Rockpi 4b wont boot on buster and bionic

MEMEs

Hi there,

I'd like to point out that the armbian buster (Armbian_5.90_Rockpi-4b_Debian_buster_default_4.4.182_desktop) and armbian bionic images are not booting on the rockpi 4b at this time. 

I've tried both etcher and win32disk imager.

The armbian stretch image is booting just fine (ruling out SD and usb-C power issues i guess ?)

I've searched the forum and have not found a mention of his, therefore I'd like to do this now.

I unfortunatly don't know how to record boot messages at this time. If anyone is able to provide a quide to this I'd be happy to record the messages. The guides I've found so far are unfortunatly very confusing to me.

The only information I'm able to provide at this time is that im seeing the green light of the rockpi combined with two quick red flashes.

Just out of interest, are these most likely issues from the implementation of the new debian buster version (and will thus most likely be solved quickly ?) or is this a broader issue with the rockpi RK3399?

I know no one can't answer these questions due to the lack of data, but I'd like to know what your engineering intuition sais.

Thank you.

I've downloaded the 'Armbian_5.90_Rockpi-4b_Debian_buster_default_4.4.182_desktop' image. It worked fine, i did a sudo apt-get update and sudo apt-get upgrade, it finised (last line was converting to uboot)

Then i rebooted and now it wont start.

Hope this helps.

And also, the update command gave some error, but i think this was due to the fact of the new debian version.

I'll try to do it again  without the upgrade action (since you did not mention this)

8 minutes ago, MEMEs said:

Then i rebooted and now it wont start.

Hope this helps.

Desktop doesn't start or board? Yes, it helps.

On 7/12/2019 at 9:07 PM, Igor said:

Try boot previous images and make an update, reboot. update boot loader from armbian-config -> system and reboot. Then report how it went.

https://dl.armbian.com/rockpi-4b/archive/

did that:

image: Armbian_5.90_Rockpi-4b_Debian_stretch_default_4.4.182_desktop

sudo apt-get update

sudo reboot

sudo armbian-config -> update bootloader successfull (went very fast ?)

sodo reboot

now it won't boot, no video, just the flashing of the red led twice.

So i guess something is wrong with the bootloader ?

6 minutes ago, MEMEs said:

image: Armbian_5.90_Rockpi-4b_Debian_stretch_default_4.4.182_desktop

sudo apt-get update

sudo reboot

sudo armbian-config -> update bootloader successfull (went very fast ?)

sodo reboot

That is a different story and not that critical. Updating boot loader was can result in such situation and that's why you need to choose that manually ... and be prepared that the board will not boot after.

BTW: sudo apt-get upgrade upgrades packages after sudo apt-get update update indexes.

Thanx for the reply.

So I can run buster when i use the old bootloader ?

I do know the difference between update and upgrade, you just stated i should do an update, not an update and upgrade.

How should i change the bootloader from the buster image without updateing the bootloader then ?

Thank you.

'apt update' only updates the local package list (repository) and tells you, if there are updated packages.

'apt upgrade' then does actually upgrade the packages

so apt update / apt upgrade will mostly be used together in this order.

If the current bootloader is broken, use the old one. No need to update if it works. 

You can still update/upgrade everything else. Just don't do armbian-config -> update bootloader. Or if you want  to test, at least backup your sdcard or whatever beforehand. 

As a general rule of thumb, if it updates automatically (via apt update/upgrade) it is safe to use in production. If you need to go via armbian-config (and do it manually) so for example switching kernels or updating the bootloader it might be unsafe, and you should probably backup your installation beforehand.

3 minutes ago, MEMEs said:

Or does this also update the bootloader ?

Buster images were just rebuilt .. try and forget about u-boot loader updating - it is manual update only. Don't touch it. You don't need that and all those boards are still fresh in term of support so bugs are here and there. Buster is also very very new and bugs are there as well. Bugs + bugs. Be happy that it boots ;) 

@Igor Buster still the same no HDMi but can connect via serial console

Just going to try the older image

{EDIT] Actually ignore me might be OK just downloaded stretch same.

The HDMI of late has been a bit funny flshing at times unplugged and replugged hdmi and now on screen.
Dunno why as its just started happening and becoming more often irrespective of image.