0
ballsystemlord

research Rock Pi S, RK3308 CPU, is it supported by anything?

Recommended Posts

Recently, a new SBC, the Rock Pi S by Radxa, was launched.

Here's it's wiki page: https://wiki.radxa.com/RockpiS

It's a 4 core A35 design. I'm debating getting one, but I can't find any information anywhere as to whether or not it's supported on Linux, or Armbian. Of course, if it's not listed in the download section it's not supported, but there's a difference between, "I need to add 100 lines of code and it will work." to "Geez, I need to redesign most of the Linux kernel after pulling my hair out."

I did search the sunxi wiki and the local armbian wiki without success.

Anyone know anything?

Thanks!

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Un the page you linked, there is a download of a Debian Stretch image. It looks like the official Rockchip Linaro image. I haven't tested that particular board because I don't have it, but at least you know that you have a working image to start from.

 

Since Armbian supports already other Rockchip SoC's, there are good chances that you can make Armbian work in the board, if you know what you are doing, with a config based on some of the supported RK boards. But I cannot guarantee how hard it will be.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, ballsystemlord said:

the sunxi wiki

is aimed at ALLWINNER SoC, not the ones from Rockchip

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 8/10/2019 at 2:41 AM, JMCC said:

On the page you linked, there is a download of a Debian Stretch image. It looks like the official Rockchip Linaro image. I haven't tested that particular board because I don't have it, but at least you know that you have a working image to start from.

 

Since Armbian supports already other Rockchip SoC's, there are good chances that you can make Armbian work in the board, if you know what you are doing, with a config based on some of the supported RK boards. But I cannot guarantee how hard it will be.

Cool, I hadn't thought to check that because I assumed, perhaps foolishly, that being a new SoC it would need a "special" kernel if it supported plain old linux.

 

On 8/10/2019 at 3:58 AM, Tido said:

is aimed at ALLWINNER SoC, not the ones from Rockchip

 

 

My bad. What's a better place for information on Rockchip SoCs?

Thanks!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
45 minutes ago, ballsystemlord said:

My bad. What's a better place for information on Rockchip SoCs?

Thanks!

http://opensource.rock-chips.com/wiki_Main_Page

mostly around px30 cause it's the most similar one.

 

48 minutes ago, ballsystemlord said:

Cool, I hadn't thought to check that because I assumed, perhaps foolishly, that being a new SoC it would need a "special" kernel if it supported plain old linux.

the kernel adjustments are likely minor, rockchip64 might be probably the best starter, for sure a bit kernelconfig adjustments are needed. maybe a few patches cause ayufans repo didn't merge everything from rockchip 4.4

 

adjustments in u-boot are for sure also needed. obviously a board, a proper dt and a bit of time to see what raxda changed in their kernelfork for this board.

On 8/10/2019 at 5:53 AM, ballsystemlord said:

Of course, if it's not listed in the download section it's not supported, but there's a difference between, "I need to add 100 lines of code and it will work." to "Geez, I need to redesign most of the Linux kernel after pulling my hair out."

well, code which you'll have to write is likely below 100 lines of code.. but figure out what you'll have to patch and merge from other kernels to ensure things work properly (on a kernel level) can still be hours of work.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
0