List of Stuff

lanefu

My list of arm boards was too long to make it a tasteful signature so here's some highlights:

My List of geek Stuff

• 3xOpi Plus2e - hashi cluster servers
  • Opi Prime - main work area (screen, ssh vim, git)
  • OrangePiOne plus - hashi cluster worker
  • Le Potato - tester
  • Atomic PI - desktop
  • Tritium-h5 - tester
  • Opi PC2 - tester
  • Opi3 - tester
  • Espressobin - tester
  • Helios 4 - 2ndary NAS
  • Orange Pi R1 - tuyaconvert
  • Opi Lite - retrorangepi
  • R69 retrorange pi
  • Opi One - root cause of my SBC and Armbian addiction
  • Frankendell i7-2600 - garage computer and build box
  • Dual Xeon E5-2650 v3 - new build server
  • Synology 1815+ Primary NAS
  • Edge Router Lite - Router

Do you want to share highlights of your Arm empire?

I'll for sure forget some of them.
It all started with the Raspberry Pi2B(4 years ago now) ... and then ...

• Odroid C2                         (For 3 years my favorite. Clocked at 1.75Ghz, with 128Ghz eMMC and ram OC it's amazingly fast. Low power consumption, good video playback(low display resolution), great gaming on it. Still use it as my SBC laptop, but the VIM3'll replace it
  • Raspberry Pi3B                 (Not better than the pervious model. Dissapointed by it)
  • Raspberry Pi Zero (+ 2 x Zero W)  (was handy, had build a Pi0Camera with it and an audio recorder, got in dissuse)
  • Orange Pi+2                     (hated it, I still believed the 1.6Ghz bs, afterwards started to love it for what it is)
  • Tinker Board (x2)             (Worst buy ever, too expensive for what it's. First broke, I was so stupid to buy another one without using it much)
  • Khadas VIM2 Max           (Too slow for what it is. Otherwise a good designed board when used for what it's good)
  • Odroid XU4                     (Loved it. It was my 2nd desktop with a HDMI-hub so I could switch to it when my PC was bussy. Amazing performance and great games. But a lot of issue's too)
  • Rock64                            (a lot of issue's, nice on paper but doesn't deliver it's promises)
  • Banana Pi M2 Zero          (nice little board, runs too hot to be useful, but had a lot of fun with it)
  • NanoPC T3+                    (Love it a lot. Amazing for Blender renders, at a low power consumption. But single core performance is too low, should be default overclocked to 1.6Ghz in my opinion. It can handle it and cooling solution is sufficient)
  • Raspberry Pi 3B+            (What a garbage board. DDR2 with a ok SoC is a bad combination. Bad power delivery, not very useable)
  • NanoPi M4                      (My favorite until the VIM3 came, all-round a great board. Too bad there's a lack of Linux drivers for great gaming on it)
  • Rock Pi 4B                       (First impression was great. But that went away after a while. Many software issues. I hate that I can't reach my eMMC with the big heatsink on)
  • NanoPi DUO2                 (Still need to review it, but my first impression wasn't too good. Bad thermals, no hardware video encoding for the camera. This should be fixed by now, maybe a next video someday...)
  • Orange Pi 3                    (Ok SoC, badly designed board)
  • Pine H64 model b          (Ok SoC better designed board, it's their second try tho)
  • Odroid N2                      (Great board, amazing performance and no fan needed. But runs at 12V so I can't run it on my power banks. I use it headless with VNC to do render jobs together with the NanoPC T3+)
  • Nitrogen8M Mini           (I don't know yet, no HDMI and all proprietary connectors for everything. It is an industrial board for KIOSK's, but I'd like to see HDMI to set it up easily. It does have great audio assets, amplifier, audio in-out)

• Khadas VIM3                 (My newest favorite. What a performance for such low consumption at 5V. I've got the Basic, so much want the Pro... It's perfect to take with me to do heavy video render tasks. I love it...)
  • Raspberry Pi4B             (My biggest surprise ever. Not thinking too much of it. But it's a lot more than I thought. Performs amazing.  But still has its faults.

I think that's it. In chronological order I bought them.
The first 2 were great boards that I still use a lot. But then I bought a lot of them that never delivered what they promissed. Only the XU4 and NanoPC T3+ were great.
I started to get them for free to review starting with the NanoPi M4, and those were again very good.  Only bought the Odroid N2 after that.
Good I review SBC's, I'm saving myself a lot of money now :) I've spend enough in the past on them.

Cheers

Many of then barely used ... but always searching for the definitive SBC:

• Raspberry Pi B everything stars here. 
  • Raspberry Pi B+ : Solving many issues from the previous version.
  • Raspberry Pi A+ : Really low power consumption, this will be a good starting point to something with dual core balancing power & consumption. 
  • Raspberry Pi 2B the Good
  • Raspberry Pi 3B the Ugly
  • Raspberry Pi Zero :  Main Kodi OSMC board, really, I don't need more.
  • Raspberry Pi Zero W : Used as a CCTV.
  • Raspberry Pi 3B+ the Bad
  • ODROID-U3 : The best SBC I have with eMMC and 2GB. But today without updates from hardkernel.
  • ODROID-C1 : Many problems before C1+ arrive ... good board but not better than U3.
  • UG802 RK3066 : Reconverted Android TV with Picuntu, used on a weekly basis sharing more than 1000 small torrents and waiting for a death that never arrives.
  • Banana Pi PRO : main home NAS with last armbian and OMV, Plex and Torrents. SATA & Gigabit marks the difference.
  • Orange Pi One : When I know this board has armbian support I decided to buy only because is cheap and not hopping so much ... but is a really good board for the price.
  • Orange Pi Lite : After having OPi One I want to try this with Wi-Fi and more USB. Used with Lakka as Retrogame platform.
  • Orange Pi PC : Looking for a substitute or back-up of my Banana Pi PRO or the Lakka. Good CPU performance but never used a lot.
  • Orange Pi PC2 : Again looking for a second NAS board. Good performance and net bandwidth. With SSD and UASP can be a good and cheap board to be used as NAS or light server.
  • Beelink X2 : after the success, in my opinion, I'm always searching for good Android TV box to be converted in a cheap Linux PC. This was a good one, difficult to have the Wi-Fi up and running in the beginning. This board shows me also the TV box root problem: same name but different hardware (Wi-Fi, NAND, eMMC, RAM, ...).
  • MXQ PRO+ 4k : received to test it. Appreciate the @balbes150 effort but many boards with different hardware and I never have the Wi-Fi on my unit working (with many hours spent on this).
  • DragonBoard 410c : I wined on a raffled!!! Really good board. With the last Linaro Debian Buster it feels like a light PC but without a proper case, I can use normally.
  • NanoPi Neo2 : Another try to have a small NAS. Good board overall but the position of cables is not the better to be used as a server. Please, FriendlyCore thinks on having power, network and 1 x USB in one side.
  • Sunvell R69 : I like small boards and small TV boxes. The case of Android TV boxes is one of my main reasons to love this piece of cr*p. A pity this one is more or less good but the Wi-Fi is a real sh*t only capable of keeping SSH connexions. 
  • La Frite: last addition to the crew. Only booted once. I'm thinking in use as my new Kodi center when the OS or LibreElec will be released.
  • C.H.I.P. the $9 computer: I bought with a lot of hopes in my time and projects. I like the Chrome use to flash the board but when the company disappears I know this is the wrong approach. Good ideas in this board: the female GPIO with pinout printed, the built-in battery control, ...
  • Omega2 : is another kind of devices I only used sometimes to be a Wi-Fi Gateway. I think is a really good device for IoT projects.

• OrangePi Zero: My very first SBC. I do not really remember why I bought it but it started with DietPi. It served Pihole for my network. Then Dietpi dropped their support for OrangePi boards and Pihole dropped their support for older Debian distributions. So a new OS was needed and that is the reason I landed her and I have to tell I learned a LOT about all the things thanks to Armbian
  • OrangePi One Plus: Well the main reason were the quite interesting specifications and the low price. Even though this board (or Allwinner H6 at all) is poorly designed I am not that disappointed about it. It very rarly failed on me, worked most of the time really nice. It serves data sharing, another One Plus is for testing purpose of new images and features.
  • OrangePi One: As a nice replacement for the OrangePi Zero. Better voltage regulator and no crappy wireless onboard for the same price.Two of those I prepared with Armbian and Pihole and gave them away to friends. In the meantime I have another pair of Ones to prepare and give them away somewhen in the future as well. Kind a to spread the word about SBCs, Pihole and last but not least Armbian.
  • Well... that's it. Quite a short list but much text ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

A board I always wanted to have but did not have a chance yet is the OrangePi Zero Plus. GBe and Allwinner H5 SoC. Maybe sometime in the future...

1 hour ago, Werner said:

Two of those I prepared with Armbian and Pihole and gave them away to friends. In the meantime I have another pair of Ones to prepare and give them away somewhen in the future as well. Kind a to spread the word about SBCs, Pihole and last but not least Armbian.

That makes me think about the fact I also bought a Tinker Board for a friend with 7" display and rii i8 mini keyboard. I guess it has never been used, since he never asked how to do anything with it.
That's 3 of those horrible Tinker Boards I wasted my money on, and they're so expensive...

And also a rpi3B for my nephew with RetroPie installed and 128GB of games. No need to say he loved it. Until he got a Playstation(I don't know which number).

you guys have to many SBCs... :D

6 hours ago, Werner said:

OrangePi Zero: My very first SBC. I do not really remember why I bought it but it started with DietPi. It served Pihole for my network. Then Dietpi dropped their support for OrangePi boards and Pihole dropped their support for older Debian distributions. So a new OS was needed and that is the reason I landed her and I have to tell I learned a LOT about all the things thanks to Armbian

They dropped cause they no longer wanted to use armbian as a base for their images iirc..

Hmm the boards I remember I have..

Beagle bone the white one

beagle board xM or so, they were from the pre RPi time, I never did much with it..

opi zero, opi pc+, opi 2g-iot, opi 4g-iot, OPi 3 and OPi with H6 but no USB3 don't even remember the name.. :D

BPi m2 zero, BPI R2, BPi W2

RPi 1b (one of the first in switzerland probably...) RPi 2b, somewhere there should be a 3b, and yes I bought a 4b

RockPi 4b, somewhere there's a RK3399 TV box which I never hacked fully..

a Olimex Lime 2 (this board looks just like made by people who know what they're doing I would love to see some new boards from them.. )

and finally a Lichee Pi Zero which runs Debian stretch on a 64mb ram board without issues.. (okay.. I never gave it much workload.. but iirc there was once a python script with logging stuff running on it)..  :D

okay.. I might have also too many SBCs.. :D

ahh.. and a Tinkerboard.. they were dirt cheap here back then.. now 2 years later they're doubled the price they had in the beginnings.. :D

The most used one is still the OPi Zero.. it was cheap back then.. and for most of my work sufficient.. The RockPi crushed numbers for 14 days in a row sitting at 75-80°C without issues, I was actually surprised.. cause it was one of the self crafted early images for this board.. The tinker was fun to mess with.. but I never cared about desktop.. so actually this board didn't make much sense for me.. The BPi R2 was a rabbit hole to mess with u-boot, but I learned a lot (network is still crippled).. The W2, I don't know.. it's a strange thingie.. People here do crazy thing to hack TV boxes with the same SoC (actually a cool thread cause not much bloating, so please don't mess there :P ..).

completely forgot.. there's a HC1 as well,, but this serves as a NAS box I don't mess with, I just does what I expect from a NAS box..

17 hours ago, manuti said:

C.H.I.P. the $9 computer: I bought with a lot of hopes in my time and projects. I like the Chrome use to flash the board but when the company disappears I know this is the wrong approach. Good ideas in this board: the female GPIO with pinout printed, the built-in battery control, ...

I've got a pocket C.H.I.P. and its just such a neat device---I still haven'

t thought of a good use for it.   The Next Thing guys had a lot of style.. 

7 hours ago, Werner said:
  • OrangePi One Plus: Well the main reason were the quite interesting specifications and the low price. Even though this board (or Allwinner H6 at all) is poorly designed I am not that disappointed about it. It very rarly failed on me, worked most of the time really nice. It serves data sharing, another One Plus is for testing purpose of new images and features.
  • OrangePi One: As a nice replacement for the OrangePi Zero. Better voltage regulator and no crappy wireless onboard for the same price.Two of those I prepared with Armbian and Pihole and gave them away to friends. In the meantime I have another pair of Ones to prepare and give them away somewhen in the future as well. Kind a to spread the word about SBCs, Pihole and last but not least Armbian.

I really like both generation Opi Ones.  a lot of bang for buck.....both slighty lacking in the USB department tho... just one more port would have been great.  (OTG doesnt count)

7 hours ago, chwe said:

The W2

Do you know the HDMI-in functions under Linux?
Banana Pi people never give straight answers. I don't want to buy it to hang on my wall as most useless trophy.

Nice list :)

11 hours ago, NicoD said:

Do you know the HDMI-in functions under Linux?

no idea, and I won't test it.. I don't even own a HDMI display anymore.. :D Don't have a TV.. my buildserver is mostly headless or with DVI display for maintenance when SSH isn't possible.. Don't own a DVD player or so to feed it.. :D Really,, I don't care much about HDMI in at the moment..