rk3328 vs rk3318 which one should I choose?

hetao

I recently wanted to buy a tv box, but I don't know much about the technical parameters, h96 max vs h96 max plus, I feel that these two products are similar, the main difference seems to be that the chipset is not the same. So rk3328 vs rk3318 Which one should I choose?

Theoretically rk3318 is a cheap version of rk3328. We don't know yet perfectly what rockchip means with "cheap version", what is stripped down and what has been removed from rk3328 that makes it less expensive because there is no datasheet, no official launch and no technical documents about.

It's just my guessing that maybe they reduced the video encoding/decoding media features, but some other people said that the rk3318 has a bit more powerful GPU than rk3328, and on par with s905x (which is a bit strange, because rk3318 should be the cheaper version...)

edit: ah, rk3328 has support from armbian and mainline kernel, 3318 in theory is exactly the same but still does not appear officially anywhere

On 9/24/2019 at 4:38 AM, jock said:

Theoretically rk3318 is a cheap version of rk3328. We don't know yet perfectly what rockchip means with "cheap version", what is stripped down and what has been removed from rk3328 that makes it less expensive because there is no datasheet, no official launch and no technical documents about.

It's just my guessing that maybe they reduced the video encoding/decoding media features, but some other people said that the rk3318 has a bit more powerful GPU than rk3328, and on par with s905x (which is a bit strange, because rk3318 should be the cheaper version...)

edit: ah, rk3328 has support from armbian and mainline kernel, 3318 in theory is exactly the same but still does not appear officially anywhere

Then I guess this much cheaper H96 max rk3318 is more suitable for me

On 10/24/2019 at 8:22 AM, hetao said:

Then I guess this much cheaper H96 max rk3318 is more suitable for me

I want to underline that AFAIK rk3318 is still missing support from opensource communtiy, it does not even boot (ie: no documentation, no source code, ...)

If you don't want to run armbian or any other Linux distro soon and possibly never, it could be.

Personally I would not choose rk3318 for anything at the moment. S905X2 and S905X3 are in a better shape according to http://www.linux-meson.com and have more modern hardware on board

On 10/26/2019 at 8:01 PM, jock said:

I want to underline that AFAIK rk3318 is still missing support from opensource communtiy, it does not even boot (ie: no documentation, no source code, ...)

If you don't want to run armbian or any other Linux distro soon and possibly never, it could be.

Personally I would not choose rk3318 for anything at the moment. S905X2 and S905X3 are in a better shape according to http://www.linux-meson.com and have more modern hardware on board

Thank you for your advice

• Werner locked this topic