[Proposal] What about boards popularity chart using both poll and telemetry?

Crossplatform Vlad

Its a just a proposal.

It would be nice to have a anonymous telemetry result that summarize boards and armbian popularity (distro, kernel, CPU from /proc/cpuinfo and memory size, board name if available)

Another board's popularity source that is also interesting is a poll about boards in use (board name, development tools)

Please star/mark this post to make it important for @Igor 

On 7/21/2019 at 10:51 AM, Crossplatform Vlad said:

a anonymous telemetry result that summarize boards and armbian popularity

I also would like to know how many boards are online and running everyday or regularly with armbian. However, if there is no interest in building a commercial support service around armbian, it doesn't make sense to invest time in a server to collect the information and such a software to send this information. Some statistic is available...

@Igor, I was looking for the statistics of the Website downloads, can you point me please?

as simple as it is... with opt-in nobody will opt for it.. cause honestly people don't change stuff on their os without a benefit and I don't like the dickmove where people have to opt-out for tracking, all sort of device tracking should always be opt-in. We have a estimated 'boardpopularty' statistic with https://dl.armbian.com/_download-stats/ and that is IMO more than enough to get an idea how popular a board is (and honestly, I would overthink my contribution to the project if we start to add such a feature to the project). Contribution to Armbian is mostly driven by personal interest and availability of the board. If we would start to base contribution on popularity of the board by users, we would have to support boards like the RPi cause on a user side they are really popular, on a devs side.... not that much.

Boards like a clearfog will never be as popular as a orangePi, simply cause it's too expensive for the average going cheap user which buys an ARM board. It simply targets a different user base. People buying a clearfog mostly do their homework first before they buy a board cause they more or less know what they need. People who buy the OPi Zero can also be driven by, what can go wrong if I buy a SBC which costs 15$ (just an example, there are tons of other cheap boards as well.. :D). For a bunch of use cases, the OPi Zero will be a perfect solution and it's overall not a bad board (as long as you don't rely on it's wifi :P ) but the higher popularity compared to the solid run doesn't mean that it's the better board. It's a different board targeting a different user base and as long as we have contributors which are willing to support both we should support both.

Please star/mark this post to make it important for @Igor 

I don't see a reason to mark it as important.

It would be nice to have a anonymous telemetry result

nice for what? What information will we gain? What's the benefit for the project? I don't see it.