Special considerations upgrading Debian release (Stretch to Buster)?

BCMM

What is the correct way to upgrade from Stretch to Buster? Can I just follow the ordinary Debian upgrade guide, or are there special considerations I should be aware of? Do I need to do a clean install?

1 hour ago, BCMM said:

What is the correct way to upgrade from Stretch to Buster? Can I just follow the ordinary Debian upgrade guide, or are there special considerations I should be aware of? Do I need to do a clean install?

Freeze your kernel in armbian-config may be a good idea.

Does anyone has experience with the upgrade from Stretch to Buster on armbian according the Debian upgrade guide? 

As far as I read a kernel freeze and the steps from the debian upgrade guide should be sufficient for sucessfull upgrade?

I would not call it experience, but I did indeed do such an upgrade on a Tinkerboard last weekend.

They should. Any sorts of hiccups may happen in your environment. I would suggest to:

1. Backup your data: "No backup, no pity."

2. Locate any *.dpkg-dist and *.dpkg-old files on your system and deal with them before doing anything else.

3. Read the Debian upgrade guide very carefully. Follow the references, too, especially those in "4.1. Preparing for the upgrade". 

4. Execute just one step at a time, check for errors, do not continue until you are sure the action was successful. Else eliminate errors first or at least verify they really are negligible. Always keep your config files, do not let the installer overwrite them with newer versions from the packages! Deal with them during the next step.

5. Do not forget to locate *.dpkg-dist and *.dpkg-old files afterwards, diff the relating config files and either merge or otherwise handle the differences.

6. Double check the Kernel installation before attempting to reboot.

No guarantees. - However, the upgrade procedure is relatively safe, if your system is in a sane state and you follow the guide precisely.

One note, though: It might be more efficient and faster to backup your data and rebuild the system from scratch, that is, from a clean Armbian Buster image, and just restore your data afterwards. Consider if it is really worth the effort. (In a professional environment, I habe always denied requests to upgrade for several reasons, one of them was deployment being at least as fast or even faster than any in-place upgrades.)

On 7/6/2019 at 4:50 AM, BCMM said:

As root:

cp /etc/apt/sources.list /etc/apt/sources.list.backup
sed -i 's|stretch|buster|g' /etc/apt/sources.list
apt update && apt -y upgrade && apt -y dist-upgrade

It takes awhile, and welcome to Buster.

On 10/7/2019 at 12:44 PM, ynotssor said:

As root:

cp /etc/apt/sources.list /etc/apt/sources.list.backup
sed -i 's|stretch|buster|g' /etc/apt/sources.list
apt update && apt -y upgrade && apt -y dist-upgrade

It takes awhile, and welcome to Buster.

Just to confirm I did this on a NanoPi M4 running Armbian stretch (with OMV installed) and it was successful.  Now running Buster.  I had to answer some questions about local files different than maintainers.  Mostly I took Maintainers, but stayed with Local for things relevant to OMV such as Samba config. 

Also, after rebooting, run update/upgrade again.

• TRS-80 changed the title to Special considerations upgrading Debian release (Stretch to Buster)?
  • Vanitarium pinned and unpinned this topic