Nanopi M4 on-board bluetooth not found

Jerry Jyrer

Anyone gets Nanopo M4 on-board bluetooth working. Any pointer would be appreciated.

Here are what I did: 

-  install Bluetooth component from armbian-config

$ sudo service bluetooth status

● bluetooth.service - Bluetooth service

Loaded: loaded (/lib/systemd/system/bluetooth.service; enabled; vendor preset: enabled)

Active: active (running) since Wed 2019-07-31 15:59:27 PDT; 9s ago

Docs: man:bluetoothd(8)

Main PID: 14661 (bluetoothd)

Tasks: 1 (limit: 4558)

Memory: 2.1M

CGroup: /system.slice/bluetooth.service

└─14661 /usr/lib/bluetooth/bluetoothd

Jul 31 15:59:27 nanopim4 systemd[1]: Starting Bluetooth service...

Jul 31 15:59:27 nanopim4 bluetoothd[14661]: Bluetooth daemon 5.50

Jul 31 15:59:27 nanopim4 systemd[1]: Started Bluetooth service.

Jul 31 15:59:27 nanopim4 bluetoothd[14661]: Starting SDP server

Jul 31 15:59:27 nanopim4 bluetoothd[14661]: kernel lacks bnep-protocol support

Jul 31 15:59:27 nanopim4 bluetoothd[14661]: System does not support network plugin

Jul 31 15:59:27 nanopim4 bluetoothd[14661]: Bluetooth management interface 1.10 initialized

$ sudo hcitool dev

Devices:

$ sudo rfkill list

0: bt_default: Bluetooth

Soft blocked: no

Hard blocked: no

1: phy0: Wireless LAN

2: brcmfmac-wifi: Wireless LAN

$ uname -a

Linux nanopim4 4.4.179-rk3399 #1 SMP Thu Jun 27 23:31:19 CEST 2019 aarch64 GNU/Linux

$ cat /etc/os-release 

PRETTY_NAME="Debian GNU/Linux 10 (buster)"

NAME="Debian GNU/Linux"

VERSION_ID="10"

VERSION="10 (buster)"

VERSION_CODENAME=buster

ID=debian

HOME_URL="https://www.debian.org/"

SUPPORT_URL="https://www.debian.org/support"

BUG_REPORT_URL="https://bugs.debian.org/"

One more, in case it might help:

$ sudo dmesg | grep blue

[    3.016666] of_get_named_gpiod_flags: parsed 'uart_rts_gpios' property of node '/wireless-bluetooth[0]' - status (0)

[    3.016670] [BT_RFKILL]: bluetooth_platdata_parse_dt: get property: uart_rts_gpios = 83.

[    3.016675] of_get_named_gpiod_flags: can't parse 'BT,power_gpio' property of node '/wireless-bluetooth[0]'

[    3.016686] of_get_named_gpiod_flags: parsed 'BT,reset_gpio' property of node '/wireless-bluetooth[0]' - status (0)

[    3.016689] [BT_RFKILL]: bluetooth_platdata_parse_dt: get property: BT,reset_gpio = 9.

[    3.016700] of_get_named_gpiod_flags: parsed 'BT,wake_gpio' property of node '/wireless-bluetooth[0]' - status (0)

[    3.016703] [BT_RFKILL]: bluetooth_platdata_parse_dt: get property: BT,wake_gpio = 90.

[    3.016713] of_get_named_gpiod_flags: parsed 'BT,wake_host_irq' property of node '/wireless-bluetooth[0]' - status (0)

[    3.016716] [BT_RFKILL]: bluetooth_platdata_parse_dt: get property: BT,wake_host_irq = 4.

I used (Bionic) image from the download section and I could navigate KODI via Bluetooth enabled mouse ... Which image did you used? Have you mage some upgrade from Stretch to Buster? Where is your armbianmonitor -u (which can perhaps tell more).

48 minutes ago, Igor said:

I used (Bionic) image from the download section and I could navigate KODI via Bluetooth enabled mouse ... Which image did you used? Have you mage some upgrade from Stretch to Buster? Where is your armbianmonitor -u (which can perhaps tell more).

I think I saw Buster available on the Download page but what I did was simply change /etc/apt/sources.list and apt update & upgrade. Something similar to:

https://linuxconfig.org/how-to-upgrade-debian-9-stretch-to-debian-10-buster

somehow armbianmonitor -u returned empty string for me.

I did something similar here:

http://sprunge.us/yK0GdC

Thanks for your help.

10 hours ago, Igor said:

Simply implement this https://github.com/armbian/build/commit/1541de32b85fa81c82bb549b67a91746ae33230c#diff-fd85d58c8bb1c2923d75fd40b35d907f or start with a clean build if that will give you too much trouble.

Thanks Igor. Pretty newbie here. I changed to nightly firmware and upgrade there to 

$ uname -a

Linux nanopim4 5.1.0-rk3399 #5.91.190708 SMP Tue Jul 9 07:58:42 CEST 2019 aarch64 GNU/Linux

Things are still not working. Here is $ sudo armbianmonitor -u (it works now :))

http://ix.io/1Qi6

Thanks for your helps.

2 hours ago, Jerry Jyrer said:

Pretty newbie here

Use image from the download section and stay away from nightly / beta sections if you want that things works.

34 minutes ago, Igor said:

Use image from the download section and stay away from nightly / beta sections if you want that things works.

sir, yes sir. : ) I'll definitely try to flash the image from the download section to a new SDCard to just check if BT comes back to work and report here when I get a chance.

By the way, do you have any suggestion for me to just update the core parts in my existing system with the image from the download section? I have things setup already and its kind of painful to re-config things from a fresh install.

6 hours ago, Jerry Jyrer said:

to just update the core parts

I already told you exactly what you have to do, but can't guide in case of troubles. Also you have to remain on stock/legacy kernel. With development kernels (5.1.y) you are on your own. This recipe might work or not.

I got the bluetooth working with a fresh install from the download section to a new microSDCard.  I have rootfs installed in my external hdd. So, I did similar procedures in what nand-sata-install is doing except formatting the external hdd (rootfs). Basically, 

- setting the correct UUID and others in /boot/armbianEnv.txt

$ mkimage -C none -A arm -T script -d /boot/boot.cmd /boot/boot.scr

- setting the correct UUID and mount locations in /etc/fstab

The system boots fine. Other things seem to be working okay. BUT the bluetooth is not working : (

Here is $ sudo armbianmonitor -u

http://ix.io/1Qkq

Helps are appreciated. 

1 hour ago, Igor said:

I already told you exactly what you have to do, but can't guide in case of troubles. Also you have to remain on stock/legacy kernel. With development kernels (5.1.y) you are on your own. This recipe might work or not.

Thank you Igor. I finally got it work. Basically, follow your guidance: 

$vi /lib/systemd/system/

[Unit]

Description=Bluetooth nanopi

After=bluetooth.target

[Service]

Type=forking

ExecStartPre=/bin/echo 1 > /sys/class/rfkill/rfkill0/state

ExecStart=/usr/bin/hciattach /dev/ttyS0 bcm43xx 115200 > /dev/null

TimeoutSec=0

RemainAfterExit=yes

SysVStartPriority=99

[Install]

WantedBy=multi-user.target

$ sudo systemctl --no-reload enable nanopi-bluetooth.service

$ sudo systemctl start nanopi-bluetooth.service

BT is working now. : ) 

Trying to get my generic gamepad to work is another story : (

But at least, it's connected.

Hello All,

Just quick question, I hope some of your will be able to answer. I was running Armbian Bionic on legacy kernel for a year on my NanoPi M4 (verion 1) and was able to enable the nanopi-bluetooth.service..

Now I have upgraded to Buster server with kernel 5.4 - and cannot get Bluetooth working. I guess this is my mistake to go for server image, and maybe bluetooth is not included in this image by default. 
So my question is should I go back to legacy kernel, or desktop version with 5.4 kernel will be fine, and bluetooth will work with that image. 

I run my NanoPi M4 as headless server, but still need wifi and bluetooth - so that is why I went for Buster server. I do not really want to try all the images myself, because a lot of important services are running on my SBC so I want to make this last shot right now, and choose right here (with WiFi and Bluetooth working, without graphical interface):

- go back to images based on legacy kernel

- use desktop buster image on kernel 5.4

- stay on my current image of Buster server kernel 5.4 and add Bluetooth service myself (if someone can point me into solution).

will appreciate any help here, thanks.