Remote Desktop Fun with Armbian

Is OPI ONE a toy or a toy ? Yes and yes and a fun one too ! The following experiment shows the OPI ONE in use as a Virtual Desktop Server AND Virtual Desktop Client.

Setup as Virtual Desktop Server ( remotely access headless OPI ONE desktop )

OPI ONE  : install xrdp and tightvncserver

<clients>  : install and configure remote desktop  ( rdesktop on linux, aRDP on android - not yet tested on OS-X or WIN )

Setup as Virtual Desktop Client ( OPI ONE securely accesses a remote linux desktop )

OPI ONE  : install x2goclient

<server>  : install x2goserver on linux server ( physical or virtual ) of choice

This document explains the experiment ( :( you have to click/enlarge pictures in your browser .. sorry )

post-898-0-88867900-1461320938_thumb.png

And here is a screenshot of the actual session :

Red : Linux server desktop connecting to OPI ONE via rdesktop / xrdp

Orange : OPI ONE desktop connecting to UK virtual server via x2goclient/x2goserver

Purple : virtual server (UK) desktop running libreoffice

White : actual document being edited ( incl. drawings ! ) in window

( Headline : Italian guy in Switzerland abuses OPI ONE to edit nerd stuff in the UK )

post-898-0-43502100-1461320061_thumb.jpg

Remote desktop access from smartphone ( cheap Wiko Lenny 2 ) for touch-fumbling nano-fingers

post-898-0-31168300-1461320056_thumb.jpg

Remote desktop access from tablet ( Galaxy Note 8.0  ) using pen

post-898-0-36923500-1461320059_thumb.jpg

There are numerous use cases covered with the simple techniques employed.Thanks to the Armbian team and the forum buddies for their excellent job in making OPI ONE usable.

Have fun !

@dony71

What exactly are you trying to do ? I tested mpv player on a debian jessie linux host running x2goserver by connecting to the dektop with x2goclient running on an OPI ONE. I could sort of watch a video running at the remote host, but of course not at the necessary framerates. 

Hi guys,

Thanks for tutorial, i discover rdesktop / xrdp...

But i would try to make thing in the reverse way : Put x2goserver on OPPC and view from remote (linux or windows).

It's finally easy with all needed .deb files and some helper from web.

apt-get install libc6 lsof bc openssh-server openssh-client libconfig-simple-perl pwgen libdbd-pg-perl libdbd-sqlite3-perl libfile-basedir-perl libcapture-tiny-perl adduser xauth psmisc net-tools sshfs x11-apps x11-session-utils x11-utils x11-xfs-utils x11-xkb-utils x11-xserver-utils fontconfig xinit xfonts-base x11-common

wget http://ftp.igh.cnrs.fr/pub/os/linux/raspbian/raspbian/pool/main/libj/libjpeg8/libjpeg8_8d-1+deb7u1_armhf.deb

sudo dpkg [--force-conflicts --force-depends] -i libjpeg8_8d-1+deb7u1_armhf.deb

git clone https://github.com/kapolos/armhf-x2go.git
cd armhf-x2go-master/
sudo dpkg [--force-depends] -i *.deb

sudo apt-get -f install 

WILL INSTALL ===> cups cups-client cups-common cups-core-drivers cups-daemon cups-filters cups-filters-core-drivers
  cups-ppdc cups-server-common desktop-file-utils ghostscript gsfonts libcupscgi1 libcupsmime1
  libcupsppdc1 libfile-which-perl libfontembed1 libqpdf13 poppler-utils ssl-cert

sudo apt-get install x2goclient on the remote machine. run x2goclient and type (server ip address) and your username and pwd as your remote ssh acces. 
Enjoy! 

I m happy to find my x2go app.
Also a real firefox (firefox_45.0.2+build1-0ubuntu0.12.04.1_armhf.deb) (Webgl support with mesa compiled = glmark2 give 5 poor points but it's work lol :)

@boobypi

You're welcome. X2goserver on OPI is definitely on my wishlist and your information is very much appreciated. For pure linux environments I prefer x2goserver/x2goclient over xrdp/rdesktop, except for android clients which lack x2goclient capabilities.

I'll try your recipe to get a working x2goserver on arm and report back.

Just set up a working x2goserver installation as per your instructions. Thanks, you are my hero !

Screenshot of x2goclient running in (virtual) windows7 connected to x2goserver running on OPIONE.

post-898-0-92220800-1461572007_thumb.jpg

Have a nice day.

@dony71

What exactly are you trying to do ? I tested mpv player on a debian jessie linux host running x2goserver by connecting to the dektop with x2goclient running on an OPI ONE. I could sort of watch a video running at the remote host, but of course not at the necessary framerates. 

in my case, I cannot see any video at all

mpv shows blank but there is sound

any hints which module i'm missing to install?

i'm using armbian jessie 5.0.5

@dony71

x2go is simply remoting graphics. In a test setup, I connected to OPI ONE with x2go. I then installed mpv on an OPI ONE, connected a cheap webcam to it and just ran mpv tv://  in a terminal window. Slow, but no problem. Here's a screenshot of the experiment. OPI ONE is run on battery and the webcam pointed at the x2goclient screen.

post-898-0-43502500-1461755221_thumb.jpg

Your problem most likely is setup/options of mpv player, codecs used etc.... Sorry, cannot help you with that. The topic here is remote desktop. Good luck.

Update for Armbian_5.10 :

Instructions for remote desktop servers ( xrdp, x2goserver ) and clients ( rdesktop,x2goclient ) are valid and successfully tested on Armbian_5.10.

Did you try to play mpv video remotely using x2goclient?

I have mpv blank video display from remote side

Any idea what's I'm missing?

post-1092-0-19866700-1463683135_thumb.jpg

Did you try to play mpv video remotely using x2goclient?

See earlier reply to your post. Remote desktop solutions are not geared at playing videos remotely. The reason you can comfortably view videos locally is GPU acceleration. Available bandwidth and necessary encoding/decoding for remote viewing make it very unlikely to arrive at at satisfactory solution. Stream your data and view it directly. Your sources of information would be mpv-forums.

Good luck.

See earlier reply to your post. Remote desktop solutions are not geared at playing videos remotely. The reason you can comfortably view videos locally is GPU acceleration. Available bandwidth and necessary encoding/decoding for remote viewing make it very unlikely to arrive at at satisfactory solution. Stream your data and view it directly. Your sources of information would be mpv-forums.

Good luck.

seems no way to do -vo vdpau remotely, but -vo x11 has video, but off course slow since not hw accel

seems no way to do -vo vdpau remotely, but -vo x11 has video, but off course slow since not hw accel

I must disappoint you, but video output set to vdpau in remote desktop will probably never work. The main reason here is tha VDPAU implementation basically bypasses every graphic stack (even the framebuffer) to gain speed and offload processor. For that reason your remote server is not aware that anything should be there.

If you want details, just ask :)

Update on Tested Working OPI Remote Desktops :

Fast reliable ssh-protected remote desktops ( LXDE-based for best performance )

• OPI x2goserver - x2goclient - LINUX
  • OPI x2goserver - x2goclient - WinXP, Win7 , Win10
  • OPI x2goserver - x2goclient - OSX (+Xquartz)

Traditional workaround Windows-style ( safer and faster if tunneled via x2goserver-proxy )

• OPI xrdp - rdesktop - LINUX
  • OPI xrdp - rdp - WXP / W7 / W10
  • OPI xrdp - MS rdp - OSX
  • OPI xrdp - aFreeRDP - Android 4.1 / 5.1

OPI as Remote Desktop Client ( Universal Thin Client )

• LINUX x2goserver - x2goclient - OPI
  • WXP,W7,W10 terminal server - rdesktop - OPI
  • OSX remote - rdesktop - OPI
  • Virtualbox remote - rdesktop - OPI

VNC has not been separately tested, use cases are all covered by x2go or rdp

Conclusion :

OPI ONE/LITE both show excellent performance when used as terminal servers or remote desktop clients. X2go as a ssh-based terminal service uses the processing power of H3 to dwarf any Windows based RDP setup. X2go on OPI as a proxy for Windows rdp even enables secure and reasonably faster terminal services for Windows.

Even the bitty-gritty embedded masters of bitbanging might profit from a multi-desktop grand view of their tiny victims shown on BIG screens and thus enjoy the best of both worlds. Armbian has proven to be a reliable useful platform to turn OPI bricks into useful gadgets.

Enjoy !

Hey, I am very noob to the whole linux experience. How do you install a remote desktop server to my OrangePi PC+ using Armbian.

Also, is there a simple website for ppl like me to learn how to work with Armbian. I will say I have used Ubuntu and can get around a lot better because of the simplified GUI that makes the experience more like MS Windows.

Edit: Nevermind to the first Q, I found it. But could someone give me some info for the second Q?

Thanks

There is a desktop version of armbian, but you may will have trouble with wicd, a GUI program that is supposed to

help set up the network connections. When this happens, search for "tutorial wireless success" in this forums *titles*,

then apt purge wicd and configure it by hand.

Be sure to read the Docs: http://docs.armbian.com/

Please forget about configuring your system with the GUI. You will use the command line tools, and you will

have to read, google and learn a lot, From a user perspective armbian is like debian and mostly like ubuntu.

So general user instructions on these systems can often be cautiously adapted.

Many of the problems you will encounter have already been solved in this forum, so use the search.

best wishes,

gnasch

How to get desktop view with remote desktop when I have just armbian xenial server installed on opi plus 2e

So you don't have xorg and desktop at first place, but you want to view it remotely? Just use SSH, and SCP for console and file transfer. Or maybe you have to ask your question the right way - you want to install desktop on Armbian Xenial CLI image from Download section and then follow the instructions here to have remote desktop access, or something else?

So you don't have xorg and desktop at first place, but you want to view it remotely? Just use SSH, and SCP for console and file transfer. Or maybe you have to ask your question the right way - you want to install desktop on Armbian Xenial CLI image from Download section and then follow the instructions here to have remote desktop access, or something else?

Id it possible to view desktop view remotely, without having desktop installed on server?

I have Armbian Xenial installed.

I want to view desktop view remotely,

How to do that?

Id it possible to view desktop view remotely, without having desktop installed on server?

I have Armbian Xenial installed.

I want to view desktop view remotely,

How to do that?

I am not sure i understand what you ask. If it's really - "Is it possible to view desktop view remotely, without having desktop installed on server", the answer is obviously - no, you can't view something you don't have installed. If you want to - "view desktop view remotely", you have to install desktop first, then follow the advises in this topic. I think it will be easier to use tasksel. It will add a lot of staff and packages, but if you have at least 16Gb sdcard it is no problem. So in console execute this:

sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get install tasksel
sudo tasksel

Then check "Xubuntu desktop" for XFCE, or "Lubuntu Desktop" for LXDE. After installation finish, reboot and install what is needed for remote view from topic.

If you only need console access to your server, just use ssh. If you don't have ssh server (i am pretty sure armbian have it installed by default) just install it:

sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get install openssh-server

Howdy all,

First off want to say that I absolutely love X-Mouse Button Control - fantastic program, I am having one issue that is driving me mad that hopefully someone can help with.

Whenever the program is running and I am connected to a remote desktop server the scroll wheel does not pass through to the remote computer. The issue occurs both when I set the Wheel Up and Wheel Down options to no change and when they are set to Mouse Wheel Up or down. I am running Windows 10 pro x64. Any ideas?

Howdy all, First off want to say that I absolutely love X-Mouse Button Control - fantastic program, I am having one issue that is driving me mad that hopefully someone can help with. Whenever the program is running and I am connected to a remote desktop server the scroll wheel does not pass through to the remote computer. The issue occurs both when I set the Wheel Up and Wheel Down options to no change and when they are set to Mouse Wheel Up or down. I am running Windows 10 pro x64. Any ideas?

Off topic. Call M$ support, you paid for it.

tried the same thing on my a95x s905 (arm64) box running armbian xenial desktop (xfce)

i'm using x2go stable ppa.

I can see the x2go window on the client (x2go background displayed), then it goes black and closes.

the generic error from .xsession-x2go-error is the following :

The program 'xfce4-session' received an X Window System error.
This probably reflects a bug in the program.
The error was 'BadValue (integer parameter out of range for operation)'.
  (Details: serial 47 error_code 2 request_code 2 minor_code 0)

No idea what's goin on, almost no other error output is logged, not much in syslog which has x2goserver output..

tried the same thing on my a95x s905 (arm64) box running armbian xenial desktop (xfce)

i'm using x2go stable ppa.

I can see the x2go window on the client (x2go background displayed), then it goes black and closes.

Could be related related to hardware acceleration / xfce.

Install LXDE instead of XFCE. Good luck.

yup same error with lxde.

To make sure i was not missing something obvious, i made the exact same installation inside a debian testing VM (x64) and it works fine, both xfce4 and lxde.

it's also supposed to be able to run single app but don't know if that works differently than having the whole window manager, it fails the same way here anyways.

I'm starting to wonder if it's not an arm64 system (xenial) problem but i only have s905 socs to test it on, or maybe with x2go ppa build.

I will try that ppa on a 32bit arm H3 or s805 and then your git packages if nothing works. if it does work, i'll test installing a tested armhf build on my aarch64 system and see how it goes..

I will try that ppa on a 32bit arm H3 or s805 and then your git packages if nothing works. if it does work, i'll test installing a tested armhf build on my aarch64 system and see how it goes..

Armhf is tested and working on H3. Please let us know if you succeed in building arm64 x2goserver.

• Igor unpinned this topic

For anybody looking for simple solution to run remote desktop on Armbian (Banana Pi):

apt update
apt upgrade
apt install lxde tightvncserver xorg xorgxrdp

Then you can connect from (for example) Windows via mstsc (Remote Desktop) to your Pi.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.