[RFC] New Naming Convention for Kernel Source Trees

lanefu

16 minutes ago, Igor said:

The question is shell we now/today move sunxi64-dev with 5.3.y under arm64-current common branch ... which is IMO better than 4.19 on most of Allwinner arm64 hw.

Most probably, because DEV will then be switched to 5.4.y soon ...

EDIT: BTW, I've just create a new 5.3 tag, in case I'm starting working on 5.4.y ...

Now there are two merge requests. 2nd shell be merged to 1st, tested and then 1st (branch arm64) to master. When checked.

https://github.com/armbian/build/pull/1586

https://github.com/armbian/build/pull/1587

I leave this separate for better visibility.

Now we get additional branch "current" which has to be enabled elsewhere. 

After this gets tested & merged legacy cleaning party?

New naming convention is getting to its final stage of development. Beside name I also RFC packaging patch which had hard coded dev/next values inside so it was a must to deal with.

Since we have new package naming and we will need to create some upgrade automatism in any case ... shell we change to more logical/proper versioning too? We had debate over but can't find it. Was it on Github? @lanefu New thread for that?

7 hours ago, Igor said:

New naming convention is getting to its final stage of development. Beside name I also RFC packaging patch which had hard coded dev/next values inside so it was a must to deal with.

Since we have new package naming and we will need to create some upgrade automatism in any case ... shell we change to more logical/proper versioning too? We had debate over but can't find it. Was it on Github? @lanefu New thread for that?

New thread here! 

I'll add more to original post as old information is found....  Can't think clearly right now.