zswap failed

Mathias

Hi!

I've had for quite a while the following error messages at startup:

[   39.095667] zswap: default zpool zbud not available
[   39.095670] zswap: pool creation failed

This has happened with various 5.0, 5.1, 5.2 and now 5.3 kernels. Any idea what I should do to fix it?

Mathias

9 hours ago, Mathias said:

This has happened with various 5.0, 5.1, 5.2 and now 5.3 kernels. Any idea what I should do to fix it?

On which kernel specifically do you miss this feature?

Otherwise: # CONFIG_ZPOOL is not set -> CONFIG_ZPOOL=y

I have always been using precompiled kernels from Armbian or Ayufan. Right now, I am on 5.3rc4 from Armbian, when I do 'cat /boot/config-5.3.0-rc4-rockchip64 | grep ZPOOL' I get 'CONFIG_ZPOOL=y'. Everything should work, I've also tried adding lz4 and lz4_compress to /etc/initramfs-tools/modules, reran initramfs and rebooted, to no avail...

Here is by 'uname -a': Linux rockpro64 5.3.0-rc4-rockchip64 #5.96 SMP PREEMPT Thu Sep 5 17:01:09 CEST 2019 aarch64 GNU/Linux

Mathias

On a quick scan and compare with other configs, there is nothing wrong with the config and we didn't change anything relevant. Perhaps here

1 minute ago, Mathias said:

rc4

is the problem? 

I don't know, this is Armbian's dev kernel for the Rockpro64: from apt-cache: linux-image-dev-rockchip64 - Linux kernel, version 5.3.0-rc4-rockchip64 (ie I haven't recompiled it, I just took the pre-compiled package). I'm also wondering if I'm the only one to have this problem or if this is really a bug in the dev kernel...

2 minutes ago, Mathias said:

from apt-cache: linux-image-dev-rockchip64

DEV kernels (in stable repository) are auto-made - it would be the same if you build it on your own without any change. They are not tested and ... well, there must be bugs :) otherwise we would label them differently.

I was playing with it yesterday, but ... can't recall if there was an issue here since I was checking something else. Let's wait if someone else has tried it.

By the way, I've found another bug with the dev kernel (5.3.0-rc4): there is no possibility to control the fan anymore (/sys/class/hwmon/hwmon0/ does not exists anymore). It works fine on Ayufan's 5.3rc4 but not with Armbian's dev kernel.