Building an image

ghanjiboy

Hi there, can someone comment on usually how long it takes to build an image?  I know there are several factors at play - but what are some times people have gotten in making an SD card image with a clean build.

Just trying to set expectations - I am on a quad core 1.5GZ machine with 8 gigs of ram on SSD.

Thanks

2 hours ago, lanefu said:

starting fresh without cache.. probably an hourish for that setup..... once you have toolchain and rootfs cache... more like 15 minutes

got these times with a Core2Duo 2.4GHz, 8GB Ram but with a normal 7200rpm HDD

Image for a - to the cache - new device around 60-75 minutes.

for a device in cache around 15-25 minutes.

Building CLI image on 28x Xeon 2G/128GB/NvME with kernel and u-boot recompilation:

[ o.k. ] Done building [ /home/igorp/build/output/images/Armbian_5.89_Lime2_Debian_buster_next_4.19.50.img ]
[ o.k. ] Runtime [ 13 min ]

1 hour ago, GeraltOfTrivia said:

Sometimes it takes an insane amount of time to download the toolchains and rootfs when you run the script for the first time, keep that in mind. 

USE_TORRENT="yes" might help in both cases. I always get maxed out download speed.

2 minutes ago, GeraltOfTrivia said:

Thanks for the tip, I'll keep that in mind, it will definitely come in handy sooner or later. 

You are welcome. In case you have some storage and spare bandwidth: 

Hi, so in the last 2 days or so, whenever I try to build for the nanopi m4, I get a new prompt for what looks like kernel config items.  Even though I am choosing to use default kernel config. So I thought it was my issue somehow, I got rid of the vagrant image and completely re-downloaded everything, once the compressing if the linux kernel finishes, I get the prompts and I am certainly not sure what options to pick. 

Is there any guidance you can provide? 

Thanks. 

52 minutes ago, ghanjiboy said:

Hi, so in the last 2 days or so, whenever I try to build for the nanopi m4, I get a new prompt for what looks like kernel config items.  Even though I am choosing to use default kernel config. So I thought it was my issue somehow, I got rid of the vagrant image and completely re-downloaded everything, once the compressing if the linux kernel finishes, I get the prompts and I am certainly not sure what options to pick. 

Is there any guidance you can provide? 

Upstream sources were severely changed and I am fixing patches for the past two days ... wait or help.