Kobol Helios4 Case Adapted for Raspberry Pi 3b Review

joshua881

Hello Armbian community,

Here is a project of adjusting the Kobol Helios4 case for a Raspberry Pi 3B and either 2.5" or 3.5" HDD, as well as a 92mm FAN and a USB hub.

This is my first SketchUp project (I've used the 2016 trial version).

The Raspberry Pi will be screwed in the bottom and powered through the micro usb. That's why I've left more room on that side.

We can fit either 4x2.5" or 3x3.5" at any "deep" level.

I've left room for a USB hub because I want to reuse my existing spare one. We can maybe come with a better idea, more universal (eg. dual output 12v and 5v of at least 90w, or a Molex fanless PSU unit. The latter would be nice, but the max that I've found was 75w). If you have a nice idea here, easy to use, it would be cool.

More here.

Thanks

capture_2019-09-22_20-59-12.png

capture_2019-09-22_21-01-08.png

It's a nice idea if you have all the hardware already and have cheap (school/makerspace/etc) access to a laser cutter.

I'd be concerned that you're pushing data for 4 HD's through a usb hub to one of the Pi3's ports, which is also an (internal) usb2 hub... which is shared with the ethernet.

The Pi3B+ ethernet can do ~300 mbps if you're not using the USB for anything else.  Half that bandwidth will be used pulling data from the disks, so you'll be lucky to get ~150mbps.

If you're dead set on a pi, I'd recommend considering the Pi4, as the ethernet is no longer shared on a single USB root port.

Thanks for your both feedbacks.

The shared design isn't perfect, i'm working on updating it to fix some bugs. 

Yes, @devman, as you know, I've only a Pi 3B+ and few HDD that I just want to use. I know that the bandwidth isn't perfect, but it does what I want.

The laser cut printing in Acrylic should cost ~20 USD on Ponoko. Sculpteo seems to be much more expensive 34 USD.

I may buy the next Kobol Helios4 board once available.

Did someone quote the Helios4 board? I don't know if it's doable by reusing the schematics and ordering it online.

On 9/22/2019 at 12:09 PM, joshua881 said:

Here is a project of adjusting the Kobol Helios4 case for a Raspberry Pi 3B

Cool - note that one should reference the Pi3B layout, but there are other boards that would likely fit into this design (including boards like the Pi4 and Tinker/TinkerS)

For power - leave some room for proper power - microUSB is always a challenge, but folks work around that limitation by going to the 40 pin and getting power applied there.