H3 OpiZ+ base packages missing bionic

Fizzbane

I wanna start out and say I have been using Armbian for a year and it's been great. Thank you.

I have built many images over the year and have only noticed the issue recently.

I have noticed in the bionic builds for OpiZ+ that some base level packages are missing. The one I noticed was netplan. This is the new standard for bionic. I have not compiled a complete list of missing packages at this time.

I had built this image before around 5.0-5.1 kernel release without issue. Netplan was included. Current build at 5.3 RC does not include this package. I suspect that others may be removed.

Are these packages missing intentionally for a bionic build?

51 minutes ago, Fizzbane said:

Are these packages missing intentionally for a bionic build?

Yes. Our primary network manager is Network manager with old classic ifupdown as backup.

You can install and use Netplan if you wish.

I was under the impression netplan and network manager could be used in conjunction, that's the design of netplan. I believe that bionic also uses network manager by default as well but netplan is included as it generates the appropriate config files. It also hands these off during the boot process to the network renderer, either network manager or networkd.

https://netplan.io/

Do you know when this was removed from the builds? Possibly a commit number? I will likely fork and continue building bionic with the standard package list.

I'm also curious if any other base bionic packages were removed from Armbian bionic.

1 hour ago, Fizzbane said:

I was under the impression netplan and network manager could be used in conjunction, that's the design of netplan.

I am aware what Netplan brings but it also adds confusion and raises support costs. Armbian is maintained by a group of few people in their free time. We are not a billion dollar corporation. We can't maintain nor support so many network managers. We have the same setup on images that smell on Debian and those that smells like Ubuntu. Regardless of their sub releases/age.

For old school type people ifupdown rules the world. Even Network manager is totally unnecessary ... 

1 hour ago, Fizzbane said:

Do you know when this was removed from the builds? Possibly a commit number? I will likely fork and continue building bionic with the standard package list.

No. And its not that simple. Build system is changing all the time - kernel sources and packages are outside, yes , but (essential) bug fixing is not.

"standard package list" was never identical to Bionic. Or Debian ... never. Package relations and their versions are important to be the same. If you need netplan while building images -> https://docs.armbian.com/Developer-Guide_User-Configurations/#user-provided-image-customization-script

You can implement this back with another build script switch if you like. If done properly, it will be merged.

Armbian is maintained by a group of few people in their free time. We are not a billion dollar corporation. We can't maintain nor support so many network managers.

I completely understand and appreciate everything you all do for this community. There is a large labour of love here. I want to stress that I am not intending to be negative to the project. If anything, I'd like to better understand so that I can make constructive contributions to the community.

We have the same setup on images that smell on Debian and those that smells like Ubuntu. Regardless of their sub releases/age.

For old school type people ifupdown rules the world. Even Network manager is totally unnecessary ...  

I guess the part I am hung up on is calling the image "bionic" or "bionic-based" when it is missing specific operational changes for that release. Based off the name and suggested base version, bionic, I would expect or assume that the system changes described in the bionic release notes happened.

https://wiki.ubuntu.com/BionicBeaver/ReleaseNotes

In my mind, its like regressing from systemd (15.04 Ubuntu Vivid) to init.d (14 Ubuntu Trusty) and calling it still Ubuntu Vivid. Like sure, its still Ubuntu and may use newer Vivid packages but at a release level, it does not match. This is where my confusion comes from.

We can't maintain nor support so many network managers

Would this change not cause more issues as it is now an atypical build and searching "ubuntu bionic network configuration" will yield results for programs not installed on the system?

https://docs.armbian.com/Release_Changelog/

With the provided changelog I assumed removing these packages was a mistake as it was not noted. I get that not everyone wants to read crazy long changelogs but noting the removal of existing system packages would help.

You can implement this back with another build script switch if you like. If done properly, it will be merged.

As there were files associated with netplan, ie. /etc/netplan/01-armbian-default.yaml (or something pretty similar), originally provided with armbian bionic. As far as I was aware this setup worked properly, and I'd like to reimplement them as you have suggested. There are months worth of commits since I last pulled. Does anyone know who would have pushed this commit or when it would have happened? Going through months of commits for a needle in a haystack sounds fun and all but, lets be productive with time.