Banana Pie with SD and USB HDD wont boot from SD

TRM

Can you perhaps provide more info about your OS, perhaps make a picture of a screen where it stops or logs from serial console. Without any of this its hard to tell.

Hello Igor,

without USB plugged in HDD, the banana pie starts trough.

With plugged in USB HDD i can see only a flashing screen, no output.

Maybe the banana pie tries to start from USB HDD, instead of the SD card?

On the SD card i flashed a fresh armbian ( Armbian_5.83_Bananapipro_Ubuntu_bionic_next_4.19.38.img ), updated to the last, it runs smoothly without any USB HDD.

I switched over from Raspbian_For_BananaPi_v1412 to armbian. On RaspBian there wasn't any boot loop.

1 hour ago, TRM said:

without USB plugged in HDD, the banana pie starts trough.

With plugged in USB HDD i can see only a flashing screen, no output.

Can't reproduce with my USB hub. Mechanical drive or SSD. When (mechanical) connected directly to Banana USB, board doesn't start ... which is expected due to poor electrical design.

1 hour ago, TRM said:

Maybe the banana pie tries to start from USB HDD, instead of the SD card?

Bootloader, after is loaded from SD card it does check, but since you don't have a system there, it skips.

Perhaps your USB hub is not the best? Most of them are junk http://www.yoctopuce.com/EN/article/how-many-usb-devices-can-you-connect

T

2 minutes ago, Igor said:

Can't reproduce with my USB hub. Mechanical drive or SSD. When (mechanical) connected directly to Banana USB, board doesn't start ... which is expected due to poor electrical design.

Bootloader, after is loaded from SD card it does check, but since you don't have a system there, it skips.

Perhaps your USB hub is not the best? Most of them are junk http://www.yoctopuce.com/EN/article/how-many-usb-devices-can-you-connect

Huhu Igor, HDD <> SSD :-)

The HDD is plugged into the banana pie directly. No hub. Only 1 HDD.

So it wont still boot.

If the banana is trying to boot up and i remove the usb cable from the hdd, it starts to boot.

So maybe i have to go back to raspbian.. :-(

6 minutes ago, TRM said:

The HDD is plugged into the banana pie directly. No hub. Only 1 HDD.

Than its pretty normal that it doesn't boot. Talk to people which design this board so poorly ... 

6 minutes ago, TRM said:

So maybe i have to go back to raspbian.. :-(

From previous century full of bugs? Not recommended.

11 minutes ago, Igor said:

Than its pretty normal that it doesn't boot. Talk to people which design this board so poorly ... 

From previous century full of bugs? Not recommended.

But why on raspbian this will work?

26 minutes ago, TRM said:

But why on raspbian this will work?

It uses stock u-boot where initial voltage demands are obviously (by random and not because to address this problem) set differently. HDD drain more power at power up and if board also consumes a lot at the same moment , voltage drop will be too big and board will just shut down ... you can't beat the physical laws.

It is not possible to boot modern kernel with that u-boot ... hardware hacks - powering via GPIO or soldering a battery might help.