I started to play with lima(mesa mali drivers) on Odroid C2

with ubuntu 19.04 with kernel 5.3. rc6 with lima enabled

I add latest mesa drivers from 

https://launchpad.net/~oibaf/+archive/ubuntu/graphics-drivers

there are only arm64 packages

But there is problem on amlogic platform with order of dri/card* 

as dri/card0 point to lima

and dri/card1 point to mesa drm driver :(

but most software don't have options to set it up and they expect drm driver on card0 

so there is problem in weston 5 for example 

https://lists.freedesktop.org/archives/wayland-devel/2018-September/039446.html

but weston 4 and 6(https://packages.debian.org/sid/weston) is working fine

so what is working in my case :)

I was able to start weston4 like weston --drm-device=card1

then weston-simple-egl

then glmark2-wayland

so good luck with lima and panfrost

it will be nice to test panfrost on odroid xu4 :)

It will be nice to have simple options to enable lima/panfrost on armbian what do you think?

It should be metter of enabling LIMA in kernel configs

and add install mesa from oibaf ppa

I asked him about armhf build be he talk about small amount of users :)

lima gitlab issues

https://gitlab.freedesktop.org/lima/mesa/issues

@m][skodo you have any personal feelings about the performence of lima?

what I feel is lima just works, far worse than fbdev.

It's about 10°C higher, UI lags with multiwindow or window drag, and some bugs: UI freeze with GPU pagefault, suddenly display power standby.

18 hours ago, ning said:

@m][skodo you have any personal feelings about the performence of lima?

what I feel is lima just works, far worse than fbdev.

It's about 10°C higher, UI lags with multiwindow or window drag, and some bugs: UI freeze with GPU pagefault, suddenly display power standby.

Same here :)

it is still in dev. they are aware of all unfinished stuff

7 hours ago, ning said:

another thing is cursor plane, meson drm driver still not support cursor plane, same as sunxi4-drm, while rockchip drm driver supports.

if support would have better performence.

so it is rendered in window manager 

don't see that as any problem

@ning exact, the OSD scaler is shared between the OSD1 & OSD1, but we use the scaler to update automatically the field when in interlace mode, if we wanted to enable OSD2 we should switch the field manually in the vsync irq. It's doable but I don't plan on doing it

For A311D, Amlogic did a brand new blender module for OSD and VD planes, but I don't have the exact capabilities of the blender and the number of available scalers, when I'll have the info, I may expose more OSD planes and eventually a Cursor plane.

Hi, i'm using a Le Potato (s905x) and i don't know if someone is interested, but after the 5.4.35 kernel update i have tried again the lima driver and some real application (not tests or benchmarks) start to work. Gnome and wayfire ( https://github.com/WayfireWM/wayfire ) work(maybe some other wayland based desktop environment may work). Even with some minor gliches and some crashes (that i don't know if it is caused by the driver or the desktop environment), it is working pretty well. On the same configuration does not work Weston and every Xorg based desktop enviroment. To get xorg based desktop environment to work i have to disable lima (so using meson drm driver) or force, on xorg conf, to use fbdev driver (that is the default configuration). To be clear, using meson drm driver weston works.

Have good day

Hi, i am using khadas vim1 pro, i've seen a video about lima driver on youtube, there is a reply about adding oibaf ppa for installation of lima driver, i added it, installed, but now i need to edit armbian-defaults.conf file.

Does someone know how does it need to look like, if so i need help, first time i've edited it, after it i couldn't boot to desktop anymore, so i've probably done something wrong?

Nevermind, i just set acceleration from none to glamor, did test glmark2 and got a 196 score.

4 hours ago, Tommy21 said:

Hi, i am using khadas vim1 pro, i've seen a video about lima driver on youtube, there is a reply about adding oibaf ppa for installation of lima driver, i added it, installed, but now i need to edit armbian-defaults.conf file.

Does someone know how does it need to look like, if so i need help, first time i've edited it, after it i couldn't boot to desktop anymore, so i've probably done something wrong?

Nevermind, i just set acceleration from none to glamor, did test glmark2 and got a 196 score.

Hi, I have an odroid c2, 

I allways have used the HK ubuntu image, but I'm thinking trying to use armbian with the lima driver.

I want a full desktop, so I have some questions, does the armbian image have gnome with wayland environment ?

Where can you set acceleration (what file should I use).

Finaly, its possible to compile Kodi with lima driver (to use full acelleration)? , if is how is the kodi with lima performance?

Thanks in advance

Pedro

Something strange happened, i don't have any sound now, and chromium browser starts with blank page, it looks like a white window, with no options or anything.

I have reverted acceleration to none, chromium now starts, but sound is still not coming.

I am using armbian 20.05.03., ubuntu 20.04, kernel 5.7 rc2.

Was this video even the right way to install and run lima, or did i need to edit some other line except the one that adds acceleration?

2 hours ago, Tommy21 said:

Something strange happened, i don't have any sound now, and chromium browser starts with blank page, it looks like a white window, with no options or anything.

2 hours ago, Tommy21 said:

I am using armbian 20.05.03., ubuntu 20.04, kernel 5.7 rc2.

A bug in Chromium, Lima, ...? It happened to me yesterday on K5.4 and Allwinner H5.

It would be strage if things would work propery when using bleeding edge software :rolleyes:

3 hours ago, Tommy21 said:

but sound is still not coming.

On Kvim1 (S905x), with 5.6.x kernel if you have AIU driver, please use alsamixer to enable some switch.

and it has some issue in enable gnome wayland session, I don't know why, but gnome X session is very good, much better than I expect. Ok, this is for Debian buster, I hear someone says ubuntu 20.04 is not as good as buster.

for Hwdec on Kvim1, you need to apply below option to use MPV:

vo=gpu

opengl-pbo

hwdec=auto

thus can use lima and vdec at same time, without issue in lima. but still, you can observe issues in vdec.

it looks like players include web browsers based on gstreamer is using vdec, but due to other issue maybe in its shader, video can't play fluently.

Thank you all for your answers, judging by your answers it looks i have done everything right.

I didn't use kvim1 Armbian for a long time, i've been using it with Android, i forgot how well Linux on s905/x is supported, and there always has to be an issue with arm boards:)

[mention=3989]ning[/mention], thank you for your clarification, i will do that, that is fantastic.

One more question about Gnome (x is ok if wayland has issues) on it, do i need to perform any special steps or configuration when Mali is enabled, or is it just enough to install gnome desktop on current image (although you said it's probably better on Debian, i prefer Ubuntu)?

As i remember before, i would get an option to pick between gdm and ldm, i must choose gdm if i want to use gnome?

Is there anything else that i need to install if i want to run Gnome on kvim1?

I am not so technically skilled with all these expressions, so sometimes you need to draw me something for me to be able to understand it:), i do know a lot about technology, but Linux is still a mystery to me.

do i need to perform any special steps or configuration when Mali is enabled, or is it just enough to install gnome desktop on current image (although you said it's probably better on Debian, i prefer Ubuntu)?

As i remember before, i would get an option to pick between gdm and ldm, i must choose gdm if i want to use gnome?

you can choose any display manager. configure X for lima, please remove all X config file preinstalled, and follow https://gitlab.freedesktop.org/lima/web 

to configure X.

Is there anything else that i need to install

absolute yes, you need to install updated mesa. please search my posts.

Hi, I have an odroid c2, 
I allways have used the HK ubuntu image, but I'm thinking trying to use armbian with the lima driver.
I want a full desktop, so I have some questions, does the armbian image have gnome with wayland environment ?
Where can you set acceleration (what file should I use).
Finaly, its possible to compile Kodi with lima driver (to use full acelleration)? , if is how is the kodi with lima performance?
Thanks in advance
Pedro

Sorry, i just saw your post, but i am not the one you should need to ask, i believe a lot of your questions are answered in posts above.

About lima, i have found answers under comments of this video https://youtu.be/nuZgdatQkqo, author of the video explained where you will find conf file, in that file i just changed acceleration from none to glamor.

I can definitely tell you that Kodi 18 gui is accelerated, i didn't watch any video on it.

Chromium has an issue when using lima, firefox works ok, i do have few strange issues with ubuntu 20.04, but maybe this is an OS issue, i don't even know is this the final release of Ubuntu focal arm?

I won't suggest you things i haven't tried, so it's better to ask someone who knows better than me, but a lot of stuff was explained in recent posts.

12 minutes ago, Tommy21 said:

Sorry, i just saw your post, but i am not the one you should need to ask, i believe a lot of your questions are answered in posts above.

About lima, i have found answers under comments of this video https://youtu.be/nuZgdatQkqo, author of the video explained where you will find conf file, in that file i just changed acceleration from none to glamor.

I can definitely tell you that Kodi 18 gui is accelerated, i didn't watch any video on it.

Chromium has an issue when using lima, firefox works ok, i do have few strange issues with ubuntu 20.04, but maybe this is an OS issue, i don't even know is this the final release of Ubuntu focal arm?

I won't suggest you things i haven't tried, so it's better to ask someone who knows better than me, but a lot of stuff was explained in recent posts.

Thanks Tommy21,

You gave me the necessary input to start experince with lima.

Let me just ask one thing, you are using a vanilla ubuntu arm64 image, not using armbian bionic?

Did you install kodi from apt-get?

Thank you

Edited by dante6913
submitid without text

Thanks Tommy21,
You gave me the necessary input to start experince with lima.
Let me just ask one thing, you are using a vanilla ubuntu arm64 image, not using armbian bionic?
Did you install kodi from apt-get?

Thank you

I'm using universal balbes150 images for aml rk aw, the latest 20.05.03 Ubuntu focal, kernel 5.7 rc2, i am always using a synaptic to install software, i prefer gui.

Synaptic has a bug in Ubuntu focal for now, it won't start under start menu, i must use terminal and sudo synaptic to start.

@ning thank you, but you must be more precise, i don't know how to configure x for lima and remove all x config files preinstalled, i've been looking from the freedesktp site, but i can't find precise instructions, and i don't want to experiment because a lot of stuff is working fine on my system.

About mesa, glmark2 says 2.1 mesa 20.1.0-devel, 29.04.2020 is the date on it, so probably this is up to date?

Sorry, but i am a noob when it comes to Linux, so if you can help me out?

3 hours ago, Tommy21 said:

@ning thank you, but you must be more precise, i don't know how to configure x for lima and remove all x config files preinstalled, i've been looking from the freedesktp site, but i can't find precise instructions, and i don't want to experiment because a lot of stuff is working fine on my system.

About mesa, glmark2 says 2.1 mesa 20.1.0-devel, 29.04.2020 is the date on it, so probably this is up to date?

Sorry, but i am a noob when it comes to Linux, so if you can help me out?

X configuration files are located at /etc/X11/xorg.conf.d/ folder. On one of the files (mine is on 02-driver.conf) there are lines like:

# set fbdev as default driver.
Section "Device"
         Identifier "NOGPU"
         Driver "fbdev"
EndSection

This config force Xorg to use fbdev driver. To get lima working you should only comment these lines (adding # before each of them), or by removing the file itself. At this point, Xorg should pick lima as driver. To have a confirm, you can use the command "glxinfo" to see what opengl (tecnically glx) driver xorg is using. If it say "LLVM Pipe", it is using software opengl driver; if it say "Mesa Lima" you are using lima driver.

On my system (Le Potato, mesa 20.0.4-2, kernel 5.4.35-meson64), if i enable lima, xorg stop working. I suggest to comment the lines, so if you have some trouble you can easily uncomment the lines to re-enable the fbdev. If it is working on your system, please share your system info, so maybe i could get lima working with xorg too :rolleyes:.

For who interested, i recently tried lima with sway and work really well. Probably work better with compositors that does not require a lot of opengl features that the lima driver could not support yet.