Request for new Video about current state of Armbian project

Hello,

The video from the "BalCCon2K17 conference presentation", seen here, is getting kind of old now.  I really enjoyed it (thanks @Igor) , however, could a newer video please be made, and posted there instead (or in addition to the old one, maybe above it)?

I'd like to hear how Armbian has progressed in the last 2 years, since that last video was made. 

Perhaps questions like the following could be addressed?

• What are the best, fastest new boards since that time, which have earned a status of "Supported"?  For example, which boards have very stable SATA, M.2/NVMe ports/slots which are great for potentially making a NAS out of?  Maybe with RAID?  (This might be an advantageous differentiator from the Raspberry Pi 4, which of course has no SATA, nor M.2/NVMe).
  • What new trends in the community have happened in the last 2 years?
  • What changes have happened in Armbian in the last 2 years?
  • What changes have happened in the Armbian build process, and build tools?
  • What common "killer apps" do people use Armbian-installed SBC's for?  For example, a NAS?

Freshly from the not official Armbian studios:

Armbian

the last 2 years

I would assume that even on a conference those topics wouldn't be presented:

On 9/8/2019 at 8:46 AM, esbeeb said:

• What are the best, fastest new boards since that time, which have earned a status of "Supported"?  For example, which boards have very stable SATA, M.2/NVMe ports/slots which are great for potentially making a NAS out of?  Maybe with RAID?  (This might be an advantageous differentiator from the Raspberry Pi 4, which of course has no SATA, nor M.2/NVMe).

it's a special use case, and the question comes up on a weekly to monthly repetition pattern.

What common "killer apps" do people use Armbian-installed SBC's for?  For example, a NAS?

that's simply user-side stuff, mostly unrelated to armbian as a project, but as a NAS example, OMV is quite common under armbian users cause the ARM maintainer of OMV is @tkaiser.

What changes have happened in Armbian in the last 2 years?

that's what changelogs are for.

I assume the major reason the video is on the page is not that we have a video but because it's a side-product of the conference. So chances to get a new video are rather low, except there would be a new talk about the project in another conference. And for such a talk I would propose other topics, like how to engage people to contribute or how to deal with different opinions etc.

But luckily for you, most of your questions can be answered with the search engine. :) and with text to speech it might feel like a video.

1 hour ago, chwe said:

So chances to get a new video

Yes, sadly I didn't even had time to get to the conference this year :( To at least  :beer: Two kids, wife, cat, full time job + full time project + "customers" daring to demand attention or solution on my expense sounds like mission impossible.

2 hours ago, chwe said:

like how to engage people

Anyone can make a presentation. In fact there were many presentations related to Armbian, but its hard to collect videos or track them. Some were made on local conferences in native languages ... Also @NicoD is making regular videos on various things related to Armbian.

I used to be an active Toastmaster.org for many years. There, one could learn presentation techniques within dry-run speeches, with competitions, etc. One could also learn how many weeks/months before you have to start working to deliver 30-45m speech properly. Conference ended past weekend and I should start to prepare today for 2020 .. if. This little time (and energy) I have now. For current I started with preparations two months before ... its a lot of stuff and you have to come out with something that is quality made and interesting enough to get peoples attention. You have to think over and over, change. Drop something, add something. Change and practice, practice, practice ...  

@chwe Thanks for helping me out :P

1 hour ago, Igor said:

@chwe Thanks for helping me out 

well it took a while to figure out that there are only a few desktop recording programs for wayland.. and without wayland a 13 inch full hd display sucks as desktop, due to x can only have 100% and 200% (both of them suck with gnome, wayland is capable of 125% which is just perfect). A small hint here.. gnome wayland on ubuntu doesn't record properly with a 125% zoom, so for recording you've to go back to 100% to get something 'useful' out of it.

1 hour ago, Igor said:

One could also learn how many weeks/months before you have to start working to deliver 30-45m speech properly.

well I better don't tell you how long I normally need to prepare presentations.. A good training is "spin the powerpoint", a 'game' we quite often played at university.. basically, you see the slides the at the same time as your audience (cause someone else wrote it). It needs a basic understanding of the topic, but you learn a lot about free speech (not the american meaning of it). :P You must also consider that your audience normally doesn't know your topic well, which gives you some freedom in the presentation (it doesn't have to be 100% 'scientific correct'.

15 minutes ago, chwe said:

well I better don't tell you how long I normally need to prepare presentations.. A good training is "spin the powerpoint", a 'game' we quite often played at university

At Toastmaster its organised this way:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Table_topic

Once you become pro (listener and presenter), you can easily spot those who prepared their "speeches" in 15 minutes or less :P And you notice almost all mistakes they made ...  

I'm always willing to make a video about any subject you guys choose.
Give me the details of what you want to see/hear and I'll do my best with it. 

@Igor Are you at the next Fossdem in Brussels? If so we could try to meet for an interview.
You do not need to prepare for that. Just repeat a sentence when it didn't come out right. I cut and paste everything so nobody notices mistakes.

Otherwise I could make a question list(and you can add questions you want to answer). And you could film yourself with a smart-phone answering the questions. I can then use that video and cut/paste my questions in between.

I'm also not a good presenter, so live questions over internet would come out badly. I always have to redo my intros many times for my videos until I feel it's acceptable. I always got more blooper footage than useable video :)