Cannot build for OrangePiOne

willkessler

Hi, Trying to build a full installation for an Orange Pi One.   Building on a DigitalOcean ubuntu 15.10x64 host with 20Gb free disk where apt-get update has been run.  I followed the instructions here:

https://github.com/igorpecovnik/lib

The build fails with 

Installing Armbian on top of Debian Jessie base system ...

bridge-utils

Installation of package failed.

Screenshot: http://screencast.com/t/uDyMUyPMSnVL

What am I doing wrong?

The reason I am trying to do this is because I would like to create a custom Armbian where the wpa_supplicant.conf is preloaded with my home wifi information, so I can just boot these cards headlessly and they'll be online with their wifi dongles.

Thank you for any help you can provide.

15.10 works fine (apart from some configurations where older compiler verion is reqiured), but setting EXTENDED_DEBOOTSTRAP=yes is recommended in this case  :)

@willkessler

Can you post output/debug/install.log here, on pastebin or similar service?

Did you try building only once or your problem can be reproduced (installation may fail i.e. due to random network issues)?

Hello, Thank you for your help!

I will try under 14.10.

I also just retried under 15.10 choosing Trusty instead of Jessie, and it fails in a different spot: lib-ssl-dev.  If you're interested, the log is here from this second run

http://pastebin.com/q8Tx1pm0

I will also now try with zador's environment variable, and in parallel try a build under 14.10.

Lastly, @igor, any feedback while I've got you on where to read in the docs about how to automatically install a wpa_supplicant.conf file into /etc/wpa_supplicant/ ? (or whatever file is needed to preconfigure wifi on armbian, if it's not identical to raspbian in this respect).

Thanks again for all your help!

I will try under 14.10.

I will also now try with zador's environment variable, and in parallel try a build under 14.10.

Well, 14.10 is definitely not supported  :) 14.04, 15.10 or 16.04 should work fine.

EXTENDED_DEBOOTSTRAP=yes is designed more for passing via command line or adding to compile.sh, but passing it via environment should work too.

I am recreating the exact same scenario ... just to make sure.

whatever you want to do on the top of the image:

https://github.com/igorpecovnik/lib/blob/master/documentation/geek-faq.md#user-provided-image-customization-script

So Igor, just to clarify for anybody else reading this, whatever I write in customize-image.sh will execute after first boot of the SD card on the Orange Pi One?

BTW: I just made an Ubuntu trusty desktop image from scratch, for Orange pi plus, compiled on Ubuntu Trusty X64. The only thing which I did not erase is apt-cacher cache, where script stores .deb packages needed for any combination.

Yes, I seem to have succeeded just now under 15.10 using EXTENDED_DEBOOTSTRAP=yes

ALthough I did notice this message going by, not sure it matters...

dpkg: error processing package mpv (--install):
 dependency problems - leaving unconfigured
Errors were encountered while processing:
 mpv

I'll burn an SD card with the resulting zip file and see if it'll boot up:

[ o.k. ] Done building [ /home/armbian/output/images/Armbian_5.10_Orangepih3_Debian_jessie_3.4.111_desktop.zip [802M] ]

Thanks, guys!

[

Well gentlemen,  I put my build from 15.10 onto a working SD card, and it does not boot. 

To put it on the SD card (macos)  I did:

diskutil unmountDisk disk1 && sudo dd if=Armbian_5.10_Orangepih3_Debian_jessie_3.4.111_desktop.raw of=/dev/disk1 bs=1m

which has worked fine for the default armbian builds from here: http://share.loverpi.com/downloads/opi/pc/, and those boot fine on my raspberry pi from LoveRPi.

When I list the device after dumping onto the SD card the partitions look like the following (expected?)

/dev/disk1
   #:                       TYPE NAME                    SIZE       IDENTIFIER
   0:     FDisk_partition_scheme                        *7.9 GB     disk1
   1:                      Linux                         2.4 GB     disk1s1

Overall, are builds from 15.10 known to work?

I am going to attempt 16.04x64 now just to see... THanks for any advice....  :D

And just for the edification of anybody else reading this, I got Jessie built under 16.04x64 on digital ocean using default kernel 3.4.112.

Wifi doesn't seem to function quite right on the OrangePi One using a dongle from LoveRPi (scans ok but seems to encrypt wrong) but otherwise things seem to work fine.