scanning bus 1 for devices... 1 USB Device(s) found
scanning bus 2 for devices... 1 USB Device(s) found
scanning bus 3 for devices... 1 USB Device(s) found
scanning bus 4 for devices... 1 USB Device(s) found
scanning bus 5 for devices... 1 USB Device(s) found
scanning bus 6 for devices... 1 USB Device(s) found
scanning bus 7 for devices... 1 USB Device(s) found
       scanning usb for storage devices... 0 Storage Device(s) found

Is taking whole 7 seconds - one for each device scan. If I have my OS installed on eMMC and I don't even need the possibility of booting the OS from any flash drives I don't need this functionality, right? If so, how could I remove/disable it so my board starts faster? It's Orange Pi PC Plus v1.1

I never tried so I can't produce you direct instructions from my head but it should be possible by rebuilding u-boot with disabled support for USB. U-boot also have a menu driven config, which makes shaping this configuration in more human friendly way. Similar to the kernel menuconfig ...

How do I make compile.sh open u-boot menu config? It only asks if I want to open kernel menu config. If I manually go to cache/sources/u-boot/v2019.04 and exec make menuconfig there, then set what I need to set and save the settings, they are being overridden anyway.

13 hours ago, jevgienij said:

they are being overridden anyway.

Right ! It is normal ...

What you need to do is to go into cache/sources/u-boot/v2019.04/, edit the configs/orangepi_pc_plus_defconfig file to remove CONFIG_USB_EHCI_HCD and CONFIG_USB_OHCI_HCD , then create a patch and place it in armbian patch folder.

git diff configs/orangepi_pc_plus_defconfig > ~/git-work/igorpecovnik-armbian/build/userpatches/u-boot/u-boot-sunxi/my-patch-turnoff-usb.patch

On 5/12/2019 at 5:15 PM, jevgienij said:

Thanks. I managed it with a chattr +i .config workaround but I still wonder what is the proper way of opening u-boot menu config...

Hello there, I am new to Linux, I have a problem with the boot time. Can you explain clearly how you did it.

From start to finish, here's how I did it.

Go to the following link, download build root, unzip it and 'cd' into the directory:
https://git.busybox.net/buildroot/

Then issue the following commands that are in italics and follow the bullet point directions.

make friendlyarm_nanopi_neo_defconfig

- Where friendlyarm_nanopi_neo_defconfig is the name of your board's def config located in the /buildroot/config/ folder

make menuconfig

- A UI will pop up and you can add/remove packages or libraries from here. ie: Python, nano, libgpiod, etc... (Use "/" key to search)

make uboot-menuconfig

- This is the direct answer to OP's question

- From this prompt, scroll all the way to the bottom

- Device drivers --> USB Support --> Uncheck all boxes

- There's also another option to reduce boot time. Go all the way back to the first page of uboot-menuconfig

- Change delay in seconds before automatically booting to 0

make

This will output /output/images/sdcard.img. use Etcher or w/e to write to sd card like usual. Make command took ~1hr to compile the first time so...

The link below is a NanoPi Neo image, with no password. It boots in 4 seconds and has Python, libgpiod and nano installed and nothing else. No USB or Ethernet.

https://fastupload.io/2vykAzhretXuft1/file

Screenshot from 2023-01-26 20-22-37.png

Edited by StuxNet
added sdcard.img output folder info