Armbian, OrangePI (PC) and Kodi

serge-404

Hi, ALL!

Have anybody success story with an Armbian and Kodi?

With Armbains 5.05...5.10 I installed (apt-get update ; apt-get install kodi) kodi 15.2 from this repository:

# kodi repos
# starting with debian jessie, debian provides kodi via its backports repository
# remember: those packages are not supported by team kodi
deb http://http.debian.net/debianjessie-backports main

as described here and allways (in all Armbian releases) has a problems with a sound: sound level very low ans high level noise starting even no video - beginning while kodi GUI started (permanent noise in menus). Film sound also exists while film started playing, but sound level near noise level and very low both (btw, kodi volume regulator not working, only mute mode working in kodi). I watched AC3, MP3, AAC sound coded films - effects are the same: noise with low volume soundtrack. All sound codecs are exists.

Interesting fact: "from_the_box" aplications sound are OK (but they are uncomfortable), problem with a Kody only.

If exists working howto about Armbian and Kodi - please share it.

has a problems with a sound

Maybe installing 'alsa-utils' and copying the following to /var/lib/alsa/ might resolve the issue (at least it's reported on Pine64 and Audio implementation there looks similar enough to H3 BSP kernel): https://github.com/longsleep/build-pine64-image/blob/master/blobs/asound.state

Disclaimer: Don't gave it a try. Sound support in Linux is sooo horrible that I refuse to touch this. Same applies to all H3 related questions in the meantime.

Well, Openelec is a second SD-card way (such as EmulatonStation for games). Put it one card (for film), put in second (for Inet), next put in first again (a film), put ... oh god... my sd slot is over. :(

Also, 2..3 partitions (I tested multyboot too) way is a recombination of ugly above solution - I want not to reboot every time then I need open .doc or watch film/TV or Inet browsing or etc.  I will fight for a single common solution. Lazy fight :)

True, openelec for OrangePis is working really well. Anyway it would be nice to be able to run kodi on armbian too.

I run Armbian and Openelec on two separate orange Pi ones.

The Open elec is a VERY paired down version of Linux and only runs the MEDIA player. All be it brilliantly.

The Armbian is great for web surfing  and file serving etc. But I am not sure with all the Armbian processes running,  that there is enough Horse Power left in the system to run a HEVC highly compressed .mkv video file without the sound going out of sink etc.

My very happy situation is a $12.00 Orange PI one for Openelec media centre and another Orange Pi One running  Armbian for everything else.

I run Armbian and Openelec on two separate orange Pi ones.

The Open elec is a VERY paired down version of Linux and only runs the MEDIA player. All be it brilliantly.

The Armbian is great for web surfing  and file serving etc. But I am not sure with all the Armbian processes running,  that there is enough Horse Power left in the system to run a HEVC highly compressed .mkv video file without the sound going out of sink etc.

My very happy situation is a $12.00 Orange PI one for Openelec media centre and another Orange Pi One running  Armbian for everything else.

running h.265 is no problem at all in armbian (to install, follow this http://forum.armbian.com/index.php/topic/1129-h265/)

core utilization is pretty good also ~20%

i think kodi should be working fine in armbian, but so far nobody has good recipe to install kodi in armbian

Which audio output do you use? There is a bug in analog output - it says that it supports audio formats which in reality it can't, namely 24 bit audio. If you patch it (check this and this patch), sound output should work normally.

I have installed Kodi from Jessie Backports and run into the soundproblem. Although there are three soundcards (HDMI I2S and  Analog output) in my system, i can not select the Device in Kodi; analog out is set. After connecting an Usb Soundcard, it is possible to choose the Output Device. Via Usb the Sound is clear without any Distortions.

Regards

Building Kodi from Source was not the Thing I wanted to do. (In fact i am to dumb to patch sources... :( ) I have installed Kodi 16.1 from Jessie Backports out of the Repos on Top of  Armbian Desktop. So at first I wanted to check if Kodi is broken somehow. It is not, it is working with USB Soundcards. So the Problem is that the Soundcards can not play S24_LE Soundformat. I don´t know if this is really a Kernel or Driver Problem because "

speaker-test  -D hw:0 -c2 --format S24_LE

" returns an Error Message at once: (where hw:0 is the anlog Output)

speaker-test 1.0.28

Format S24_LE is not supported...

So if that is the Problem, there should be a simple Hotfix by editing the .asoundrc and lock the Soundformat to a supported one,  i have choosen  S32_LE in my Example

At first i have deleted asound.conf 

sudo rm /etc/asound.conf

Next is looking for the enumeration of the Soundcards:

pi@orangepipc:~$ cat /proc/asound/cards
 0 [audiocodec     ]: audiocodec - audiocodec
                      audiocodec
 1 [snddaudio      ]: snddaudio - snddaudio
                      snddaudio
 2 [sndhdmi        ]: sndhdmi - sndhdmi
                      sndhdmi

So in my case 0 is the anlog Out, 1 I2S Audio, 2 HDMI. so an easy first shot .asoundrc file is this (for using HDMI ; card 2 if you want to choose another Output change the Number of card 2 to the desired one...) :

pcm.snd_card {
        type hw
        card 2
        device 0
}

ctl.snd_card {
        type hw
        card 2
        device 0
}

pcm.dmixer {
    type dmix
    ipc_key 1024
    ipc_perm 0666       
    slave.pcm "snd_card"
    slave {
        period_time 0
        period_size 1024
        buffer_size 4096
        rate 44100
        format S32_LE
        channels 2 
    }
    bindings {
        0 0
        1 1
    }
}

you can create this file with 

nano .asoundrc

and paste the Things above. The .asoundrc file is stored in your Home Directory. Now it is possible to choose sndhdmi as Audio out in Kodi.

Regards

You have done similar thing that is done in the patches. One patch "forbids" using 24 bit sound output and other properly founds all sound outputs and mark sndhdmi output as HDMI audio output (it is threated a bit in a special way, like enabled passthrough and other things). This is as far as you can get without patching. HW video decoding needs some changes, on which I intend to work in the future.

Building Kodi from Source was not the Thing I wanted to do. (In fact i am to dumb to patch sources... :( ) I have installed Kodi 16.1 from Jessie Backports out of the Repos on Top of  Armbian Desktop. So at first I wanted to check if Kodi is broken somehow. It is not, it is working with USB Soundcards. So the Problem is that the Soundcards can not play S24_LE Soundformat. I don´t know if this is really a Kernel or Driver Problem because "

speaker-test  -D hw:0 -c2 --format S24_LE

" returns an Error Message at once: (where hw:0 is the anlog Output)

speaker-test 1.0.28

Format S24_LE is not supported...

So if that is the Problem, there should be a simple Hotfix by editing the .asoundrc and lock the Soundformat to a supported one,  i have choosen  S32_LE in my Example

At first i have deleted asound.conf 

sudo rm /etc/asound.conf

Next is looking for the enumeration of the Soundcards:

pi@orangepipc:~$ cat /proc/asound/cards
 0 [audiocodec     ]: audiocodec - audiocodec
                      audiocodec
 1 [snddaudio      ]: snddaudio - snddaudio
                      snddaudio
 2 [sndhdmi        ]: sndhdmi - sndhdmi
                      sndhdmi

So in my case 0 is the anlog Out, 1 I2S Audio, 2 HDMI. so an easy first shot .asoundrc file is this (for using HDMI ; card 2 if you want to choose another Output change the Number of card 2 to the desired one...) :

pcm.snd_card {
        type hw
        card 2
        device 0
}

ctl.snd_card {
        type hw
        card 2
        device 0
}

pcm.dmixer {
    type dmix
    ipc_key 1024
    ipc_perm 0666       
    slave.pcm "snd_card"
    slave {
        period_time 0
        period_size 1024
        buffer_size 4096
        rate 44100
        format S32_LE
        channels 2 
    }
    bindings {
        0 0
        1 1
    }
}

you can create this file with 

nano .asoundrc

and paste the Things above. The .asoundrc file is stored in your Home Directory. Now it is possible to choose sndhdmi as Audio out in Kodi.

Regards

Working perfectly on the Orange Pi One. Just had to change "Card 2" to "Card 1". Also, kodi would not load any media if the /etc/asound.conf file was missing. Recreating the file with the new contents as above fixed the problem

On 26.04.2017 г. at 3:08 PM, hostkit said:

This is some good work. Interface and menu navigation take no more than 20% CPU usage. But video is not h/w accelerated, as expected. Although, this is the smoothest s/w playback in Kodi i ever seen so far and it's newer 17 build. Even 1080p is almost playable. Really impressive. But not useful enough again, without VPU usage for video. Nothing can beat @jernej OpenELEC for now. Maybe if somebody skillful enough, port @mosterta build with vdpau for A20, to =>H3. But this build is not easy even for it's native A10/20 platform, so i am not optimistic.