How to enable RUART (S-UART) on Orange Pi 3.

probrokker

Hi, tell me please how to properly enable RUART (S-UART) on Orange Pi 3.

The Armbian Bionic build (kernel 5.1) is installed, RUART (S-UART) is enabled via raspbian-config, but does not work. What are the options?
Required to connect the UART device. UART 3 is working, RUART (S-UART) does not work.

Image: Pin (08, 10)

photo-2019-07-25-15-04-21.jpg

Edited by probrokker

1 hour ago, probrokker said:

RUART (S-UART) does not work.

There still an issue about loading "ruart" overlay from /boot/armbianEnv.txt (or armbian-config), it is doing a collision with debug uart0 on /dev/ttyS0.

The workaround is to load it dynamically instead, it will appear as /dev/ttyS2 :

mkdir /sys/kernel/config/device-tree/overlays/ruart
cat /boot/dtb/allwinner/overlay/sun50i-h6-ruart.dtbo > /sys/kernel/config/device-tree/overlays/ruart/dtbo

16 hours ago, martinayotte said:

There still an issue about loading "ruart" overlay from /boot/armbianEnv.txt (or armbian-config), it is doing a collision with debug uart0 on /dev/ttyS0.

The workaround is to load it dynamically instead, it will appear as /dev/ttyS2 :

mkdir /sys/kernel/config/device-tree/overlays/ruart
cat /boot/dtb/allwinner/overlay/sun50i-h6-ruart.dtbo > /sys/kernel/config/device-tree/overlays/ruart/dtbo

Thanks It works! 

One more question - Disconnected ruart in armbian-config and loaded dynamically. The port has earned, but when you restart orange pi, the ruart folder is not available and you need to register it. How can I automate the process of adding?

5 hours ago, probrokker said:

How can I automate the process of adding?

You can add those two above lines in /etc/rc.local (before the "exit 0;"), they will be executed at the end of every reboot, just before login prompt.