How to add a kernel module for USB DVB-T tuner?

Andrius

Hello,

I am trying to use my espressobin board which currently runs Bionic with Hauppauge USB DVB-T tuner.

It seems the default kernel does not have a module for it.

How do I build and use it? Can I build the module on the same device or should I use another machine for that?

Kind regards

Andrius

Hi,

I've tried the same for a while with TBS5580 (dvb-s2/t2/etc usb card) for tinkerboard running ambrian kernel 4.4.y

I've used TBS github repo for V4L drives which seems has extra TBS open source drivers added to V4L, but straight building and loading modules did not work  - I've got kernel panic containing [   13.721533] PC is at dvb_usb_fe_wakeup+0x20/0x60 [dvb_usb]
[   13.723656] LR is at dvb_frontend_init+0x28/0x74 [dvb_core] etc.

It seems that since 4.4 there were changes in dvb-core and/or dvb-usb making just separately compiled driver modules sometimes not working for older kernels.  Therefore in kernel config CONFIG_MEDIA_SUPPORT=y  should be CONFIG_MEDIA_SUPPORT=m to support dvb-core as a module rather than "build-in".  This allows replacing the "original" dvb-core.ko with dvb-core.ko build fom V4L pack, otherwise there will be a conflict.  So you may need to compile kernel (unless CONFIG_MEDIA_SUPPORT is already set to "m" for your board and you already have "stock" dvb-core module)

Also (note that this is relevant for my experience, but may apply to you):

- there were changes in Kconfig language and "imply" used in one of Kconfigs in /drivers/media does not allow using make menuconfig (for rockchip's 4.4 at least), so I just replaced "imply HWMON" with "select HWMON" in that Kconfig, anyway that driver required higher kernel version

- backports patch 4.4 is not needed for rockchip's 4.4 - building the driver it patches will break, so either deselect that driver or comment out the patch in backports.txt with #

- I would be careful using make install since it will remove all original media modules including vendor specific, but would manually copy/replace only needed ones and run depmod thereafter

PS: I've used ambrian build in VM for kernel, but build V4L on tinkerboard itself to avoid thinking on cross compilation 

Hi, I made a similar post about this topic. I just want to get my Realtek RTL2832 USB DVB-T dongle working with Armbian. Did either of you get this successfully working?

Yes, mine is working absolutely fine

I've attempted to build my own version of Armbian. I followed the instructions here:

https://docs.armbian.com/Developer-Guide_Using-Vagrant/

My host OS is Windows 10. My virtualisation provider is Oracle Virtualbox 6.0.18. I am using Vagrant 2.2.7.

Everything was working until I entered the sudo ./compile.sh command, where I eventually got this error:

Processing triggers for man-db (2.8.3-2ubuntu0.1) ...
[ o.k. ] Create example config file using template [ config-default.conf ]
ln: failed to create symbolic link '/home/vagrant/armbian/userpatches/config-default.conf': Protocol error

I can see this file in the folder armbian\build\config\templates so it looks like there is something wrong with mapping it from the guest OS to the host OS.

Any help here?

EDIT: I deleted the files and started again with an elevated comand prompt, and this time it worked. I'm going to have a play and see if I can build the right kernel modules.

EDIT2: I've tried to make a build twice now, and I get the following error at the end:

scripts/Makefile.package:87: recipe for target 'intdeb-pkg' failed
Makefile:1425: recipe for target 'intdeb-pkg' failed
debian/rules:9: recipe for target 'binary-arch' failed
scripts/Makefile.package:82: recipe for target 'bindeb-pkg' failed
Makefile:1425: recipe for target 'bindeb-pkg' failed
dpkg-deb: building package 'linux-source-5.4.25-current-mvebu' in '/home/vagrant/armbian/.tmp/linux-source-current-mvebu_20.05.0-trunk_all.deb'.
mv: missing destination file operand after '/home/vagrant/armbian/output/debs/'
Try 'mv --help' for more information.
[ error ] ERROR in function compile_kernel [ compilation.sh:428 ]
[ error ] Failed moving kernel DEBs
[ o.k. ] Process terminated

On 3/17/2020 at 10:09 AM, LogicalUnit said:

I've tried to make a build twice now, and I get the following error at the end:

We made a bug that caused this - our real time testing facility is currently offline which is why we didn't notice ... its fixed https://github.com/armbian/build/commit/60f4addd0b54ed9587aed60d12c37893a07133cb