[SOLVED] Nanopi Fire 3 + Armbianm 5.91 buster: network performance issue

raulfm

Question

Hello,

Recently I bought a nanopi fire 3 and installed armbian without any issue (Armbian_5.91_Nanopifire3_Debian_buster_next_4.14.133).  The first thing I did was to connect the nanopi to my ADSL router in order to complete the basic configuration. Everything worked fine.

Then I connected the nanopi to an Edimax gigabit ethernet switch and here is where the network problems appeared. The ethernet connection was too slow, with ping times of more than 1000ms, and an unstable behavior that made it almost impossible to connect via ssh.

64 bytes from 192.168.22.12: icmp_seq=1 ttl=64 time=1004 ms
64 bytes from 192.168.22.12: icmp_seq=2 ttl=64 time=1025 ms
64 bytes from 192.168.22.12: icmp_seq=3 ttl=64 time=1001 ms
64 bytes from 192.168.22.12: icmp_seq=4 ttl=64 time=1002 ms

After many reconfigurations and reinstalls, I tried forcing the ethernet interface to work at 100Mbps, and it solved the network slugginess and unstability.

ethtool -s eth0 speed 100 autoneg off

Other devices connected to the same switch work fine at 1Gbps. 

Although with this workaround I can work for now, I still want to use my nanopi at full speed if possible. Anybody has any idea of how can I solve it?

3 answers to this question

3 hours ago, raulfm said:

Although with this workaround I can work for now, I still want to use my nanopi at full speed if possible. Anybody has any idea of how can I solve it?

sounds like bad ethernet cable or switch port

Hello again and thanks for the answer.

At first I discarded a problem with the cables or network switch as I tried with other devices and it looked like they were running fine.

But I'm not sure as I am not an expert in networking. I will try again with another ethernet cable and a different network switch.