks eth

It is expected that something will fail since 5.1.y is under development and such kernels are not receiving expensive end-user support. If you want to use it (now), you have to fix the problem on your own. Check DT from 4.19.y - probably the problem is the same ...

On 5/9/2019 at 8:36 AM, tomtor said:

but 5.1.0 breaks eth:

5.1.0 works fine on my Pine64 ...

But, according to your log, it seems to work there too, why are you saying that it is broken ?

[   19.938228] dwmac-sun8i 1c30000.ethernet eth0: Link is Up - 1Gbps/Full - flow control rx/tx
[   19.938279] IPv6: ADDRCONF(NETDEV_CHANGE): eth0: link becomes ready

@martinayotte - I was researching this one since I experienced the same when updating from 5.0.y to 5.1.y.

It looks like you had found similar and posted a query/comment to the upstream repo at https://github.com/megous/linux/commit/c797ad894874de33b2be4beeb1f5a1e6339a888d#comments

I had found the same as you - the drivers/net/ethernet/stmicro/stmmac/dwmac-sun8i.c driver was missing a change made specifically in megous' branch for 5.0 but not carried to 5.1.

Did you intend to include this as a local patch or should I submit a pull request for a new patch to do this in the armbian tree?

It looks like 0003-net-stmmac-dwmac-sun8i-support-RGMII-modes-with-PHY-.patch from patch/kernel/sunxi-next should do it. . .

12 hours ago, windysea said:

Did you intend to include this as a local patch or should I submit a pull request for a new patch to do this in the armbian tree?

Ah ! Thanks to make me pay more attention to that : I had this patch restored sitting on my desktop, but never committed ... I've just committed it now ...

Thanks!

I removed the patch from my local 'userpatches' and built a new -dev kernel using the default kernel config (no changes) and no local patches or changes.   The kernel booted with expected network connectivity and all looks good.

I'll verify tomorrow with the nightly builds as well.