playing with lima(mesa mali drivers)

m][sko

7 hours ago, xwfunny said:

I successfully installed gdm3 on buster today. But the refresh rate on my 4K monitor was slow (about 30fps). If I changed the resolution to 1080p, the refresh rate could be 60fps. I could play 1080p mp4 video smoothly without fullscreen on xfce4, but there were too many lags on gdm3.

Gdm3 need hardware acceleration to work smoothly. If it is missing... yeah, it lag a lot. check that hardware acceleration is working.

8 hours ago, UniformBuffer said:

Gdm3 need hardware acceleration to work smoothly. If it is missing... yeah, it lag a lot. check that hardware acceleration is working.

If I run "glxinfo | grep OpenGL", I can see "OpenGL vendor string: lima; OpenGL renderer string: Mali450". Does this means hardware acceleration is working? If not, could you please tell me how to check? Thank you.

9 hours ago, xwfunny said:

If I run "glxinfo | grep OpenGL", I can see "OpenGL vendor string: lima; OpenGL renderer string: Mali450". Does this means hardware acceleration is working? If not, could you please tell me how to check? Thank you.

Yeah, if glxinfo report "lima" you are using hardware acceleration.

As @ning says, there is no way that you get smooth 4K on mali 450, it is simply not enough powerful. Every gpu have an optimal resolution that the rendering is optimized for. Generally is the same of it's framebuffer resolution, if it has one (i don't know if mali450 have an hardware framebuffer). It's like a painting canvas. It have a physical size and shape and generally you cannot render at a resolution greater than you framebuffer size (or maybe you can, but with a very high performance drop because it is compensated using software). I have very good performance on my tablet like monitor, that is a 1280x800 resolution. I know it's not a desktop like monitor, but in general mali450 was designed for phones (of old generations with low resolution displays, not the ones like the modern generation that have 5K resolution on 6" display).

Now i have display compositing enabled with compton, using xfce default compositing makes text and some other stuff look foggy, i don't know if i did use the right word, but hope you understand me.

But all the other stuff is more or less the same, glmark2 shows very low score, desktop feels accelerated and it runs very well.

I could live with that, but when i play video, it doesn't run well, the same thing is probably with games.

Good thing with chromium that it now works without using terminal command, but you can see that it needs more time to open the ui.

Is there any tweak or some app, that could make desktop to run without any glitches, but it doesn't affect playing videos or other stuff that is needed for the system?

Can someone explain, is this because the gpu is too slow, or is it just because lima is not mature enough, and things will probably get better, or is it maybe this way with xfce, you win some but you lose some?

33 minutes ago, Tommy21 said:

Can someone explain, is this because the gpu is too slow, or is it just because lima is not mature enough, and things will probably get better, or is it maybe this way with xfce, you win some but you lose some?

both, mali450 is slow, lima is not mature. disable composite would be better, and once HW cursor is enable by upstream, there will be a better performance.

my S905x, uses mate-desktop with metacity WM composite enabled, using mainline mesa, performance looks OK.