ODROID-XU4 "special price" $49 is this legit or a marketing gimmick?

TRS-80

As previously posted, I have been looking to buy another board. My research continues. But today I came across this, and wanted to ask if this was something I should jump on, or do they always sell for this price?

ODROID-XU4 at Hardkernel shop shows a price of $59.00, which is crossed out and now $49.00 is shown instead.

I added an 8GB EMMC module, and then went to my cart to check shipping, which was $28.00 to Eastern US! I have emailed them asking if there is any cheaper shipping option, as that is almost 50% of the price! I will report back their reply if/when I receive it.

2 hours ago, TRS-80 said:

I added an 8GB EMMC module, and then went to my cart to check shipping, which was $28.00 to Eastern US! I have emailed them asking if there is any cheaper shipping option, as that is almost 50% of the price! I will report back their reply if/when I receive it.

There must be some local US re-sellers. I am only familiar with EU bases so can't really recommend anything from first hand. $49 USD is normal price but now PSU  is separate. That's the trick ;) 

Quick look on eBay shows $60-70-something range with "free (built-in) shipping" (to US). I saw one used one going for $50, incl. shipping.

I did not search around for resellers in US, maybe I will do that later.

Thanks for input.

I received an email back from Hardkernel, they said that's the best they can do on shipping. They did however direct me to their Distributors page, where I see (2) listed for U.S.:

Olympian lists them for $99 apiece (lol), I didn't even bother to look into shipping.

AmeriDroid has them for $51.95 USD + 16(!) different shipping options, the cheapest one being First Class for $6.06, total $58.01, but they are out of stock until end of July / early August.

9 hours ago, Igor said:

PSU  is separate. That's the trick ;) 

Well, honestly I'd prefer to source my own (quality) PSU, rather than get some cheap Chinese who-knows-what at a greatly inflated (/added in) price.

I've always been a fan of good, quality PSUs in all my electronics, especially sensitive ones like computers, etc. And that was even before reading all the big, bolded admonishments here about the importance of adequate power!

For instance, for my Cubietruck I found a Mean Well class VI (I think? some high 90 something % efficiency) at someplace like Mouser. It was only like $20 something shipped. Well worth it, IMO.

59 minutes ago, TRS-80 said:

I received an email back from Hardkernel, they said that's the best they can do on shipping. They did however direct me to their Distributors page, where I see (2) listed for U.S.:

Hmmm i guess that adds up....  They do ship it via DHL from Korea and arrives pretty fast.... I ordered may 10 and it came may 15th.

image.png

I guess I've been ordering too much stuff on Aliexpress, my expectations are now to pay peanuts and wait weeks (and I'm fine with that, actually). :D

I think I'll probably go with AmeriDroid, they are cheapest and I'm not in a hurry. They also seem to carry the EMMC modules, so it's still one stop shopping.

2 hours ago, TRS-80 said:

Well, honestly I'd prefer to source my own (quality) PSU, rather than get some cheap Chinese who-knows-what at a greatly inflated (/added in) price.

Agree. PSU is the source of many troubles in this world. That's why we open a dedicated forum section that more people would understand that. I also prefer not to get PSU with the board and usually ask specifically not to send them ... when sending boards for R&D or testing. I already have a substantiation stash and rarely use them.

Odroid's official (most likely made in China PSU) is a decent one.

Ameridroid have ODROID-XU4 back in stock, even though their page for them still says out of stock. I have been corresponding with them via email, they shipped all back orders last week and said they should have (at that time) like 70 more left after all orders were filled.