Boot from usb sopine64 based board using SPI-NOR

gkkpch

The Volumio team is currently investigating whether our sopine64 based motivo board (https://volumio.org/epic-journey-called-volumio-motivo/) could boot from usb using SPI flash.

I'm aware of the sunxi SPI developments in u-boot and mainline kernel, and that we theoretically should be able to flash the SPI-NOR chip with the correct u-boot version using FEL mode.

I also read that armbian has been prepared for booting from usb (as @martinayotte mentioned in other places).

My question is, did anyone actually do anything in this direction, is there something I could help testing with?

I know how to compile u-boot as I've done this with armbian's u-boot version 2019-04 which works fine with our motivo board.

I must admit i'm not skilled enough to get this done on my own, any help or pointer in the right direction would be very much appreciated.

Cheers - Gé

14 hours ago, gkkpch said:

I also read that armbian has been prepared for booting from usb (as @martinayotte mentioned in other places).

You need to create a patch that will add the following to "configs/pine64_plus_defconfig" :

CONFIG_SPL_SPI_FLASH_SUPPORT=y