Bananapi M64 - two hardware version

constantius

Hi

I discovered that there are two versions of M64 bananapi. The first version on which all the kernel numbers go. The second version, which is not the kernel 4.19.x - kernel panic. The system will not run. I can not give you memory numbers because I covered it with sticking the heat sink. The first version is a model bought in 2016. The second version is the this year's model. The situation is similar to that of Nano pi T3 +

Hmm. maybe you mean CPU version. A64 is the old one and R18 is the new one, they are essentially the same. Maybe you mean eMMC version , the new one has a newer eMMC version and you should run with a newer Kernel version that handles this new eMMC.

I doubt there is any difference between  R18 and A64 ... eMMC is known to be different / unsupported, but that should not provoke crash. Some general QA? Different memory that is not supported by mainline u-boot ... small chances but possible.

There are still some quirks in A64 general support since people experience kernel crash from time to time.

hi. I have both A64 version. I know that R18 exist. I have build dev 5.1.6 armbian 5.88 Bionic and also has kernel panic on 2019 revision.

Can i build bionic on 4.4 kernel? 4.19 is mailaine ( next ) and  5.1.x is dev. How to switch to kernel 4.4. ?

1 hour ago, constantius said:

How to switch to kernel 4.4. ?

Mainline 4.4? There is virtually no trace of support for this chip. The only alternative kernel for A64 is 3.10.y and IIRC @@lex made some experiments with more recent Allwinner's legacy 4.4.y or 4.9.y.

yes I asked because the images of bananapi have a kernel of either 3.10 or 4.4. 

4.13 is still working well ( openSuse) . So I am looking for the possibility of building an Armbian image on some kernel less than 4.19 or 4.18. Is it possible to build an image of an armbane on a kernel less than 4.19.x?

I have some experiments with legacy kernel 4.4 before the BPI updated the kernel source (changes on eMMC and possibly Wifi, my board is too old to check the new features), I don't know if it has been improved or not.   Recently, the mainline stable  kernel  4.20 has reached a very stable condition and you can even run KODI on A64, thanks to jernejsk's work. I think the problem is on the new eMMC version. I can't help on this since i don't have this hw revision.

Tip: try to build Armbian without enabling eMMC and/or Wifi and see what happens. Grab the complete boot log, i think there are others here with the new hw revision that can help.

2 hours ago, constantius said:

yes I asked because the images of bananapi have a kernel of either 3.10 or 4.4. 

Those are legacy Allwinner kernels. We will for sure not invest time to deal more with them. 3.10.y is EOL and will be completely dropped/deleted when video routines are brought up. With our 4.19.y it might be too much work, so perhaps in next major jump. Their legacy 4.4.y is also not worth dealing with/investing time into.

4.13 is still working well ( openSuse)

Kernel is what powers boards and first partially useful mainline was our 4.14.y with tons of patches and we worked hard to make something useful. A64 got stable like coverage with 4.19.y. With Armbian, other distributions are moths to years away since they can only rely on armbian kernel or mainline, which is behind and fragile at versions that match our 4.19.y  in term of Allwinner support (5.1./master).

So I am looking for the possibility of building an Armbian image on some kernel less than 4.19 or 4.18. Is it possible to build an image of an armbane on a kernel less than 4.19.x?

If you rule out private Allwinner kernels, there is no usable support for A64 below 4.19.y unless it was ported into. I highly doubt OpenSuse or any other disrtro would do that stupid useless job and port that. By quick glance remarks on their Pine64 and Banana M64 download pages they are mentioning kernel 3.10.y ... and I will not waste my time trying to boot Opensuse to check that up.