Orangepi+2e: Packages installed 100%, but won't take me to GUI desktop

choka

From the armbian page, i downloaded and installed the...

Armbian Stretch
mainline based kernel 4.19.y

Server or light desktop usage scenarios.

High level of software maturity

...for my orangpiplus2e. I was able to create the login and password and get sudo powers. But the screen does not go to the GUI, it just stays at the CL. I log in to the 'tty1' login with u and p. I get the "general system configuration beta: armbian-config]. After that it says "host@server: ~$

I don't know what to do next, if anything, or if it is supposed to automatically take me to the GUI desktop.

It does not seem to be connected to the internet, if it is supposed to be. If I try to update or upgrade, it says 'unable to locate package'.

Thx.

Edited by choka

29 minutes ago, choka said:

Server or light desktop usage scenarios.

I see we only have server versions for download ... well, proceed this way:

armbian-config -> system -> enable desktop

Yes, thank you. I did armbian-config in sudo and it said i have no internet and can not continue. I restarted and will try again once all the proper lights on the boards are flashing (takes a few minutes). If no internet, any ideas as to why? Thx.

It took me to 'armbian-conifg' where it has "system; network; personal; software; help. I changed the timezone, then activated thru network, both wifi and wired, or so it seems ("deactivated" available for both), There were 2 choices for the desktop, I did default. It installed 100% of the packages, now that the wired and wireless is activated, but afterwards, took ; me back to the System Settings box. According to the video, after the packages installed, it should have taken me to the GUI desktop, but didn't.

• choka changed the title to Orangepi+2e: Packages installed 100%, but won't take me to GUI desktop

Thanks. Is there a command line command I can use to check the validity of the download? I know ubuntu has something like 'echo xxxxxxxxxxxx........' and if good, it will say "ok".

41 minutes ago, choka said:

Is there a command line command I can use to check the validity of the download?

Inside the Debian_buster_next_desktop.7z, there is not only the image itself but also the sha256sum.sha .

Doing sha256sum of the image extracted on your side should match the same signature found the one included in the sha256sum.sha text file.

Thanks Martin & Igor. I started with the docs.armbian, for starters, and this is what i keep getting. I opened the terminal in the same directory as the download.

sudo gpg --keyserver pgp.mit.edu --recv-key DF00FAF1C577104B50BF1D0093D6889F9F0E78D5
gpg: WARNING: unsafe ownership on homedir '/home/choka/.gnupg'
gpg: keyserver receive failed: No data

# gpg --keyserver pgp.mit.edu --recv-key DF00FAF1C577104B50BF1D0093D6889F9F0E78D5
gpg: WARNING: unsafe ownership on homedir '/home/choka/.gnupg'
gpg: keyserver receive failed: No data

For download 'integrity':

/media/choka/PHILIPS UFD/Armbian_5.93_Orangepiplus2e_Debian_buster_next_4.19.64_desktop$

shasum -a 256 -c sha256.sum.sha Armbian_*.img
shasum: sha256.sum.sha: No such file or directory

On 8/5/2019 at 7:13 PM, martinayotte said:

Inside the Debian_buster_next_desktop.7z, there is not only the image itself but also the sha256sum.sha .

Doing sha256sum of the image extracted on your side should match the same signature found the one included in the sha256sum.sha text file.

Thanks. I see the "text" file for the sha256. What do I compare that against? I tried following the info in the link, but did not have any success. If not in the text file itself, where is the "images hash"? Thx.

44 minutes ago, choka said:

What do I compare that against?

(1st you need sha256sum tool on your computer)

Example: Compare numbers in output of:

sha256sum -b Armbian_5.89_Teres-a64_Debian_buster_dev_5.1.7_desktop.img 

with the content of

cat Armbian_5.89_Teres-a64_Debian_buster_dev_5.1.7_desktop.img.sha

On 8/20/2019 at 1:35 PM, Igor said:

(1st you need sha256sum tool on your computer)

Example: Compare numbers in output of:

sha256sum -b Armbian_5.89_Teres-a64_Debian_buster_dev_5.1.7_desktop.img 

with the content of

cat Armbian_5.89_Teres-a64_Debian_buster_dev_5.1.7_desktop.img.sha

Thanks, I will try it. Question: This is something I really need to know... If I check the sha256sum right after download, and everything is GOOD, and, hypothetically, I leave the .img on my computer, and it gets infected with malware, and I run the same commands again, would it show that the ".img" had changed and that the sha256sum outputs do NOT match, therefore corruption? Thank you!!