lima is almost ready for daily use!!

ning

6 hours ago, ning said:

start to integrate lima to Armbian

Just out of curiosity, why exactly did you make a new thread for the same topic, in which you were active as well ?

https://forum.armbian.com/topic/11184-hardware-graphicvideo-acceleration-in-h3-mainline/page/2/

@Igor, @lanefu isn't there some general  "@moderator" so I do not have to address a person?   (would make sens to merge this into the other thread)

I have a plan to enable lima on H3, S905X.

the facts:

1, due to mesa master branch has the patches for lima desktop, and mesa master build depends on libdrm 2.4.99, this package is in debian sid.

2, running mesa master may require xserver 1.20.  buster/cosmic/disco, that means lima may only available on this releases.

3, upstream debian still focuses on mesa 19.1.X, and build rule for 19.1.X cannot be applied to mesa master.

the plan:

1, install libdrm 2.4.99 from debian sid.

2, build/install dummy mesa packages to meet system package dependents.

3, use meson/ninja build/install mesa to /usr prefix.

do you agree this plan?

On 8/26/2019 at 7:51 PM, ning said:

I have a plan to enable lima on H3, S905X.

the facts:

1, due to mesa master branch has the patches for lima desktop, and mesa master build depends on libdrm 2.4.99, this package is in debian sid.

2, running mesa master may require xserver 1.20.  buster/cosmic/disco, that means lima may only available on this releases.

3, upstream debian still focuses on mesa 19.1.X, and build rule for 19.1.X cannot be applied to mesa master.

the plan:

1, install libdrm 2.4.99 from debian sid.

2, build/install dummy mesa packages to meet system package dependents.

3, use meson/ninja build/install mesa to /usr prefix.

do you agree this plan?

after a day's work I feel this is completely wrong. right way is armbian package repo maintainer to upgrade mesa related package to master.

and update board package to enable lima by Xorg.conf. them users can use apt upgrade to get lima enabled.

On 8/26/2019 at 1:51 PM, ning said:

buster/cosmic/disco, that means lima may only available on this releases.

buster is good enough, disco optional.

8 hours ago, ning said:

right way is armbian package repo maintainer to upgrade mesa related package to master.

Just to make sure I am following this right ... building all packages which will be made via this (once matured/tested) and upload them to repository? Then update xorg.conf file as a part of board BSP?

1 minute ago, Igor said:

buster is good enough, disco optional.

Just to make sure I am following this right ... building all packages which will be made via this (once matured/tested) and upload them to repository? Then update xorg.conf file as a part of board BSP?

have you tested this PR? I don't think you can follow it.  if you insist, it also fine. currently I'm thinking about update upstream's mesa packaging rules, to repack all mesa debs.

9 minutes ago, ning said:

have you tested this PR? I don't think you can follow it.  if you insist, it also fine. currently I'm thinking about update upstream's mesa packaging rules, to repack all mesa debs.

No, too busy. Just trying to keep up.

7 minutes ago, ning said:

just check the PPA build log for AArch64, missing ksmro Gallium driver, so it can't be used directly.

my git is build from mesa master.

I know about this so I emailed to him so lets hope he will add it :)

it should be easy

I also asked for armhf builds

he has this ppa since 2011 :)

but I just want to say that git master mesa will be best for armbian/lima/panfrost

no, I don;t need his email. because I can build it myself, but if Armbian doesn't want to add mesa packages to its software repository, for debian users, only way is to use my build, but I can't update them so frequently.

9 hours ago, ning said:

I found this, but can't find any useful info. do you have something useful?

I didn't test git master on any device

But what I am reading they only support mali midgard 

And only one stable hw Mali-T860

https://www.collabora.com/news-and-blog/blog/2019/08/06/rockpi-panfrost-wayland/

They wrote on IRC that they will try to stabilize other midgard gpus in coming month

lima & panfrost driver (mesa) has been pushed to beta.armbian.com, if you already use beta image or use beta armbian software repo, please just update.

if not please add armbian beta software repo, and update.

newer version (19.3-develop) mesa will be installed.

you need to follow https://gitlab.freedesktop.org/lima/web#xorgconf

to configure your Xserver.

then enjor your mali GPU.

notice this is only for debian 10 (buster), if you are using old version debian, it's not supported, if you using ubuntu, please go:  https://launchpad.net/~oibaf/+archive/ubuntu/graphics-drivers

any issues about my build, please comment here. if not configure Xserver, then no impacket to your system. if you are using wayland, I don't have the knowledge.

I will update these packages bi-weekly.

if there are someonr use it, and lima goes more stable, I will try to submit it to stable.

@Igor is it OK? BTW, I only enable mali GPU driver (lima/panfrost) any other GPU is used by supported SOCs?

1 hour ago, ning said:

is it OK?

Yes. After this gets stable it can go to the desktop builds by default. I am preparing build script that this will be as simple as possible.

1 hour ago, ning said:

any other GPU is used by supported SOCs?

vivante / imx6 ? Probably just works, but needs to be checked.