OrangePi Zero H2 Ram Upgrade

_Luc4sss

Hi,
First of all i'm NOT a software developer and i have NO one skill on this kind of board's hardware...
I've a good soldering skill, so just for fun i've bought a new RAM module for my OrangePi Zero Board...

I've bought a K4B4G1646E-BYMA RAM module and then i've replace the onboard module...
All of the work gone fine, the OrangePi Zero still boot and work perfectly, but i was hoping to upgrade the RAM on the board...
After the boot, in the welcome screen the, the RAM amount is now 512MB (494MB) and before was 256MB...
The RAM amount is now increased, but not like expected...

I've choose the K4B4G1646E RAM module because, theoretically, it was a 4GB RAM module...

What's was wrong? I cannot upgrade the memory in this way? Have i to edit something in the FEX file?

Thanks in advance,
Luca

Ps. my OrangePi Zero come without an inductor, that's why you see an horrible inductor in my board

photo_2019-09-26_14-19-58.jpg

photo_2019-09-26_14-19-55.jpg

photo_2019-09-26_14-19-52.jpg

3 hours ago, _Luc4sss said:

The RAM amount is now increased, but not like expected...

Since the PCB itself doesn't route the extra address lines to the SoC, you can't expect to see bigger DDR size than the one provided by manufacturer.

And you're lucky that it still boot, because the extra address lines left unplugged on the DDR are floating, therefore any ESR on those lines could change the current bank and memory could becomes corrupted...

1 hour ago, guidol said:

Thats right - but anyone can miss this little difference:
4Gb (GigaBit) != 4GB (GigaByte)

https://www.samsung.com/semiconductor/dram/ddr3/K4B4G1646E-BYMA/

Density     4 Gb

Org.    512M x 8

Package  96FBGA

Yep.  Sorry if I came out snarky, guidol's right, it's an easy mistake to make.

Still impressed you managed swap the ram chip.