Banana Pi R2 - wifi hotspot - best practices

vobo70

Hello,

I have Banana Pi R2 with armbian bionic. Have two wlan cards both USB, both works. 

But earlier when I used openwrt on x86 my both wlan and lan were bridged and had one IP - which was router IP.

Here with armbian wlan hotspot get other IP than armbian itself. Is there any way to change it to bridge?
Or best practices is to leave it as is?

regards,

Maciek

For hotspots, there are 3 modes :
Bridge : Wifi IP address are in same range as your network and it's your DHCP deliver wifi IP address
Routing : Wifi IP address are not in the same range as your network, wifi IP address are deliver per the hotspot ; your network must be "informed" the range IP of wifi ( routing table )
NAT : The wifi is full managed per the hotspot ; on your network you see only connection initiated per the hotspot
Each mode have advantages and inconvenient, that depending your wifi using

2 hours ago, Charly said:

Bridge : Wifi IP address are in same range as your network and it's your DHCP deliver wifi IP address

We used to have both, but maintaining both become too much when there is little help ... I would like to see both + some basic firewall config, but don't know when :) 
https://github.com/armbian/config/blob/master/debian-config-jobs#L513

On 9/16/2019 at 7:11 PM, Igor said:

We used to have both, but maintaining both become too much when there is little help ... I would like to see both + some basic firewall config, but don't know when :) 
https://github.com/armbian/config/blob/master/debian-config-jobs#L513

I think with my firewall script it is possible to do different set of rules ( Bridge, Routing, NAT ) can be enable according to desired mode

.... first a bridge mode has to be enables back, solve problems, test, test, test implement your ruleset with possible adjustments and test, test, test.

I am unable to make big changes ATM. Can only review at best.

Wrote on mobile

Does anyone know or tested if this WiFi card Compex WLE600VX  Mini PCIe Module QCA9882 802.11AC 867Mbps can use used on the Banana Pi R2 device ?

Here on the Armbian page for BananaPi R2 https://www.armbian.com/bananapi-r2/ I see an image with this card inserted into the mPCIE slot but I do not find any other information related to it.

1 hour ago, Cioby said:

Does anyone know or tested if this WiFi card Compex WLE600VX  Mini PCIe Module QCA9882 802.11AC 867Mbps can use used on the Banana Pi R2 device ?

I tested it. It worked - on our images which are sadly not supported for this board. No time / resources to proceed. If wireless module doesn't show up, you only need to install firmware, probably

apt install armbian-firmware-full

will do.