Another Arm Linux

theguyuk

Another flavour of Arm Linux.

FatdogArm is a port of Fatdog64 to the ARM platform. Currently in Beta release, it is based on Fatdog64 and thus shares much of Fatdog64 features. Like Fatdog64, FatdogArm is intended for desktop-style operations but on the lower-cost ARM-based systems.

FatdogArm currently was originally built on A10/Mele A1000 hardware, although it can be easilyadapted for other platforms. These days, FatdogArm is known to run is A20/Cubieboard, Odroid-U2, Odroid-U3, OLPC XO-1.75, OLPC XO-4 Touch, Pandora, Cubox-i i2, Cubox-i i4pro, and Google Nexus7 2012.

The porting process of FatdogArm (for Alpha version) is described in details here.

FatdogArm features:

• Small (less than 300MB at the moment)
  • Comes with applications for day-to-day use, such as:
  • Web browser (Seamonkey browser - which uses identical code base as Firefox)
  • Universal email client (Seamonkey Mail)
  • Versatile media player (Xine)
  • Word processing (Abiword)
  • Spreadsheet (Gnumeric)
  • PDF/PS/Djvu reader (Evince)
  • Graphics editor (mtpaint)
  • Printing system (CUPS)
  • Remote connection clients (VNC, SSH)
  • Text editor - IDE (Geany)

Wonder if this and Armbian share similar aims or ability to inspire ideas in each other? They are both Arm Linux aimed are the developers working on similiar shared problems ?  Could they share and learn from each others work?

Good, bad idea?

• HTML editor (Seamonkey Composer)

I have also found a website with Alpine Linux which mentions Nanopi m1 and Orange Pi PC 

DIY Fully working Alpine Linux for Allwinner and Other ARM SOCs

THIS WORKS - TESTED

This is taken from multiple sources and is copyright of the respective authors. If you are an author of a particular section and wish to be listed please dont hesitate to contact me at oneinsect@gmail.com. I hereby declare I have absolutely no rights over this material and in due course of time, you will find proper references. No time at the moment

You can also contact me at atlury@gmail.com

https://wiki.alpinelinux.org/wiki/DIY_Fully_working_Alpine_Linux_for_Allwinner_and_Other_ARM_SOCs

Hope I am not upsetting anyone posting the info and link .. 

Also Archlinux

And Gentoo, OpenSuSE, CentOS, Fedora and maybe a few hundred other Linux distro variants that might run on armhf/arm64 hardware. What's this whole thread about?

BTW: Armbian is different. It's not just another boring Linux distro (since then you could also use the plain Debian or Ubuntu stuff) but it's an automated build system capable to use Debian/Ubuntu and the images created in the end are the result of developing this build system over the years combined with a lot of knowledge regarding 'how to do it right'.

You won't have fun with this small ARM boards if not every detail here and there matches perfectly. And that's what Igor started with and what the Armbian team still tried to provide.

Basically three parts are involved: bootloader stuff (currently that's proprietary SoC specific bootloader stuff + u-boot, later we might have to deal with UEFI on aarch64), the kernel and the rootfs containing a Linux distro. The last part is the most irrelevant/boring one, the two former are way more important. As an example: sometimes kernel stuff won't work if hardware isn't initialized correctly already by u-boot and so on. That's what Armbian is about: Doing things right. And the distro used is close to irrelevant (the Armbian build system currently also allows to replace the whole OS distro in the last step with some other armhf/arm64 Linux rootfs -- somewhat weird but it works and would in many cases provide superiour results compared to 'original ARM Linux images')

And Gentoo, OpenSuSE, CentOS, Fedora and maybe a few hundred other Linux distro variants that might run on armhf/arm64 hardware. What's this whole thread about?

BTW: Armbian is different. It's not just another boring Linux distro (since then you could also use the plain Debian or Ubuntu stuff) but it's an automated build system capable to use Debian/Ubuntu and the images created in the end are the result of developing this build system over the years combined with a lot of knowledge regarding 'how to do it right'.

You won't have fun with this small ARM boards if not every detail here and there matches perfectly. And that's what Igor started with and what the Armbian team still tried to provide.

Basically three parts are involved: bootloader stuff (currently that's proprietary SoC specific bootloader stuff + u-boot, later we might have to deal with UEFI on aarch64), the kernel and the rootfs containing a Linux distro. The last part is the most irrelevant/boring one, the two former are way more important. As an example: sometimes kernel stuff won't work if hardware isn't initialized correctly already by u-boot and so on. That's what Armbian is about: Doing things right. And the distro used is close to irrelevant (the Armbian build system currently also allows to replace the whole OS distro in the last step with some other armhf/arm64 Linux rootfs -- somewhat weird but it works and would in many cases provide superiour results compared to 'original ARM Linux images')

Non really just me going on with myself and naively wishing more projects could work together for the better community. There are software and kernal differences but they are all Arm Soc's. How many times is the wheel reinvented unintentionally, could projects share the learning curves?

I am to naive in my hopes.

I am to naive in my hopes.

No - you are just not reading and comprehending. You were asking for beginner's advice on Linux and SBCs, but instead of learning and doing you started to flood forums with unquoted googled spam and unsollicited marketing hype. Armbian is doing an excellent job in sorting out the mess and actually providing sound workable solutions.

No - you are just not reading and comprehending. You were asking for beginner's advice on Linux and SBCs, but instead of learning and doing you started to flood forums with unquoted googled spam and unsollicited marketing hype. Armbian is doing an excellent job in sorting out the mess and actually providing sound workable solutions.

That is a complete lie

I don't market or spam and I provide links to quotes I use. While yourself Rodolfo constantly attack people on here and on Orange Pi Org.

Igor has said both Orange Pi Xunlong software and Orange Pi users have been good to Armbian but all you do is post bitter posts and belittle people on Orange Pi Org.

I share my learning experience and get many thank you messages from other new usersusers, for not ignorently talking down to them, on Orange Pi Org. A forum I use because I owned a Pi One, sold to buy a Pi PC and have orderd a few Pi Lite. I believe in users helping each other not keyboard warriors attacking people and belittling people while on the internet, such folk I do it back to, let them taste their own behaviour. Some willingly forget they was new to Linux once too.