Armbian for the orange PI PC2 gives nothing, tried the raspbian image and it boots

ch3510

no led, no output, tried it with 3 different 16gb class 10 sandisk sd cards, previous versions works fine, and i also tried the download from torrents and the direct downloads, still nothing

3 hours ago, ch3510 said:

no led, no output, tried it with 3 different 16gb class 10 sandisk sd cards, previous versions works fine, and i also tried the download from torrents and the direct downloads, still nothing

Which images did you try?  Did you use a stable image from the downloads page?

5 hours ago, ch3510 said:

previous versions works fine

U-boot, where some tiny changes, can make a difference is different. This still doesn't explain anything ... can you get some serial console logs?

1 hour ago, Igor said:

U-boot, where some tiny changes, can make a difference is different. This still doesn't explain anything ... can you get some serial console logs?

how do you do that? im a noob, and it's running ubuntu right now

4 minutes ago, ch3510 said:

i think i'm gonna need to invest in that, probably also useful for future troubleshooting

The USB-TTL dongles are so cheap, I've more then 15 of them, this avoid me to unplug one when needed somewhere else, most of my boards have one dedicated to them ... :)

58 minutes ago, ch3510 said:

i'm still confused why the armbian wont boot

Likewise. But since it works for us and doesn't for you its even more interesting. Serial console might give some insights. In the mean time check https://docs.armbian.com/User-Guide_Getting-Started/ once again if you made some fundamental error, like forgetting to unpack 7z file, not using Etcher for burning SD card. Check/change power supply.

14 hours ago, Igor said:

Likewise. But since it works for us and doesn't for you its even more interesting. Serial console might give some insights. In the mean time check https://docs.armbian.com/User-Guide_Getting-Started/ once again if you made some fundamental error, like forgetting to unpack 7z file, not using Etcher for burning SD card. Check/change power supply.

i tried etcher 2 different PCs and even win32diskimager, none of them work sadly, but ubuntu works fine so i don't think it's the PSU, i've even redownloaded the image file twice on two different PCs with three different SD cards and it still doesnt work,  and the weird thing is that on the ubuntu image when i flash it to the sd card there is a partition called BOOT, while the armbian image doesnt have any

2 minutes ago, ch3510 said:

and the weird thing is that on the ubuntu image when i flash it to the sd card there is a partition called BOOT, while the armbian image doesnt have any

That's not an issue. Armbian does not have FAT boot partition. 

Well, we need to see serial output to say more.

21 hours ago, Igor said:

I booted here Armbian_5.91_Orangepipc2_Debian_buster_dev_5.2.0

which - I think - should have the latest u-boot changes (u-boot 4.2019) and it worked beside of a "small" probem of the network-manager fine :)

armbianmonitor -u
System diagnosis information will now be uploaded to http://ix.io/1Olc

root@192.168.6.95's password:
  ___  ____  _   ____   ____ ____
 / _ \|  _ \(_) |  _ \ / ___|___ \
| | | | |_) | | | |_) | |     __) |
| |_| |  __/| | |  __/| |___ / __/
 \___/|_|   |_| |_|    \____|_____|

Welcome to Debian Buster with Armbian Linux 5.2.0-sunxi64
package bsp-kernel[5.91] u-boot[5.91] dtb[5.91] firmware[5.91] config[5.91]

System load:   0.22 0.06 0.02   Up time:       0 min
Memory usage:  9 % of 959MB     IP:            192.168.6.95
CPU temp:      54°C
Usage of /:    9% of 15G

[ General system configuration (beta): armbian-config ]

Last login: Sat Jul 13 12:25:49 2019 from 192.168.6.17

root@opi-pc2(192.168.6.95):~#

5 hours ago, guidol said:

I booted here Armbian_5.91_Orangepipc2_Debian_buster_dev_5.2.0

Thanks. Can you check one specific (Debian Buster CLI) from the download section. Just to confirm it boots. U-boot should be the same version, while kernel is still 4.19.y ... 

55 minutes ago, Igor said:

Thanks. Can you check one specific (Debian Buster CLI) from the download section. Just to confirm it boots. U-boot should be the same version, while kernel is still 4.19.y ... 

@Igor it still boots like the version with kernel 5.2, but has also the same problem with the

"NetworkMananager wait online"

[FAILED] Failed to start Network Manager Wait Online.
See 'systemctl status NetworkManager-wait-online.servce' for details.

- resize filsystem was before that, that normally long in time

If you doesnt have a HDMI-monitor connected nor a serial-TTL-device - you could think it doenst boot - and after many minutes  it wouldnt be found in the network, because of the failed network-manager.

I had also to deconfigure the Network-Manager.

armbian-config doenst see eth0, so you can only configure devce lo and after that edit wit nano /etc/nework/interfaces

and rename the armbian-config configured lo-device to eth0 :(

After that the PC2 does boot without network problems via ifupdown.

login as: root
root@192.168.6.95's password:
  ___  ____  _   ____   ____ ____
 / _ \|  _ \(_) |  _ \ / ___|___ \
| | | | |_) | | | |_) | |     __) |
| |_| |  __/| | |  __/| |___ / __/
 \___/|_|   |_| |_|    \____|_____|

Welcome to Debian Buster with Armbian Linux 4.19.57-sunxi64
package bsp-kernel[5.90] u-boot[5.90] dtb[5.90] firmware[5.90] config[5.90]

System load:   0.06 0.05 0.01   Up time:       1 min            Local users:   2
Memory usage:  10 % of 961MB    IP:            192.168.6.95
CPU temp:      48°C
Usage of /:    5% of 29G

[ 0 security updates available, 19 updates total: apt upgrade ]
Last check: 2019-07-05 19:54

[ General system configuration (beta): armbian-config ]

Last login: Sat Jul 13 19:14:57 2019 from 192.168.6.17

root@opi-pc2:~#

10 minutes ago, guidol said:

with which command did you now create the new rootfs and with which options did you compile? ;)

sudo rm -rf cache/rootfs/buster-cli*
sudo ./compile.sh EXPERT=yes BETA=yes BOARD=orangepipc2 BRANCH=next RELEASE=buster BUILD_DESKTOP=no KERNEL_ONLY=no KERNEL_CONFIGURE=no EXTERNAL=yes CLEVEL_LEVEL=cache USE_TORRENT=no ROOT_FS_CREATE_ONLY=FORCE
sudo ./compile.sh EXPERT=yes BETA=yes BOARD=orangepipc2 BRANCH=next RELEASE=buster BUILD_DESKTOP=no KERNEL_ONLY=no KERNEL_CONFIGURE=no EXTERNAL=yes

1 hour ago, lanefu said:

sudo rm -rf cache/rootfs/buster-cli*
sudo ./compile.sh EXPERT=yes BETA=yes BOARD=orangepipc2 BRANCH=next RELEASE=buster BUILD_DESKTOP=no KERNEL_ONLY=no KERNEL_CONFIGURE=no EXTERNAL=yes CLEVEL_LEVEL=cache USE_TORRENT=no ROOT_FS_CREATE_ONLY=FORCE
sudo ./compile.sh EXPERT=yes BETA=yes BOARD=orangepipc2 BRANCH=next RELEASE=buster BUILD_DESKTOP=no KERNEL_ONLY=no KERNEL_CONFIGURE=no EXTERNAL=yes

I did try that command for the NanoPi K1 Plus - but it isnt getting better with that NetworManager error.
You could also see the 190715 at the 5.91 armbian version :( So it should be a really new version....

NPIK1Plus_Buster_2.jpg

NPIK1Plus_Buster_1.jpg

29 minutes ago, guidol said:

did try that command for the NanoPi K1 Plus - but it isnt getting better with that NetworManager error.
You could also see the 190715 at the 5.91 armbian version :( So it should be a really new version....

Hmm . odd

try this k1 plus image

16 hours ago, lanefu said:

Hmm . odd

try this k1 plus image

Tested successfully. Your 5.2.1 kernel image hasnt the NetworkManager error, while the same build from me with the 4.19.57 kernel does have the NetworkManager error.

Is the kernel at this time only the difference or did you try something else (out of cleaning rootfs) like special compile options? Beta wasnt it, because I did use this too...

Your build show a little "problem" with the ttyGS0 - maybe because I didnt use the gadget-serial ;)

[EDIT] Did get this error ONLY at the first boot ;)

So whats the magic for the NetworkManager about your new build? :)

Welcome to Debian Buster with Armbian Linux 5.2.1-sunxi64
package bsp-kernel[5.91.190715] u-boot[5.91.190715] dtb[5.91.190715]

firmware[5.91.190715] config[5.91.190715]

BTW: the .dtb has some LED names mixed up:

# green LED
echo 'mmc0' > /sys/class/leds/nanopi:blue:status/trigger

# red LED
echo 'heartbeat' > /sys/class/leds/nanopi:green:pwr/trigger

Buster_new_build_lanefu.jpg

Tested successfully. Your 5.2.1 kernel image hasnt the NetworkManager error, while the same build from me with the 4.19.57 kernel does have the NetworkManager error.

Is the kernel at this time only the difference or did you try something else (out of cleaning rootfs) like special compile options?

Your build show a little "problem" with the ttyGS0 - maybe because I didnt use the gadget-serial

So whats the magic for the NetworkManager about your new build?

Buster_new_build_lanefu.thumb.jpg.fd2172eba50683c4a731642bd8e72670.jpg

A clean rootfs and for 5.2.1 i had a slight change to kernel that was causing bootfailures immediately after thenkernel.loaded.. id say its unrelated

https://github.com/armbian/build/pull/1458

Watch your build and make sure it doesn't download a rootfs.

Im hoping[mention=1]igor[/mention] will kick off a new build if he gets a chance and then we wont have to worry about it anymore

Nm looks like he's got a build running

https://github.com/armbian/build/issues/1457#issuecomment-511304728

1 minute ago, guidol said:

does this mean we/I shouldnt get the NetworManager error when do compile only with

If you already have a local filesystem cache it will not download new (corrected one) ...