lonix

Thank you tkaiser.

I tried the following image.

Armbian_5.14_Orangepipcplus_Debian_jessie_3.4.112_desktop

Built in wifi works fine.

And nand-sata-install works good.

It's possible to boot from emmc.

BTW

There are no links to this image in a download page of Armbian at this moment.

When I log in using ssh, a local IP address is indicated.

So I changed /etc/update-motd.d/30-sysinfo

Before

ip_address=$((ifconfig -a) | sed -n '/inet addr/s/.*addr.\([^ ]*\) .*/\1/p' | head -1)

After

ip_address=$((ifconfig -a) | sed -n '/inet addr/s/.*addr.\([^ ]*\) .*/\1/p' | tail -1)

Yesterday I installed armbian on my emmc of my Banana pi m2+. After this I found this thread, that there are limits when I would use the emmc for the system an the sd card for data. Now I can use the emmc without problems. But I don´t know what I have to do to use the sd card? I don´t understand how I could use the linked Information to https://github.com/igorpecovnik/lib/blob/master/config/fex/orangepiplus.fex#L693-L696 ??

Could someone explain me detailed what I should do?

I don´t know if it matters: at this time my sd card is formated with ext4.

no one who can help me??

After this I found this thread, that there are limits when I would use the emmc for the system an the sd card for data.

There are two different approaches since the 'problem' is inserted SD card always wins over eMMC when it's about detection where to boot from.

1. One approach is to leave SD card out of the slot, boot from eMMC but modify settings in a way that an SD card that will be later inserted gets identified/mounted. This is described here (post #4)
  2. The other approach is to find a way an inserted SD card at boot doesn't prevent booting from eMMC or using the rootfs on eMMC. This is currently work in progress

So in case you want something that works now you could give variant 1 a try (and modify script.bin) or you wipe out your SD card entirely (so no SPL header is present -- overwrite the 1st MB with /dev/zero) and then partition it, insert it and when board boots from eMMC then simply check /proc/partition afterwards and add SD storage to /etc/fstab (and don't forget to use the nofail option)

Thanks tkaiser for your answer. 

I´ll try to use your first variant but only so long till variant 2 is ready. This would be the best way and when I bought my banana pi board I thougt this would be no problem to use the SD Card as data storage. But I look forward that the problem would be solved.

when I bought my banana pi board I thougt this would be no problem to use the SD Card as data storage. But I look forward that the problem would be solved.

Oh, you threw money at @sinovoip, realize now that there exist plenty of problems on the software side and expect us to fix that? For free? Really? Don't you think you should ask @sinovoip for a solution instead? Or at least ask them to pay us if you expect us fixing their issues?

hello guys .

I'm working with Armbian 5_14 , today I have installed all I need.

At the end , is there one way to install all the SD card into eMMC ? 

If there are some troubles, for me laso good to erase completly the emmc , because sometimes starts from there and not from armbian

If I erase the emmc I think the OS starts with armbian secure or not?

I have formatted the emmc with gparted , was debian jessie before. I start from a new armbian 5_14 in SD card but doesn't start 

i think there are some problem in armbian for that .

The OS doesn't start from SD card if there is an other OS into the emmc and also if the emmc is formatted 

with the new SD card , armbian starts and reboot .

After I have installed some program and service like igorpecovnik/hostapd , armbian doesn't start any more .....I thank was the usb pen drive and I takeout before reboot , but nothing 

Armbian doesn't reboot ....the EMMC is empty 

[ OK ]  blablabla
[ OK ]  set map and keyboard 

reboot , reboot again and never start

I cannot understand why ....

If I reboot 3 times, one time reboot ok and two times not reboot . I have to take out power supply and give until start, in this way the new sd card will crash soon

In this condition is pratically impossible to do something

I start from a new armbian 5_14 in SD card but doesn't start i think there are some problem in armbian for that .

Those latest images are tested. Try different SD card, write once again, plug unplug SD card, ... it must be something stupid. Boot logs would help, to see if it comes further than uboot.

The OS doesn't start from SD card if there is an other OS into the emmc and also if the emmc is formatted 

I explained already when the SoC starts from SD card and when not. So all you're telling us is that either your SD card is broken or something went wrong when writing the OS image to it (also a known problem, some card readers on USB front ports are known for causing problems, some USB card readers are prone to overheating, and so on).

Since it's annoying to deal with hardware failures and trying to blame the software, the solution is easy: TEST YOUR IMAGE WRITING PROCESS!!!

Over 95 percent of all 'there's something wrong with Armbian' reports are related to either: 

• crappy SD card or image writing process
  • insufficient power supply

ok guys ....

the power supply is 5V 2A and the SD card is 16 Gb class 10 . I have tested with other 4 card class 10 with 16 Gb and 8Gb . I had rewrite image , armbian5_14 , armbian5_10 etc ..

Do you think there are some issues in my orange pi plus 2 HW ?

Now I have ordered an orange pi pc plus . i will test 

If you are interested , I ahve an information to give. 

Today I have started after 4-5 times disconnet power supply , also disconnect some I/O I2C to have more power. 

I start armbian without cable lan connected , after I connect and from the top of the desktop I click over the "wired to ....." 

Wicd start and system reboot automatically and now reboot and reboot again . Also if open wicd from menu I get this bug .

Other info ....after rebooting [ OK ]  bla bla bla .....I can see the wifi net on my android phone , but not connect of course but the desktop is black .

Is like the system is partially started but not useful

I have discovered that when orange pi is stopped for a long time and the temperature is low , it starts better .

If it is hot armbian doesn't start .Is there any temperature control ?

Otherwise I have the heat sink and the fan continously running 

@tkaiser

I have installed armbianmonitor -r 

Finish ok and tells me  " Now youare able to connect to RPi-Monitor at 192.168.1.4:8888 " 

But when Iopen the browser and tyoe that , nothing    

Do you have some suggest ?

Thank you 

Walter

Finish ok and tells me  " Now youare able to connect to RPi-Monitor at 192.168.1.4:8888 " 

But when Iopen the browser and tyoe that , nothing    

Do you have some suggest ?

Use copy&paste instead of 'tyoe'? Check firewall settings? Ensure that the daemon is running (ps auxww | grep rpi)? Use 'armbianmonitor -m'?

I checked installation of RPi-Monitor myself just to realize that something's broken since a few weeks (related to the github repo where we try to install rpimonitord from)

These steps help recovering from this situation:

sudo su -
wget -q -O rpimonitor_2.10-1_all.deb https://github.com/XavierBerger/RPi-Monitor-deb/blob/master/packages/rpimonitor_2.10-1_all.deb?raw=true
dpkg -i rpimonitor_2.10-1_all.deb || apt-get -f install
cd / && wget -q -O - http://kaiser-edv.de/downloads/RPi-Monitor-for-H3.tgz | tar xzf -
/usr/share/rpimonitor/scripts/updatePackagesStatus.pl
systemctl restart rpimonitor

ok thanks !   ;)

today I have installed the armbian into eMMC by using the command  nand-sata-install 

That's a BOMB now !!! 

Access Point also is a bomb ....just a little problem ... if I click on the top-right of the desktop, you know  thare  the clock , network info , name ..if I click on  the network automatically open wicd and then reboot , maybe crash I don't know why , but anyways I don't touch it anymore

Does anyone know how to backup from EMMC to SD-CARD?

Well, there are threads already covering these aspects (what's a backup, what's just a simple clone, what to expect from what -- the usual stuff no one wants to hear). The most simple solution is to grab an SD card of equal size, download a 'server image' of Armbian for the device in question, burn this to SD card, properly shutdown your eMMC installation, then start from SD card and follow the usual procedure (creating a user account and so on).

Then simply do this:

sudo su -
apt-get install p7zip
mkdir /var/images
cat /proc/partitions
df -h /
dd if=/dev/mmcblk1 bs=10M | 7zr a -bd -t7z -m0=lzma -mx=9 -mfb=64 -md=32m -ms=on -si /var/images/emmc.img.7z

(checking /proc/partitions and df output is recommended to verify that mmcblk1 is your eMMC). Now you end up with a compressed device image of your eMMC available as /var/images/emmc.img.7z on the SD card. Shutdown, eject the SD card and reboot from eMMC and repeat the procedure above if you think a new clone would be a good idea (or start to think about backup instead which is something completely different than dumb cloning :) )

Further references (how to do better, eg overwriting unused space with zeros): http://forum.armbian.com/index.php/topic/1331-armbian-sd-card-backup/

EDIT: Corrected path to emmc.img.7z

Thank you for your answer.

I tried.

But there is no mmcblk1.

root@orangepipcplus:/home/orangepi# cat /proc/partitions

major minor  #blocks  name

179        0    7634944 mmcblk0

179        1    7633920 mmcblk0p1

179       32       4096 mmcblk0boot1

179       16       4096 mmcblk0boot0

root@orangepipcplus:/home/orangepi# df -h

Filesystem      Size  Used Avail Use% Mounted on

/dev/mmcblk0p1  7.2G  1.2G  5.7G  18% /

udev             10M     0   10M   0% /dev

tmpfs           201M  4.5M  196M   3% /run

tmpfs           501M     0  501M   0% /dev/shm

tmpfs           5.0M  4.0K  5.0M   1% /run/lock

tmpfs           501M     0  501M   0% /sys/fs/cgroup

tmpfs           501M     0  501M   0% /tmp

tmpfs           101M     0  101M   0% /run/user/1000

root@orangepipcplus:/home/orangepi# uname -a

Linux orangepipcplus 3.4.112-sun8i #10 SMP PREEMPT Wed Jun 1 19:43:08 CEST 2016 armv7l GNU/Linux

root@orangepipcplus:/home/orangepi# ls /dev/mm*

/dev/mmcblk0  /dev/mmcblk0boot0  /dev/mmcblk0boot1  /dev/mmcblk0p1

But there is no mmcblk1.

Please read again. You need a most recent Armbian image for Orange Pi PC Plus burned to an SD card and then you need to reboot with this SD card inserted. Then OPi boot will boot from SD card which should be mmcblk0 and eMMC mmcblk1.

Please read again. You need a most recent Armbian image for Orange Pi PC Plus burned to an SD card and then you need to reboot with this SD card inserted. Then OPi boot will boot from SD card which should be mmcblk0 and eMMC mmcblk1.

I did a boot from SD-CARD and tried again.
Everything works fine.
I can use EMMC surely with this.
Thank you.

BTW
There is a type mistake.
dd if=/dev/mmcblk1 bs=10M | 7zr a -bd -t7z -m0=lzma -mx=9 -mfb=64 -md=32m -ms=on -si /var/backups/emmc.img.7z
                                                                                                                                                         ~~~~~~~

dd if=/dev/mmcblk1 bs=10M | 7zr a -bd -t7z -m0=lzma -mx=9 -mfb=64 -md=32m -ms=on -si /var/images/emmc.img.7z

As some of you know, I've added patches for eMMC in Mainline 4.6.x kernel DTS yesterday, they are no merged.

But I've almost forgot that u-boot need some patches too. I did them for u-boot DTS, but I'm still facing issues :

The u-boot still doesn't see the eMMC !

U-Boot SPL 2016.05-armbian (Jun 25 2016 - 12:09:52)
DRAM: 2048 MiB
Card did not respond to voltage select!
Could not determine boot source

resetting ...

Maybe I've missed something (I'm not very familiar with u-boot)

While using the SDCard u-boot, doing "mmc list" only shows the SDCard itself, no eMMC

I've tried using the u-boot-sunxi-with-spl.bin file that @Ionix, and this one was seeing the eMMC, although it crashed later during kernel, probably for some other reasons.

So, I'm sure there is something else missing in the u-boot build which will require a patch, but I can't figure out yet...

EDIT : Shame on me !

I've forgotten to apply same kind of patch used in Legacy :

+CONFIG_MMC0_CD_PIN="PF6"
+CONFIG_MMC_SUNXI_SLOT_EXTRA=2

Now, it is time to debug why kernel crash and reboot, it must related to eMMC too, since the same kernel image is booting fine from SD.

On eMMC, the boot log shows :

[    5.442574] random: systemd-udevd urandom read with 2 bits of entropy available
[   46.817443] reboot: Restarting system

while same kernel image on SD shows until boot succeed :

[    5.476294] random: systemd-udevd urandom read with 3 bits of entropy available
[   11.361397] EXT4-fs (mmcblk0p1): mounted filesystem with writeback data mode. Opts: (null)

So, the "mounting filesystem" fails ... :(

EDIT2: issue found and manually fixed !

It looks like "nand-sata-install" didn't tweaked the eMMC/boot/boot.cmd which was still pointing to SDCard.

I will tell Igor about that so that he can take a look.

(BTW, all this debugging was done on a OrangePi-Plus2E with 4.6.2 where eMMC appears as /dev/mmcblk2)

Hello , i'm interresting to backup emmc on opi pc + , i see script on post 56. is this script work fine? if i understand how it work , i must copy script on sd card with armbian , boot from this sd and launch script . at end i have a copy of emmc in sd /var/images/emmc.img.7z?

and if i want to restore this image on emmc, how i do? (dd?)

thanks.

Hello , i'm interresting to backup emmc on opi pc + , i see script on post 56. is this script work fine? if i understand how it work , i must copy script on sd card with armbian , boot from this sd and launch script . at end i have a copy of emmc in sd /var/images/emmc.img.7z?

and if i want to restore this image on emmc, how i do? (dd?)

thanks.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.