USB DVB-T kernel module missing on Rock64

WrongWorld

Hello,

I have a Rock64 V2 which I am using as a Tvheadend server, among other stuff. For some months I put the kernel/dtb packages on hold, because I discovered that linux-image-rockchip64 after version 5.75 did not include the kernel module for th USB DVB-T stick I need (an EyeTV DVB-T device, i.e. a clone of Hauppauge), that is dvb-usb-dib0700 or the like (I am trying to remember).

I have recently unhold the Linux packages and let apt to update them. Now at version 5.90, I see that the kernel module is still not included, and my USB device cannot be used. Going back to Linux image 5.75 makes the stick to work again, but I'd like to have the latest versions running.

Questions:

1) Am I missing an extra package?

2) How can I get back on driver? (Well, a third one would be why it has been removed from the latest versions)

Thanks!

5 hours ago, WrongWorld said:

rockchip64 after version 5.75 did not include the kernel module for th USB DVB-T

Do investigation of those two files:

https://github.com/armbian/build/blob/master/config/kernel/linux-rockchip64-default.config

https://github.com/armbian/build/blob/master/config/kernel/linux-rockchip64-dev.config

And when you figure out which modules are missing, send a PR. Like this one:
https://github.com/armbian/build/pull/1441

21 hours ago, Igor said:

OK, I've checked them and apparently in commit 58725209d970c98489a4ee5cdf085a80347c5d47, in linux-rockchip64-default.config, CONFIG_DVB_USB_DIB0700=m was removed for reasons I haven't investigated yet (although it seems it's coming from a sync with ayufan's branch) , hence the kernel module went out of the package.

It will take some time on my side to submit a proper pull request, as I am not particularly fluent in rebuilding the kernel, nor in managing Git contributions.

Thank you for your support, Igor.

Well it took me a long time (actually it was finding the time to dedicate to something quite new for me), but it seems that I've finally fixed the issue with this popular DVB-USB stick. The problem lies in the linux-rockchip64 driver file provided by ayufan's rockchip kernel fork (dib0700_devices.c), which was not updated after a refactoring of some IR macros occurred in the kernel's headers. Since including the module causes a compilation error, the maintainer probably decided it was easier to remove it from the build.

I have forked and cloned the latest armbian build environment, and created a patch file to fix the module's source in the ayufan kernel (4.4.192). I need to do some more test on the reliability of the driver (no antenna connection here in my lab), but a least both the kernel and TVheadend see it again. :D

Since I am new to git-based contribs, I'd like to know which would be the preferable way to prepare the patch for a pull request.

• move the patch from userpatches/kernel/... to patch/kernel/... and ask for a pull request to armbian, or
  • fork-clone-patch-commit-pull ayufan's kernel, as the issue is really there

On 10/9/2019 at 11:31 PM, WrongWorld said:

Since I am new to git-based contribs

Both ways are good while sending a patch to armbian might be quicker solution :)

20 minutes ago, WrongWorld said:

once (and if) ayufan will include the patches into the kernel you will not need them any more.

Once patch is included upstream only a warning pops up at our side at build time and is eventually removed once. This is our default procedure - most of the features we already including with a patch once eventually get upstream. Or not. Rockchip is not the best example for this, while Allwinner is: https://github.com/armbian/build/tree/master/patch/kernel/sunxi-next

Merged. Tnx.