SMB shares not working after update

LogicalUnit

Hi everyone,

I have a Helios4 NAS on which I have installed Armbian 5.85. I used the Armbian-Config to install OMV 4.1.23-1 (Arrakis). I used OMV to configure some CMB/CIFS shares which were working properly.

I connected to my server via SSH, and performed an apt update/upgrade, and I think this broke my SMB shares. According to my Googling, Debian now uses smbd instead of samba. When I try to access my shares at \\192.168.1.x I get a message that says "The specified network name is no longer available." When I run sudo service smbd status, I get the following:

● smbd.service - Samba SMB Daemon
Loaded: loaded (/lib/systemd/system/smbd.service; enabled; vendor preset: enabled)
Active: active (running) since Thu 2019-07-04 12:03:24 UTC; 6min ago
Docs: man:smbd(8)
man:samba(7)
man:smb.conf(5)
Main PID: 2602 (smbd)
Tasks: 3 (limit: 4915)
CGroup: /system.slice/smbd.service
├─2602 /usr/sbin/smbd
├─2603 /usr/sbin/smbd
└─2604 /usr/sbin/smbd

Jul 04 12:03:24 helios4 systemd[1]: Starting Samba SMB Daemon...
Jul 04 12:03:24 helios4 systemd[1]: smbd.service: Supervising process 2602 which is not our child. We'll most likely not notice when it exits.
Jul 04 12:03:24 helios4 smbd[2602]: [2019/07/04 12:03:24.781392, 0] ../lib/util/become_daemon.c:124(daemon_ready)
Jul 04 12:03:24 helios4 systemd[1]: Started Samba SMB Daemon.
Jul 04 12:03:24 helios4 smbd[2602]: STATUS=daemon 'smbd' finished starting up and ready to serve connections

When I run sudo service samba status I get

● samba.service
   Loaded: masked (/dev/null; bad)
   Active: inactive (dead)

My /etc/samba/smb.conf file is attached (remove .txt extension)

Any help appreciated.

Thanks,
~LU

smb.conf.txt

it looks like smbd is searching the smb.conf not every time in /etc/samba but maybe in 

/usr/local/samba/lib/

This is the default location of the smb.conf(5) server configuration file. Other common places that systems install this file are /usr/samba/lib/smb.conf and /etc/samba/smb.conf.

https://www.samba.org/samba/docs/current/man-html/smbd.8.html

(EDIT)

your smb.conf seems to be a empty default one, because the shares media and main have - for me - no real useable path.

do you got a backup of your old smb.conf?

sometimes - while updating - apt does ask to replace some files and if you did say yes to replace then its possible that apt did replace you smb.conf :(

Okay so I believe that the smb.conf file I attached is what is created by the Open Media Vault web interface. I configured the shares "main" and "media" and their paths in the file are correct. I think the problem is that OMV wants to use samba, but since I upgraded Armbian from the command line, samba has been disabled in favour of smbd.

So it's possible that smbd is looking for smb.conf in the wrong place. The one I attached came from /etc/samba/smb.conf