RESOLVED: Bananapi M1 Bionic mainline 4.19.y: no HDMI video

ww9rivers

My BPi M1 board is working fine, but the old bananalinux is no longer updating. So I downloaded Armbian Bionic mainline image as it is supported.

However, after I boot it up, I get no HDMI video signal. I know that the BPi is working as I can see its IP address on my router and ping it.

Any suggestions? Try a different image? Build my own?

Thank you in advance for helping.

Edited by ww9rivers
resolved.

7 hours ago, Igor said:

Boot with HDMI attached and stop by here and read.

Thank you very much for responding. What you said are what I had done, prior to coming here for help.

I did not see anything specific in the documentation about HDMI or what could cause it to not function properly.

I guess the option is to go to the serial console. I was hoping for a way to get HDMI video.

2 minutes ago, ww9rivers said:

I was hoping for a way to get HDMI video.

HDMI 100% works. We have thousands of happy users on A20 based hardware ... A20 is really very well supported.

- check / use different HDMI cable

- check / use different power supply

- check / use different SD card

Attach serial console to see what you get there.

25 minutes ago, Igor said:

HDMI 100% works. We have thousands of happy users on A20 based hardware ... A20 is really very well supported.

- check / use different HDMI cable

- check / use different power supply

- check / use different SD card

Attach serial console to see what you get there.

1. Used different HDMI cables and different monitors;

2. Used different power supplies as well

3. Used different SD cards -- although not with the same image.

The thing is, with the Armbian Bionic downloaded image, the BPi boots -- as I stated, I did see its IP address and it responded to pings. Just no HDMI video.

Also, with all things equal, the old SD card still boots fine, with HDMI console.

I guess I'll try serial console when I get back to it.

Sorry it's been a while. Just wanted to say that Igor was right: The problem had been the SD card.

I misunderstood the BPi's boot process, which actually attaches the BPi to the network and tries to boot off the network when the SD card doesn't work, which explains the activities on the network side.

Once I attached to the UART serial console, it immediately became clear to me what was wrong.

So thanks to Igor for the help.