Armbian sadly died, re-imaging, but partition 1GB?

Hi all,

Downloaded it from here:

https://www.armbian.com/orange-pi-zero/

https://dl.armbian.com/orangepizero/archive/Armbian_5.83_Orangepizero_Debian_stretch_next_4.19.38.7z

Wrote it to a 16GB MicroSD using rufus.

I'm going to be supporting this remotely (long story!!) but before mailing the SDCard to my tech at the other end, I noticed the partition is only 1GB in size.

Is this normal? Will Armbian 'extract' or re-size the partition as part of the first install / boot process?

1 hour ago, GilGonGan said:

Is this normal? Will Armbian 'extract' or re-size the partition as part of the first install / boot process?

yes

Looks like I put a faulty SDCard in there by pure accident or there are bigger problems at play.

Does OrangePi have issues with Stretch more than Jessie? read issues or any file system design issues? Faster clock on the firmware for the SDCard reader? (shrug)

I update to stretch, system kills a card in a week

Send a replacement card, kills it in 30 minutes

On 6/21/2019 at 9:45 AM, GilGonGan said:

Send a replacement card, kills it in 30 minutes

Then your card is very very low quality in a combination of a very bad treatment. Are you perhaps serving torrents or other very dangerous IO operations. Most SD cards very not designed for this and Armbian has nothing to do with this. We have implemented measures that helps with SD wear out but hardware limitations can't be changed. Get an SSD or mechanical drive in case you have some strange use case ...

13 hours ago, Igor said:

Then your card is very very low quality in a combination of a very bad treatment. Are you perhaps serving torrents or other very dangerous IO operations. Most SD cards very not designed for this and Armbian has nothing to do with this. We have implemented measures that helps with SD wear out but hardware limitations can't be changed. Get an SSD or mechanical drive in case you have some strange use case ...

I'm not sure to be honest if it's the card. I tend to use H2TestW before using cards (!!!) which should ensure they're fine!

Check out the log.

https://forum.armbian.com/topic/10712-orangepi-killing-sd-card-or-device-dying-unsure-bash-usrbinsudo-inputoutput-error/?tab=comments#comment-81090

I mean heck that card was quite new, maybe just a fluke, I'm sending out another one, if that fails then I'm super confused!

3 hours ago, GilGonGan said:

'm not sure to be honest if it's the card.

I am only 100% sure that its not a problem we could recognise as our fault. IMHO there are several hundredths of thousandth installs on this board and in that case forum would be over-flooded with this problem.

Read this https://docs.armbian.com/User-Guide_Getting-Started/#how-to-prepare-a-sd-card and behave accordingly and deploy your install to production when you are 100% sure things are working  well ...

Perhaps a board is just faulty. You have another one?

Moving to SD card and power supply section.

6 hours ago, Igor said:

I am only 100% sure that its not a problem we could recognise as our fault. IMHO there are several hundredths of thousandth installs on this board and in that case forum would be over-flooded with this problem.

Read this https://docs.armbian.com/User-Guide_Getting-Started/#how-to-prepare-a-sd-card and behave accordingly and deploy your install to production when you are 100% sure things are working  well ...

Perhaps a board is just faulty. You have another one?

Moving to SD card and power supply section.

Thanks for your help, I was concerned because I know new models of Pi run very hot and have weirdo problems, I thought there was a slim chance there's a firmware update in Armbian which may have triggered something? (I know that sounds crazy, but isn't there Raspberry Pi firmware inside Raspbian?)

Anyhow, I digress, I've tested a 3'rd SDcard in full and written it, I'll try it, if this fails, I suspect the Orange Pi is sadly toast !

Thanks for help, will update in a few days.

Thanks to all those on this forum, across multiple threads helping me.

End of the day, sadly, the best solution was a wiped SDCard (fill 0s) test SDcard (h2testw, full) and re-flash to the latest stretch.

3'rd SDCard a charm, it's booted, I've updated aptupd/upg and installed pihole and it appears to be working fine.

Let's hope she stays that way.

One thing, in order to avoid this problem in the future, since the jessie library /repository was moved (??) shouidl I make a habit of doing an apt-update / upgrade say once every 2 or 3 months to stay on top of things?

More often? I can do this

I just want to avoid being so far behind, when I go to update, the repository has moved and I have to edit sources files ( a very unfriendly way of handling things, feels very 1999 linux like, I can't BELIEVE the way it works)

On 6/27/2019 at 7:46 AM, GilGonGan said:

the repository has moved and I have to edit sources files

Nothing has been moved or changed in this regard. Armbian repository hasn't changed since it was established. We are just adding to it.

If Debian or Ubuntu made some changes at their infrastructure, that is out of our power. Debian Jessie is EOL and there is nothing we can do about. Use Debian Stretch (soon Buster) based images.

On 6/27/2019 at 8:01 PM, Igor said:

Nothing has been moved or changed in this regard. Armbian repository hasn't changed since it was established. We are just adding to it.

If Debian or Ubuntu made some changes at their infrastructure, that is out of our power. Debian Jessie is EOL and there is nothing we can do about. Use Debian Stretch (soon Buster) based images.

Put yourself in the seat of a Linux newbie.

Apt get update and upgrade were "broken" for reasons out of our control 

I didn't do an update for a year.

The update server no longer hosted the files I needed for Jessie.

I couldn't update Jessie to the latest patch level, period.  Without editing files.

Others had the same issue.

Linux experienced people can try and defend this but from a usability standpoint, this is terrible.  Needs a far better error message or an option "Jessie is dead, but would you like the last of the files for it?"

Bad design.

None the less it's fixed now 

6 hours ago, GilGonGan said:

Put yourself in the seat of a Linux newbie.

Linux is a community project and nobody can take responsibility over the software he didn't make. Be open for learning to be able to understand how things are. You can step up and change things to better. OS development and maintenance needs not just hardcore developers. Newbie perspective is important. People that start to collaborate on the project invest their know-how, because experience on SBC Linux was terrible, because is a challenge, fun, ... What you see now is already polished, Armbian is super polished ... but ofc not perfect. We already do wonders with extremely limited resources we have. I can afford to work on the project between 2 and 10h. Most of this is spent for talking with "you", collaborators and 3rd party.

6 hours ago, GilGonGan said:

Needs a far better error message

You get free R&D, free support and now you expect top shit UX, marketing agency level communication, education? I really have no idea how to do that and why? This is not a commercial project and more users means more troubles ... Step up, donate millions and problem might be solved ;) Or not. Currently,  1 person can't handle 1000 users needs in their free time. It doesn't work out.

I understand linux is free and the work is appreciated, you have no idea, I wish I could contribute./

I'm in my 40's now, I've encountered linux in some form or another literally since the very late 90s with slackware.

The issue here is that updating an operating system, using the CLI (which I'm ok with) fails,   it simply shouldn't fail, PERIOD

It should say as I said "jessie files are now in archive state, edit this file to fix'  or "jessie files are now in archive, would you like latest version of jessie branch"  - SOMETHING?

Instead you've got at least 5 or 10 people across the web, inundating forums with "why the heck do I need to edit sources.list and what EXACTLY do I put there?"   -  from an end user perspective, arguably, linux is still showing incredibly poor end user design decisions over 20 years on.

I don't expect a flashy animated box that says "fix all my problems" but the fact a simple update, won't work, because files were flagged as old is  you know.. not great

Anyhow - it is what it is, she's working ok now, and I appreciate the reply