playing with lima(mesa mali drivers)

m][sko

This config force Xorg to use fbdev driver. To get lima working you should only comment these lines (adding # before each of them), or by removing the file itself. At this point, Xorg should pick lima as driver. To have a confirm, you can use the command "glxinfo" to see what opengl (tecnically glx) driver xorg is using. If it say "LLVM Pipe", it is using software opengl driver; if it say "Mesa Lima" you are using lima driver.

On my system (Le Potato, mesa 20.0.4-2, kernel 5.4.35-meson64), if i enable lima, xorg stop working. I suggest to comment the lines, so if you have some trouble you can easily uncomment the lines to re-enable the fbdev. If it is working on your system, please share your system info, so maybe i could get lima working with xorg too default_rolleyes.gif.

For who interested, i recently tried lima with sway and work really well. Probably work better with compositors that does not require a lot of opengl features that the lima driver could not support yet.

Hi, my file looks different, look at the picture.

I have added oibaf ppa, installed mesa, set the 3d acceleration from none to glamor, that is all i have done, and that's the only conf file in the folder.

Glmark2 says that i have 2.1 mesa 20.1.0-devel, gl renderer mali 450, gl vendor lima, so it looks like it is already using lima?

That is one of the reasons i asked, first time i have set acceleration to glamor, glmark2 reported it was no longer using llvm pipe?

I will check with glxinfo just in case, but i don't see a reason why it should report anything else.

13 hours ago, Tommy21 said:

I needed to send it complete the first time, sorry.

IMG_20200429_213611.thumb.jpg.6f29b8f45c9f42b6ee8240396c083b51.jpg

I've run glxinfo, same as glmark2, mali450 mesa.

Yes, if glxinfo or glmark2 says "mali450", you are already using it. Our config are different maybe because we are on different platforms? Maybe the default xorg config could be different on different platforms to fix "hardware quirks".

I did try Debian buster 5.7 image last night, it looks like there is a big difference with these two distros, i must say it works better than Ubuntu, i can really feel that it is accelerated.

When you move app windows, there is no app drawing over the desktop, desktop really feels smooth, don't know if i used the right words, i am not so good with english technical terms.

Maybe i am missing something, or maybe there is something else that needs to be configured, but in those few minutes of testing, it's a big difference.

@UniformBuffer, yeah, i was pretty sure that it will look the same, unfortunately that isn't the case.

But thanks anyway for helping!

On 4/30/2020 at 5:41 PM, Tommy21 said:

I did try Debian buster 5.7 image last night, it looks like there is a big difference with these two distros, i must say it works better than Ubuntu, i can really feel that it is accelerated.

When you move app windows, there is no app drawing over the desktop, desktop really feels smooth, don't know if i used the right words, i am not so good with english technical terms.

Maybe i am missing something, or maybe there is something else that needs to be configured, but in those few minutes of testing, it's a big difference.

@UniformBuffer, yeah, i was pretty sure that it will look the same, unfortunately that isn't the case.

But thanks anyway for helping!

Could you please tell me where I can download the image? I am using the bionic 5.6.2 image downloaded from https://yadi.sk/d/_rQgn_FosYuW0g/20.05.1/20200408 . I have upgraded Mesa to version 20.2.0-devel and changed acceleration from "none" to "glamor". But the glmark2 says "llvmpipe (LLVM 9.0.1, 128 bits)". So it is not using lima driver, and the score of glmark2 is only 40. Could you please tell what mistake I have made?

On my c2 with an emmc

Installed armbian ubuntu after trying debian with a desktop (I couldn't figure how to install updated mesa driver)

edit xorg for running lima, glmark2 runs fine and says I have lima  score 154 but x sometimes crashes

I can't install supertuxkart I allways get

The following packages have unmet dependencies:
 supertuxkart : Depends: supertuxkart-data (= 1.0-1~oibaf~b) but it is not going to be installed
E: Unable to correct problems, you have held broken packages.

I wasn't able to run mpv I allways get segmentation fault even before I install the new mesa or  edit the xorg to run with lima

Ok, mpv works, I was having segmentation fault because I was playing from a ssh session, no hardware acelleration as expected, lima doesn't do video decoding. 

If I understand right, I should have a kernel with vdec meson driver, for hardware video decoding, and armbian bionic image for C2 isn't compile with it?

Edited by dante6913

On 5/1/2020 at 9:18 PM, xwfunny said:

Could you please tell me where I can download the image? I am using the bionic 5.6.2 image downloaded from https://yadi.sk/d/_rQgn_FosYuW0g/20.05.1/20200408 . I have upgraded Mesa to version 20.2.0-devel and changed acceleration from "none" to "glamor". But the glmark2 says "llvmpipe (LLVM 9.0.1, 128 bits)". So it is not using lima driver, and the score of glmark2 is only 40. Could you please tell what mistake I have made?

I find out the problem. Because I use remote desktop. If I use a monitor, every thing woks well. 

I find out the problem. Because I use remote desktop. If I use a monitor, every thing woks well. 

Yeah, on Bionic all should run well, i also switched back to Bionic, Focal still has some bugs that annoy me.

Chromium on Lima doesn't work, but lima dev helped me with solution, add this line on chromium command line --use-gl=egl., it's not a real solution, but at least you can run chromium.

One more thing, is it possible for app window not to draw over desktop when moving it, can i do something about it without disabling lima driver?

Nevermind, i figured it out, display compositing was disabled, now it's quite smooth, this is now a really nice lightweight desktop.

On 5/3/2020 at 6:03 PM, Tommy21 said:

Yeah, on Bionic all should run well, i also switched back to Bionic, Focal still has some bugs that annoy me.

Chromium on Lima doesn't work, but lima dev helped me with solution, add this line on chromium command line --use-gl=egl., it's not a real solution, but at least you can run chromium.

Thank you for your information. It works.

On 4/29/2020 at 9:32 PM, Tommy21 said:

I needed to send it complete the first time, sorry.

IMG_20200429_213611.thumb.jpg.6f29b8f45c9f42b6ee8240396c083b51.jpg

I've run glxinfo, same as glmark2, mali450 mesa.

I tried to apply your same configuration regarding device, server flags and output class to my xorg config to see if could work and.... it did! After some research on the wiki page of lima, the developers says explicitly that lima runs on xorg using modesetting and glamor, so that explain why my xorg does not start. Anyway the performance are not very good, that is normal, it is experimental, but i have noticed that using Sway (a wayland compositor) in XWayland mode, glmark2 give much much better result. In some tests, where on xorg i get 110 fps, on Sway i get 580fps, so probably there is something that hurt performance on xorg. On start glmark2 report "Lima MALI 450" on both wayland and xorg, so i'm sure to be using the lima driver (well, it is also pretty much impossible to get that performance on software rendering).

So if someone would like to try some wayland compositor, could get some nice performance boot using lima. Have Fun and thanks @Tommy21 for sharing your configuration, now i have xorg at least, working!

PS: glmark2 on drm mode give also very smooth performance, but the framerate is synchronized with screen refesh rate, so i don't know its maximum performance. Anyway is much smoother then xorg, even if xorg do 110fps and drm only 60 (my monitor refresh rate)

I tried to apply your same configuration regarding device, server flags and output class to my xorg config to see if could work and.... it did! After some research on the wiki page of lima, the developers says explicitly that lima runs on xorg using modesetting and glamor, so that explain why my xorg does not start. Anyway the performance are not very good, that is normal, it is experimental, but i have noticed that using Sway (a wayland compositor) in XWayland mode, glmark2 give much much better result. In some tests, where on xorg i get 110 fps, on Sway i get 580fps, so probably there is something that hurt performance on xorg. On start glmark2 report "Lima MALI 450" on both wayland and xorg, so i'm sure to be using the lima driver (well, it is also pretty much impossible to get that performance on software rendering).
So if someone would like to try some wayland compositor, could get some nice performance boot using lima. Have Fun and thanks [mention=3841]Tommy21[/mention] for sharing your configuration, now i have xorg at least, working!

PS: glmark2 on drm mode give also very smooth performance, but the framerate is synchronized with screen refesh rate, so i don't know its maximum performance. Anyway is much smoother then xorg, even if xorg do 110fps and drm only 60 (my monitor refresh rate)

Now i'm interested to see your configuration, part where you get these big glmark2 numbers, what packages are needed, can you share installation steps?

If display compositing is enabled with lima, i get pretty low glmark2 score, but the overall system feels a little smoother, not faster but with less glitches.

I broke my system a lot of times in the past, when i tried to make bigger changes in armbian, so step by step instruction would be appreciated.

1 hour ago, Tommy21 said:

Now i'm interested to see your configuration, part where you get these big glmark2 numbers, what packages are needed, can you share installation steps?

If display compositing is enabled with lima, i get pretty low glmark2 score, but the overall system feels a little smoother, not faster but with less glitches.

I broke my system a lot of times in the past, when i tried to make bigger changes in armbian, so step by step instruction would be appreciated.

Sure, there are no strange steps. I tried a lot of desktop environment installed simply from apt. The only thing that i have changed on my system is that i get packages from Debian Sid, transforming my system from stable updates to rolling release, so i get more updated packages compared to stable debian . You can switch adding some lines on apt edit-sources, but this will make your system unstable and unsecure (Sid is also called Debian Unstable) and the procedure will be, mostly, irreversible without breaking the apt system. If you can use your system without update to unstable, don't do it. I suggest before to test some of the following desktop environment , then if you want, i can guide you (it is not complicated, but it is IRREVERSIBLE, so you have to know what you are doing).

The desktop environment that i have tested:

- Weston v8.0.0-1: around 200fps, it is the wayland reference compositor, so it is the slowest. You can install directly from apt using "sudo apt install weston"

-Gnome(Wayland) v1:3.30+2: around 300-350fps. You can install directly from apt using "sudo apt install gnome-core" (gnome-core is for minimal gnome installation, for full installation of gnome and applications use "gnome"). Be sure to run this on wayland since it have also xorg version. You can check using "weston-info" command. If it gives you some infos, you are on wayland.

-Sway v1.4-2: around 500-600fps. You can install directly from apt using "sudo apt install sway". I have noticed that Debian Stable does not have Sway package, only Debian Sid have it. You can get a precompiled from debian packages (https://packages.debian.org/sid/sway) or from their git (https://github.com/swaywm/sway/releases/tag/1.4).

Since differences on packages versions, sway could not be possible to install from debian package without upgrading to Sid, but you could try. Installing the package in this way should not mess up your system since dependancies are untouched: if dependancies are satisfied, apt will install it, otherwise not. Sway is a bit different from others. It is a tiling window manager, so windows behave differently from the others that are stacking window manager.

-Wayfire v0.4.0: around 600-700fps. I have compiled and installed this from the git repository (probably that the reason for that fps count, it is much optimized for my system). It is composed by 3 programs: Window Manager(wayfire),Shell (that include panel and background) (wf-shell) and Config Manager(wcm). They can be retrieved from the repository pool with all build instructions: https://github.com/WayfireWM.

You could also use wf-install that they provide. It is a script that directly download and compile the 3 component mentioned before.

If you want i can guide you to install wayfire, but i would suggest to try at least one among the other, just to see if you get better performance that xorg, the other desktop environment are simply plug and play.

Have fun on testing :D

Sure, there are no strange steps. I tried a lot of desktop environment installed simply from apt. The only thing that i have changed on my system is that i get packages from Debian Sid, transforming my system from stable updates to rolling release, so i get more updated packages compared to stable debian . You can switch adding some lines on apt edit-sources, but this will make your system unstable and unsecure (Sid is also called Debian Unstable) and the procedure will be, mostly, irreversible without breaking the apt system. If you can use your system without update to unstable, don't do it. I suggest before to test some of the following desktop environment , then if you want, i can guide you (it is not complicated, but it is IRREVERSIBLE, so you have to know what you are doing).
- Weston v8.0.0-1: around 200fps, it is the wayland reference compositor, so it is the slowest. You can install directly from apt using "sudo apt install weston"
-Gnome(Wayland) v1:3.30+2: around 300-350fps. You can install directly from apt using "sudo apt install gnome-core" (gnome-core is for minimal gnome installation, for full installation of gnome and applications use "gnome"). Be sure to run this on wayland since it have also xorg version. You can check using "weston-info" command. If it gives you some infos, you are on wayland.
-Sway v1.4-2: around 500-600fps. You can install directly from apt using "sudo apt install sway". I have noticed that Debian Stable does not have Sway package, only Debian Sid have it. You can get a precompiled from debian packages (https://packages.debian.org/sid/sway) or from their git (https://github.com/swaywm/sway/releases/tag/1.4).
Since differences on packages versions, sway could not be possible to install from debian package without upgrading to Sid, but you could try. Installing the package in this way should not mess up your system since dependancies are untouched: if dependancies are satisfied, apt will install it, otherwise not. Sway is a bit different from others. It is a tiling window manager, so windows behave differently from the others that are stacking window manager.
-Wayfire v0.4.0: around 600-700fps. I have compiled and installed this from the git repository (probably that the reason for that fps count, it is much optimized for my system). It is composed by 3 programs: Window Manager(wayfire),Shell (that include panel and background) (wf-shell) and Config Manager(wcm). They can be retrieved from the repository pool with all build instructions: https://github.com/WayfireWM.
You could also use wf-install that they provide. It is a script that directly download and compile the 3 component mentioned before.
If you want i can guide you to install wayfire, but i would suggest to try at least one among the other, just to see if you get better performance that xorg, the other desktop environment are simply plug and play.

Have fun on testing

I have changed display manager from ldm to lxdm, i think gdm was installed too, now i have options on login screen.

I did install gnome core, wayland and weston, and i have gnome on xorg(x2 probably because mutter is preinstalled when installing gnome core?) and gnome classic to choose.

Gnome on xorg is slow, gnome classic is decent.

I have installed sway, but i don't know how to run it, i didn't get any option about it.

About wayfire, judging by the pictures, it really looks beautiful, it looks highly customizable and attractive, but i have some install.sh script error, judging by github, i am not the only one with it. There is some patch that should work, but i don't know how to apply it.

I would build it myself if i knew how, sometimes i really need detailed instructions from start to end, without skipping any step, and i can't find them every time, i am using windows my whole life, sometimes Linux is just hard.

I am using Ubuntu instead of Debian.

On 5/7/2020 at 2:14 AM, UniformBuffer said:

Have fun on testing :D

I try to install Gnome, Sway, and Weston by using "sudo apt install xxxx" on Debian buster desktop.  It installed successfully. But when I reboot the box, I cann't login to any desktop again. Could you please give us a comprehensive introduction including the system image, install procedure for the desktop environment, how to startup the new desktop environment? Thank you.

3 hours ago, xwfunny said:

I try to install Gnome, Sway, and Weston by using "sudo apt install xxxx" on Debian buster desktop.  It installed successfully. But when I reboot the box, I cann't login to any desktop again. Could you please give us a comprehensive introduction including the system image, install procedure for the desktop environment, how to startup the new desktop environment? Thank you.

What mean you can't login? It does not appear on the list of available desktop environment on the display manager you are using? If yes, probably the package miss to install the "x.desktop" file, where x is the desktop environment name, that is needed to the display manager to keep track of the available desktop environment in the system. If is that the case, you can start manually the desktop environment, at least to try if it work, then i will explain how to create and place them. You have to move on a different TTY (using ctrl+alt+*a number from 0 to 9*, login, and run the appropriate launch command:

-"sway" to run sway

-"weston-launch" to run weston

-"gnome-session" to run gnome (i'm not very sure, it does not work for me)

Like i said i have not made strange steps to run these desktop environment, i simply installed them from apt and they worked. If you give me some more information about errors and problems you get, i will help as i can :D

13 hours ago, UniformBuffer said:

What mean you can't login? It does not appear on the list of available desktop environment on the display manager you are using? If yes, probably the package miss to install the "x.desktop" file, where x is the desktop environment name, that is needed to the display manager to keep track of the available desktop environment in the system. If is that the case, you can start manually the desktop environment, at least to try if it work, then i will explain how to create and place them. You have to move on a different TTY (using ctrl+alt+*a number from 0 to 9*, login, and run the appropriate launch command:

-"sway" to run sway

-"weston-launch" to run weston

-"gnome-session" to run gnome (i'm not very sure, it does not work for me)

Like i said i have not made strange steps to run these desktop environment, i simply installed them from apt and they worked. If you give me some more information about errors and problems you get, i will help as i can :D

Thank you very much for your kindly reply. I install these desktop environment in ubuntu bionic. A dialog box pops up when I install gnome, let me choose which desktop environment to use. I choose gdm3 and reboot. After reboot, there are some errors in TTY, and cursor keeps flashing. If I press ctrl+alt+F4, I can see TTY let me to login. I can't see any dialog box list of available desktop environment. I'm sorry, I have reinstalled the system, so I can't show you the errors.

Edited by xwfunny

9 hours ago, xwfunny said:

After reboot, there are some errors in TTY, and cursor keeps flashing. If I press ctrl+alt+F4, I can see TTY let me to login. I can't see any dialog box list of available desktop environment. I'm sorry, I have reinstalled the system, so I can't show you the errors.

I have had cursor flashing too. Basically the gdm3 login manager cannot display it's content correctly. If i'm not wrong it was fixed by updating the mesa driver. Mine is v20.0.6-3, but keep in mind that i have a much updated package by debian sid.

I now have a strange issue, i am not sure if it's connected to lima or not, but i believe it probably is lima.

Text is missing from Kodi 18.6 ui menu, i can only see icons, nothing else, i've tried to reinstall it, but nothing has changed.

I am running Ubuntu focal kernel 5.7 rc6.

12 hours ago, Tommy21 said:

I now have a strange issue, i am not sure if it's connected to lima or not, but i believe it probably is lima.

Text is missing from Kodi 18.6 ui menu, i can only see icons, nothing else, i've tried to reinstall it, but nothing has changed.

I am running Ubuntu focal kernel 5.7 rc6.

I will try tonight with debian kernel 5.7 r6 with lima hardware acceleration. Just a question did you manage to have hardware video (decoding) acceleration with kodi?(not GUI with lima but video acceleration)

Edited by dante6913

I will try tonight with debian kernel 5.7 r6 with lima hardware acelleration. Just a question did you manage to have hardware video acelleration with kodi?
Kodi gui was accelerated in all these images i've tried recently, but i didn't check the videos, this was the first time i wanted to try it, i was happy with mpv so far.

I would like to discover what other configuration i need to change with lima, because i feel i am missing something.

I was checking manjaro xfce last week, and it worked better than these armbian images, mpv and kodi both worked, didn't have app window drawing over the screen when moving, but i don't have wifi driver so i gave up for now.

5 minutes ago, Tommy21 said:

Kodi gui was accelerated in all these images i've tried recently, but i didn't check the videos, this was the first time i wanted to try it, i was happy with mpv so far.

I would like to discover what other configuration i need to change with lima, because i feel i am missing something.

I was checking manjaro xfce last week, and it worked better than these armbian images, mpv and kodi both worked, didn't have app window drawing over the screen when moving, but i don't have wifi driver so i gave up for now.

But do you have hardware video acceleration with mpv?

I tried ubuntu focal with lima, but I felt it was heavy, and had a lot o crashes so I'm going to change to debian buster an see how will go

Edited by dante6913

14 minutes ago, dante6913 said:

I tried ubuntu focal with lima, but I felt it was heavy, and had a lot o crashes so I'm going to change to debian buster an see how will go

I'm using debian buster and lima works well on wayland. Running glmark2-es2-wayland i got (this is only the beginning of the test, if you need the full test i can make it):

Spoiler

=======================================================
    glmark2 2020.04
    OpenGL Information
    GL_VENDOR:     lima
    GL_RENDERER:   Mali450
    GL_VERSION:    OpenGL ES 2.0 Mesa 20.0.6
[build] use-vbo=false: FPS: 500 FrameTime: 2.000 ms
[build] use-vbo=true: FPS: 642 FrameTime: 1.558 ms
[texture] texture-filter=nearest: FPS: 628 FrameTime: 1.592 ms
[texture] texture-filter=linear: FPS: 636 FrameTime: 1.572 ms
[texture] texture-filter=mipmap: FPS: 667 FrameTime: 1.499 ms

Unfortunatly hardware decoding is not working yet. The mpv acceleration, from what i know, have nothing to do with lima, but with meson_vdec (for amlogic sbcs) or cedrus (for allwinner sbcs), so the problem should not be related with hardware deconding. Lima only provide 3D acceleration for applications, like games, desktop environment ecc. Can't wait to have hardware decoding available, so i can watch movies on my board :P

I didn't check video info, but i believe it is accelerated, i didn't see anything weird when playing it, but all this was just a short test.

What crashes do you have on Ubuntu?

Tbh i feel like Debian buster works better than Ubuntu, but i can't seem to enable lima driver on it.

12 minutes ago, UniformBuffer said:

I'm using debian buster and lima works well on wayland. Running glmark2-es2-wayland i got (this is only the beginning of the test, if you need the full test i can make it):

Hide contents

glmark2 2020.04
    OpenGL Information
    GL_VENDOR:     lima
    GL_RENDERER:   Mali450
    GL_VERSION:    OpenGL ES 2.0 Mesa 20.0.6
[build] use-vbo=false: FPS: 500 FrameTime: 2.000 ms
[build] use-vbo=true: FPS: 642 FrameTime: 1.558 ms
[texture] texture-filter=nearest: FPS: 628 FrameTime: 1.592 ms
[texture] texture-filter=linear: FPS: 636 FrameTime: 1.572 ms
[texture] texture-filter=mipmap: FPS: 667 FrameTime: 1.499 ms

Unfortunatly hardware decoding is not working yet. The mpv acceleration, from what i know, have nothing to do with lima, but with meson_vdec (for amlogic sbcs) or cedrus (for allwinner sbcs), so the problem should not be related with hardware deconding. Lima only provide 3D acceleration for applications, like games, desktop environment ecc. Can't wait to have hardware decoding available, so i can watch movies on my board :P

Yes I know tha hardware accelaration should be provided from meson-vdec that I think that is allready  in the kernel 5.7. But until now no one could provied a away to make it work.

Edited by dante6913

13 minutes ago, Tommy21 said:

I didn't check video info, but i believe it is accelerated, i didn't see anything weird when playing it, but all this was just a short test.

What crashes do you have on Ubuntu?

Tbh i feel like Debian buster works better than Ubuntu, but i can't seem to enable lima driver on it.

To enable lima on debian you have to use this script https://packagecloud.io/install/repositories/zhangn1985/mesa/script.deb.sh to install mesa on debian, then edit your xorg as you do in ubuntu

The crashes that I had in ubuntu happened when I had to click two time on a icon.

The script only works with debian buster, it will add a repository then you have to sudo apt install mesa

Edited by dante6913

On 5/12/2020 at 6:37 PM, UniformBuffer said:

I have had cursor flashing too. Basically the gdm3 login manager cannot display it's content correctly. If i'm not wrong it was fixed by updating the mesa driver. Mine is v20.0.6-3, but keep in mind that i have a much updated package by debian sid.

I successfully installed gdm3 on buster today. But the refresh rate on my 4K monitor was slow (about 30fps). If I changed the resolution to 1080p, the refresh rate could be 60fps. I could play 1080p mp4 video smoothly without fullscreen on xfce4, but there were too many lags on gdm3.

On 5/20/2020 at 1:24 PM, dante6913 said:

To enable lima on debian you have to use this script https://packagecloud.io/install/repositories/zhangn1985/mesa/script.deb.sh to install mesa on debian, then edit your xorg as you do in ubuntu

The crashes that I had in ubuntu happened when I had to click two time on a icon.

The script only works with debian buster, it will add a repository then you have to sudo apt install mesa

sudo apt-get install libgles2-mesa-dev=20.1.0-1